Duke & Cornell???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows what's up with Duke and Cornell?

Does Duke have rolling admissions? I interviewed there a couple of months ago but for the life of me I can't remember what they said about their process (I gave my info folder to a friend who just went on an interview there so I don't have any of their pamphlets.)

Also, I received a letter from Cornell soon after my interview telling me they send their decisions out in the spring, but on other message boards I have read that applicants have already been getting in or rejected.

Does anyone have any info about these schools? I'm a bit in the dark.

Members don't see this ad.

Cornell: Of interviewed candidates, approx. 20% accepted, 50% rejected, and 30% on wait list by March. Most acceptances and rejections are announced by March 15. Hang in.

Duke: Does not use rolling admissions. Acceptances mailed last week of February.
Wait list of about 100 in April. Fewer than 10 make it off the wait list, usually in June.

Gower: I haven't heard a thing from them since I submitted my secondary in August (also took Aug MCAT). Are they still offering interviews?

PS. You know so much -- are you a premed advisor?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Jimi. I just talked to someone at Duke and they said they have been reviewing applications slowly. They may interview through the beginning of March, which may cause the rolling one date thing to get pushed back. I am curious; where have you been accepted already and where are you still waiting to hear from? What is your favorite school or schools?

I just called Duke; and asked the staff specifically about rolling admissions: in fact they are NOT! (at least not till the end of February)...which should make us August MCATers feel a little more at ease.

In fact you can go to their website, which says, under the "Selection" category, "The earliest date of notification of acceptance is in February for students entering the following August."

This is @ http://www2.mc.duke.edu/som/buladmis.html#select

Btw, I am interviewing there next month...any thoughts, advice, pointers about Durham, students, and that curriculum which stuffs everything in one year?

gower, I am also curious: who are you? a student who applied to all these schools, premed advisor, or something even more unmentionable
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Oceandust (edited 01-24-2001).]

Cornell says they interview until March 1.
BUT, that may mean also that they have already scheduled February interviews.
If you call the Admissions Office and ask EVER SO POLITELY if you are on the list to be interviewed, they may tell you, or not.

I run a spy network; I am Bond, James Bond. I like to help people, so I accepted my five year mission to help those who need what help I am able to give. My Miss Moneypenny is really Mr. Spock who dispenses wisdom and a benediction: "Live long and prosper." When Mr. Spock is on an away mission, a Spaceball, Mel Brooks, subs with "May the Schwartz be with you."

From reading the questions in all these posts I came to the conclusion that there IS nothing more unmentionable than "premedical advisor." Why else so many questions which can be best answered by your premedical advisors?

Ah, gower, you see though not all premed advisors are created equal nor do students have equal access to them, depending on the school and many other factors. Or, they may be like me, and not even in school but working, and so don't have any advisors at their disposal. That's why it's nice to have those like you.

Christiangirl:

I have been accepted to several schools that I've mentioned on various posts. But as of now, it's looking like Hopkins.

Since I went crazy and applied to way too many schools, I'm still waiting to hear back from 7 schools that I interviewed at (UCSF, which is starting to look like a lost cause, Harvard, Yale, Duke, Cornell, UCLA, Vanderbilt).

Anyway, I've realized that if I keep telling myself that I'm going to Hopkins, my anxiety level gets dramatically reduced. It's nice to think the whole process is over (even if it really isn't.)
smile.gif

Jimi, and others, may I suggest something to make your life a little less crazy and, as an added benefit, you can start helping people now, even before you become an MD.
You have interviewed at many first rate medical schools and been accepted by one, JH. While you were interviewing you should/must have spent some time speaking with med students, touring the facilities, getting a sense of what financial aid you are likely to get, and have a feeling of which seem better choices. Why wait until the med schools go to the trouble of making acceptance decisions on you? Surely you have an idea of which schools, for whatever reasons, you will withdraw from anyway.
By withdrawing now, you free up spaces for those biting their fingernails, some who might really want to attend one of those schools you will turn down. Put yourself in their place: say your first choice if you are accepted is A. There are some applicants waiting to hear from A even while they pretty well know now that they are not going to chose A, but B. If you knew someone was doing that just to see if they would be accepted, meanwhile perhaps blocking you from an acceptance, you would not think kindly of them, to put it mildly.

