1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Duke board scores

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by unicorn06, Nov 30, 2005.

1. unicorn06

unicorn06 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Does anyone know how Duke tends to do on the boards and when they take it? I was wondering if the condensed curriculum impacts the board scores and also if they take the boards after 1st year or if they wait until after the clinical year.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jagleaso

Jagleaso Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not sure. but i know in the past few years Loma Linda has been banging out 97+ percent pass rates lol! :smuggrin:

4. lattimer13

lattimer13 good boy!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    so do most other schools. just about everyone passes step 1 and the percentage for step 2 is even higher.

5. bobito

bobito Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

They didn't give me an exact number ever. But I heard 1-1.5 above the mean....and also near 20 points above the mean. Which I take to mean around 230ish...Which is probably comparable to schools of equal caliber. No matter what the board scores actually are...The students seem to get into some really great residency programs.

6. TommyGunn04

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm a current Duke student and would be glad to try and answer this question. The last average Step 1 score I've heard was 234 (national average of ~217), from 1-2 years ago. This supposedly placed Duke at the second highest in the nation, after Penn, in Step 1 scores. We've been told that this year the average is closer to 240, although I don't know the specific number. But the basic message is that clear: Duke students do VERY well on Step 1! In part it may be due to the fact that we're not required to take the boards at a specific time in medical school, and thus can tailor our studying as we wish. We also get to take Step 1 AFTER we've already done our core clinical clerkships, which I believe provides an advantage on the boards. (although Step 1 is billed as a "basic science exam," its content is very clinical, so early exposure makes a difference)

I hope that helps :)