Given these choices, which one would you pick?

• Columbia

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • University of Michigan

Votes: 22 14.1%
  • George Washington

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Duke

Votes: 50 32.1%

• Total voters

Rugger81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
If you were accepted to all of these schools, which would you choose? Why?

Duke
Columbia
George Washington
U. Michigan

Don't worry, I haven't been accepted to any of them. I'm just curious. :D

AnnieShiro

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
Status
Rugger81 said:
If you were accepted to all of these schools, which would you choose? Why?

Duke
Columbia
George Washington
U. Michigan

Don't worry, I haven't been accepted to any of them. I'm just curious. :D
Columbia or Duke. Duke seems to have great financial aid and I love the way its curriculum is structured. I'm not as excited about Columbia's curriculum (traditional, and nothing wrong with that) and its aid doesn't seem quite as good. But after spending 4 undergrad. years in Ithaca, anywhere in the vicinity of NYC looks mighty fine... so I guess in the end, Columbia.

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Why is george washington there? That's like Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley, or Kia?

dopaminophile

nerd extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status
I like how they decided to name a medical school after a guy whose doctors killed him.

OP
R

Rugger81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
MWillie said:

I know a girl who chose George Washington over Duke. She loved being in DC and all the opportunities GW offered.

OP
R

Rugger81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
MWillie said:
AnnieShiro said:
OMG!! I know the same girl! She threw herself off George Washington Bridge when she realized she was an idiot.

I wonder if everyone on SDN is as stuck up as the people responding to this poll.

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AnnieShiro said:
OMG!! I know the same girl! She threw herself off George Washington Bridge when she realized she was an idiot.
:laugh: :laugh: :D

AnnieShiro

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
Status
Rugger81 said:
I wonder if everyone on SDN is as stuck up as the people responding to this poll.
Okay, I didn't mean to come off so harsh. But, do you ever get the sense that people often vote for schools that only offered them interviews? As kind of a means to validate their successes and deflate their failures? I saw some thread a while back that asked if you would pick Einstein/NYU/MSSM or Cornell/Columbia. I'm sure there are a few isolated cases, but really.

evajaclynn

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
Kansas City
Status
Medical Student
DC is awesome - I say GW.

Cartman80

Respect my authority.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
New Jersey
Status
AnnieShiro said:
Okay, I didn't mean to come off so harsh. But, do you ever get the sense that people often vote for schools that only offered them interviews? As kind of a means to validate their successes and deflate their failures? I saw some thread a while back that asked if you would pick Einstein/NYU/MSSM or Cornell/Columbia. I'm sure there are a few isolated cases, but really.

Why you no like GW?

boyz of 4d

Proud Member of 4d
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
From reading more and more posts I've come to realize one thing about SDN. A lot of the posters are dickheads. Yeah GW may not be up to par with duke, columbia, and u mich, but any need to bash it? Sorry to inform some of the almighty students who get into the ivies, that GW is a top choice for some applicants (gasp). Think about this, going to an Ivy league medical school does NOT make you a better doctor. I'd personally rather have a GW doctor who wasn't snobby and stuck up instead of a graduate of an ivy league who thought he was better then everyone else.

OP
R

Rugger81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
AnnieShiro said:
Sure maybe. But your comment had nothing to do with voting. I said I knew a girl who chose George Washington over Duke, and you essentially said a person like that should throw herself off a bridge for being an idiot. Why not just say outright that you think George Washington is sh1t compared to the other schools?

bjackrian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
Denver, CO
Status
Attending Physician
If I got into Duke (please, please, please!) it would be a really hard decision for me. I love DC and living there would be fantastic for me. Plus GW does a really good job of getting MD students involved with public policy issues, which is important for me. At the same time, I look Duke's curriculum better and MD/M. Public Policy program would be really good for me. To add to that, my fiancee is a poli sci/Int'l Relations major and so DC would be great for her.

Anyway, just pointing out that there are definitely valid reasons to go to either school--it just comes down to what best meets your individual needs. Best of luck deciding!

blump

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
Status
Rugger81 said:
Sure maybe. But your comment had nothing to do with voting. I said I knew a girl who chose George Washington over Duke, and you essentially said a person like that should throw herself off a bridge for being an idiot. Why not just say outright that you think George Washington is sh1t compared to the other schools?
because she is an ass

TheElephant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2004
NC
Status
I know some students who have chosen UNC over Duke. It all depends on one's prefrence for school environment, curriculum etc, as for some unlike others rankings do not matter much.

dopaminophile

nerd extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status
cmon Duke!