How will you decide after all the results are in? Go back and visit all of them? Pick the most "prestigious?" Choose those closest to home, or even farthest from home?
Compare expected costs and expected financial aid? Throw darts blindfolded at a board with all the schools you are accepted at on the board? What criteria have you already set up to make comparisons?

Eventually, by late Spring-early summer AMCAS starts notifying all medical schools, where you are holding acceptances, of that fact; some will begin sending you letters to make up your mind or you will dropped. They mean it; they want to sew up the class as early as they can.

It is to your advantage as well. You want to arrange housing, loans, whatever as early as you can, not at the last minute before classes start.

Purge your list of schools you are waiting to hear from but are very unlikely to go to. You will relieve some of your own anxiety and be helping others at the same time.

gower,

Thank you for the advice. I feel like we have already covered this topic in a previous thread.

But if it matters, I have already sent out a stack of letters withdrawing my application for all the schools that I know I will not attend. So, yes, I do have my fellow applicants in mind during this torturous process.

But the acceptance I hold now along with the last interviews I have had are really really hard to choose from. I really would like to know if I get into Harvard or Duke or Vanderbilt. I truly liked these programs that I am waiting to hear from. Since I will most likely not be getting into all of them I am interested in seeing what my choices are.

If Hopkins was my obvious first choice, OF COURSE I would have withrawn from the rest of these schools.

Gower, I appreciate your concern for other applicants, but didn't I pay hundreds of dollars in application fees so that I would end up with a decision on my file??????

I am not waiting to hear from Cornell just to turn them down. No. I am waiting to hear from these last schools because I see a lot of compatibility between myself and the programs.

So please, (and I don't mean to sound annoyed) please let me have the opportunity to choose where I want to be for the next four years of my life.

And as I said in a previous post on this very same topic that you so kindly brought up, PLEASE DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE US. I am not some greedy person who just wants to hord a bunch of acceptances.

In all honesty, I have to agree with jimi. While I am NOT holding multiple acceptances (I am still in the interview process), I can understand why he wants to have choices. If he were holding acceptances just because he wanted to be able to say that he got into a bunch of high ranked schools then I would say that is really unfair and inconsiderate, but he seems to really be considering all of his schools. If you read his posts, he is not gung-ho Hopkins right now, because of his experience there initially, so he wants to go and re-evaluate. So, why should he be forced to say yes to Hopkins and withdraw from others, when he is not sure that is where he wants to be. As you can see, he turned down at interview at Penn and Wash U which are #3 and #4, so obviously he does not have a self-fish desire to overinflate his ego by having acceptances from a lot of prestigious schools. The schools he is waiting to hear from (and I preface this by saying I wish you ALL the best Jimi) are extremely difficult to get in, so perhaps he will end up at Hopkins, but I think he should still be allowed the option to decide. Not to mention, I believe he has mentioned a girlfriend/fiance which he has to consider? If I get accepted to multiple schools in the next month and I honestly feel that I would be happy at many of them, then I would not in the least bit feel guilty (no matter what anyone says) for waiting until "call-back" weekend when I can judge the school and the students without being "full of nerves" as I was for my interview. After I have revisited (or beforehand, if I just have a gut instinct that I know will not change for certain schools), I will PROMPTLY withdraw. But jimi, I am curious, if you had to rank the schools what order are they in? Is there any school, you would honestly choose over Hopkins (besides Harvard maybe)?
smile.gif
Why did you write UCSF off? Will your fiance really play a large role in your decision (does she need to go to school in the area or does she want to work) or does she really want you to go wherever you want? Sorry for all of the questions.... But really, best wishes to you!! You actually seem like the type of person whom I would like to be in a PBL group.... I have seen some at interviews for whom I have reservations about that.

