duke admissions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by clayito, Sep 18, 2002.

1. clayito

clayito Member

i'm an undergrad student looking to apply to duke next summer. i'm a native american with around a 3.7 gpa at a respectable school, but i'm not sure my mcat will be quite up to duke's average. based on a practice mcat i have already taken, i think i can make around a 10 or 11 on each section of the test (a few points below duke's average). does anyone think that i have a chance of getting in? by the way, i'm new to sdn :) thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    It's hard to predict these things. Here's my 2 cents.

Don't worry about this until you get your MCAT numbers back. Your GPA is fine and med schools definately want to recruit native americans. If you have good extracirriculars, LORs, and an MCAT above 30 (the higher the better), I think you will have a good shot at top schools like Duke.

Welcome to SDN and Good luck!

4. Veilside

Veilside Senior Member

You're a native american? You're in. :D

5. doepug

doepug Senior Member

How crass.

Study hard, do your best on the MCAT. No one can reliably predict your chances of admission, but your GPA will definitely make someone look over your application closely. Chances are good that you will be a competitive applicant if you maintain your grades and have an MCAT of at least 30.

Best of luck,

doepug
    MS III, Johns Hopkins

6. pathdr2b

pathdr2b Banned
    Banned

With a 3.7 GPA and MCAT scores in the double digits, you're probably get into EVERY top medical school in the US AND at the very least, have ALL of them trying to recruit you. Every URM I've ever known that scored in the "double digits" on the MCAT received personal phone calls from Duke begging them to apply!

I'd say go for it and while you're at it, add Harvard too!

7. All-Star14

All-Star14 Wants to Rock Wit U

You never know until you try. So give it a shot!:clap: Good luck to you next year!

8. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

You have a good chance at a lot of schools, including many top ones. Admissions isn't just about the MCAT, although you are probably going to have a pretty strong score on that too.

-RA

9. clayito

clayito Member

does anyone know how many LOR's i will need when applying to duke? if anyone has been through this process, let me know. thanks.

10. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Welcome to SDN! :) Most schools require 3 letters, 2 science and 1 non-science (and I assume you will be applying to more schools than just Duke! It would be a very good idea to do so!!) That's if your school doesn't have a pre-med committee which collects letters and then writes a composite letter. In that case, most schools require you to use the composite (the committee may or may not send along all the letters the composite is based on).

11. i would apply, for sure