YzIa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
Status
This is a great thread!
You have the SDN crowd pointing out that one of the four schools in the comparison does not belong, and that it is arguably* inferior in many ways. Which I love.

You have the OP and his supporters vilifying the SDN crowd for pointing out the fact that one of those schools does not belong and insinuating them as rank whores. Which I also find amusing.

And I really really love the Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley, Kia post. It really fits. Some people would rather have a Kia, or would be more comfortable in a Kia though its an inferior car. Whether this is a coping mechanism because they can't have a Bentley, or if they truly enjoy the Kia, eh.

* flame ******ant

YzIa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
Status
Columbia!

because

Duke = South, I am bias.
U Mich = lovely 2nd place, but I think NYC is the place to be
GW = I'll stay instate

AnnieShiro

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
Status
Rugger81 said:
1. Fine. I think GW is sh1t compared to other schools.
2. I concede that there are a couple of very rare and incomparably extenuating circumstances that would motivate someone to choose GW (full ride, fiancee, bump on the head?).
3. YzIa's flame ******ent post was so conciliatory I almost regret my initial sarcasm. :)

ms2209

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
Status
MWillie said:
LMFAO!!!! Amen to that...

OP
R

Rugger81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
AnnieShiro said:
2. I concede that there are a couple of very rare and incomparably extenuating circumstances that would motivate someone to choose GW (full ride, fiancee, bump on the head?).
3. YIza's post was so conciliatory I almost regret my initial sarcasm. :)

haha. you really are an ass.

YzIa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
Status
AnnieShiro said:
3. YzIa's flame ******ent post was so conciliatory I almost regret my initial sarcasm. :)
I didn't mean for my post to be quite so pleasant!
Love all your points.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
always in the last place i look
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
YzIa said:
This is a great thread!
You have the SDN crowd pointing out that one of the four schools in the comparison does not belong, and that it is arguably* inferior in many ways. Which I love.

You have the OP and his supporters vilifying the SDN crowd for pointing out the fact that one of those schools does not belong and insinuating them as rank whores. Which I also find amusing.

And I really really love the Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley, Kia post. It really fits. Some people would rather have a Kia, or would be more comfortable in a Kia though its an inferior car. Whether this is a coping mechanism because they can't have a Bentley, or if they truly enjoy the Kia, eh.

* flame ******ant
fabulous post. you've got the SDNers who think they're better than other people because they have more prestige attached with their academic institutions, and the SDNers who think they're better than those people because they're above all that meany-face poo-poo. the irony abounds. ;)

for my opinion: michigan, with duke being a close second. they are then followed by columbia and gw. and i didn't apply to any of these schools, anyway, so there's no favortism (or even deep, substantive knowledge!) on my part.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
I'd rather go anywhere than be a weasel :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

www.dictionary.com

wol·ver·ine Audio pronunciation of "wolverine" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wlv-rn, wlv-rn)
n.

A solitary, burrowing carnivorous mammal (Gulo gulo) of northern forest regions, related to the weasel and having a heavyset body, short legs, dark fur, and a bushy tail. Also called carcajou, glutton, skunk bear.

TommyGunn04

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2002
Durham, NC
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Getting back to the topic at hand, I'd choose Duke. Of course, I'm biased, because I in fact DID choose Duke. For me it was all about the curriculum, hands down. I didn't want to be stuck in a classroom any longer than I had to be, because I knew I'd learn much better on the wards, doing hands-on things and being able to put medical knowledge into a real context, the way it's actually practiced. Sitting in on class at Columbia, I knew right away that it wasn't for me. In fact, in my experience, Columbia was completely the opposite of Duke.

Here's the impression I got:

Duke = suburby, must have car, very cheap nice housing, unique curriculum, happy students
Columbia = city, car? hahaha!, subsidized school housing, very standard didactic stuffy curriculum, not-so-happy students

Of course, this was the just impression I got, about 3 years ago, and I'm sure there are lots of happy people at Columbia. I'm just saying that I absolutely knew it wasn't for me. It was a really really easy choice in my mind. But to each his own, as the expression goes. There's something for everyone.

Oh, and I didn't even apply to Michigan because I hate cold weather.