I was in now way suggesting that any of you are not free to make your choices. Indeed, you are free to do anything you wish.
I have heard the argument before about having spent good money on the whole process, and I certainly will not dispute the truth of that. The ethical question in my mind: is that sufficent reason ALONE to possibly block, or delay, someone else's shot at the spot? I think my answer is clear. We each have to decide where we stand when there are conflicting arguments for one side or the other. Whose ox is being gored often tips the balance one way or the other. I ask you, meaning any of you, not Jimi specifically, on which side of the ethical question you would come down if you were the one waiting anxiously for a spot to be available? Will you be so understanding and accepting of the argument "I paid good money and I am entitled to wait to see what it bought EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY KNOW I AM GOING TO DISCARD IT?" The "EVEN THOUGH" is the operational clause.
I also wrote that, when interviewing, students should be gathering information to use when making decisions sooner rather than later.
There is a very old fable about a dog in a manger. The dog could not eat the straw but refused to let those, the cattle who could, have access.
To each his/her own.
"Follow the three Rs: respect for self, respect for others, responsibility for all your actions." [the Dalai Lama on the occasion of the new millenium]

Jimi --

Congrats on your acceptances and the dilemma you've put yourself in. I respect your line of reasoning, and it seems like you are withdrawing your applications as soon as you eliminate schools from contention. On another one of your posts ("The Perfect Med School"), you list the unique aspects of various programs that you really like. You didn't list Duke as having anything that really appealed to you, yet you are still "considering" them. What is your reasoning there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Crafty, you brought up a very good point...as I was reading my other post I realized it was not complete. I did not intend for the list to be comprehensive of what I liked about each program. They were just highlights.

In fact, the reason Duke is on my list is because of their innovative program. I had a really great time doing research as an undergrad and the idea that I could have time freed up during med school to conduct my own study seems like a great idea.(I'm also very much into community outreach so a community service project during the third year at Duke is also a very attractive idea for me!!)

As to the other questions posted here, I can try to respond:

Gower, I totally understand what you are saying and I do agree that money is not a convincing reason to keep my files active.

As for your other point about gathering information during the interview, yes that is true as well. However, you have to realize, when I was interviewing for these programs I really didn't think I would get in. After my interview at Hopkins, in fact, I was almost positive I did not have a chance. So, and this is my mistake, I did not evaluate the school and the environment truly as a prospective student.

Harvard, for example! I mean how many people actually get in! So when I was at these prestigious schools I unfortunately (and I can only say this in retrospect) did not really, truly imagine myself at them. I just thought I will get into one school and that'll be it. That is why this is such a process for me.

(just to clarify I am actually female, the user name has a long story behind it!)

Also, my significant other (not a fiance yet)
smile.gif
will be applying to graduate schools once we are settled in next year. So that is a concern as well. I have obviously withdrawn from schools that I'm not considering and that do not have opportunities for grad. schools for him.

Also, Christiangirl, you are right, rankings are not my only criteria. That is why the other seven schools are still real possibilities for me over Hopkins. One of the factors involved are the schools' proximity to either my family or my boyfriend's family (we are both very close to them).

Anyway, I just hope you guys realize that I went through a very hard process of sending out all those letters withdrawing my apps from schools that I will not attend. Some of them, even though they were borderline, I still withdrew from just because I know what it's like to wait.

Gower, I know that at this moment there are people who hold acceptances that I would very much like to hold. But I don't hold that against them. They have worked hard for it and I trust that they will keep it only for as long as necessary.

I really think most people who want to go into medicine started "helping others" a long time ago. So I don't think your remark about starting to help others before med school is accurate. They deserve a lot more credit than that.

[This message has been edited by jimi (edited 01-25-2001).]

jimi -

Congrats on your acceptances -- you have every right to wait until you have FULL INFORMATION to make your decision. You are fully within your rights to do this, especially given that it is only January! If it were June or July, it would be another thing, but it is still early so just sit tight.

In the mean time, a word of advice on choosing your med school ... I am an MS4 and have just finished interviewing for residency and I noticed that students from the top 10-15 med schools were all sort of lumped together as "from good med schools," (especially students with great boards and AOA).

So my point is, as long as you do well at a good school, you'll be fine as far as residency goes. So choose the school you felt most comfortable with ... the school that you intuitively felt "fit you" the best. Think about whether you are most interested in a more lecture based or more PBL based curriculum, think about the city you want to live in. Then just go with it and don't look back!

Good luck!

Hey jimi (and others who have interviewed at Duke) -

You referred to a packet of info that you gave to a friend...what was in this packet? I had a regional interview a few weeks ago, and my interviewer didn't have any info (in fact he said that he didn't really know what was going on there since he graduated 20 years ago!) I am a bit embarrassed to call the admissions office and ask for info at this point. Was there anything interesting in the info they gave you?

Thanks!
PS. jimi- my story is amazingly similar to yours (stats, extracurrics, top choices, etc...) Do you mind me asking what your top choice is? Just curious!

[This message has been edited by scully (edited 02-19-2001).]

Dear Scully (love the name by the way...I just became an X-Files fan last week, I can't believe how much I've missed out on...)

Anyway, the packet was a nice shiny well organized folder that had the basic info on Duke: stats, financial aid, I think some stuff on their facilities, etc. I didn't really read it carefully since by that point I was sick of interviewing and just wanted to get home. I know, not a wise choice.

I really don't think you should be embarrassed to ask for more info from the school. In fact, I think it would show them that you really are interested in their program and in these final weeks of decision making that could be a big plus over other applicants. Anyway, you have a very legitimate reason since you didn't know such a packet was even available.

About your other question regarding my first choice. I have narrowed it down to Hopkins and the six schools I'm waiting to hear from: UCLA, UCSF (both not looking too good since it's getting late), Duke, yale, Harvard, and Cornell. I honestly don't think I'll get into most of these schools but just in case I have been working on a ranking system that takes my top 4 or 5 criteria into account. Everyday I look at it (I love making charts, sort of neurotic of me, but oh well) and I keep changing my mind and my ranks of the the schools changes drastically each day.

So my final conclusion is that I could be happy pretty much anywhere. I really think I can adapt to whatever each program offers me. So now, it's just a matter of waiting to see what my actual choices will be. But i'm really not too stressed about it since I really think since Med school has been my goal for so long, I could be happy pretty much at any of these seven schools.

Hi jimi!

Did you apply to columbia by any chance? I know it's none of my business, but... did you hear any good news from them?

Scully --

I interviewed out at Duke in the fall, and the only "packet" I received during my visit was the "Why Duke?" booklet. It's a really good summary of the highlights of their program, along with info on Durham, financial aid, etc. I had actually requested info from Duke the year before I applied, and they sent me the exact same booklet that I got at my interview. I would definitely recommend requesting a copy because its full of information that your interviewer may not have been able to give you.

I guess Duke's acceptances go out next week. Let us know when any of you get the long-awaited letter.

Actually Duke is still definitely interviewing through at least the first week of March. So, I doubt acceptances will go out before the 15th - I think they are going to still do the one-date thing, but I could be wrong. They are unfortunately behind schedule this year.

Originally posted by bf:
Hi jimi!

Did you apply to columbia by any chance? I know it's none of my business, but... did you hear any good news from them?

Actually I did not apply to Columbia. I only applied to AMCAS schools (had to draw the line somewhere!)
smile.gif

jimi-

You have an amazing list of possibilities--congratulations! I think you are right in saying that you could be happy at any of those excellent schools (I would too!!)

Thanks for the info on the Duke packet (to you too, Crafty), I think I will call and see if they will send it to me. My interview was so late though, I don't know if I have much of a chance. Hopefully my old interviewer will get the form in on time!

Crafty, Christiangirl, et al.

I just called Duke's admissions office to ask about their timing, since my regional interviewer told me that they seemed to be "very behind schedule" this year.

The woman I spoke with told me that they will send out a big clump of letters at the end of February, and then another round sometime in March.

Good luck all!