Duke decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crafty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you waiting to hear from Duke, here's an update. I received my letter today (postmarked March 15th), and I have been placed on the alternate list. So at least there's still a chance I might get in.
Does anyone have any specific info on how promising/hopeless the Duke alternate list is?

Members don't see this ad.

Also waitlisted. August MCAT here I come!
frown.gif
You gotta love the letter that they send.

I don't know, but Duke played a good game against Mizzou today!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks caffeinegirl.... I have to admit, I have lost all hope at this time. At least this way, no more damage can come to my self-esteem. I held hope for too long. Now it is time to just start studying for the MCAT. Still good luck to you and let me know whether you choose UCSF or Duke as the final winner!!
smile.gif

ChristianGirl and Crafty:

Aieeee, how sad and frustrating. Out of one limbo and into another. I hope you both get off the alternate list soon.

Thanks omores. How did Duke work out with you? I can't delude myself any longer... I have to get in the mindset that the alternate list is synonymous with rejection at this point. I intend to write my letter of interest tonight and possibly make a biweekly call to check on my status, but after that, I'm devoting all of my energies to the MCAT. You all may not hear from me for a while, so best of luck to all of you. I'll check back around May 15th to see where you all end up. I honestly am happy for all of you, but I am very disappointed that all of my hard work is panning out to nothing.... For those of you applying again next year or on alternate lists, good luck. It was nice...
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Christiangirl (edited 03-17-2001).]

Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I'm still holding out hope that I might make it off the alternate list. I liked Duke's program that much (plus, I'd get to see the defending national champions play next year ;-)

Christiangirl -- are you going to reapply next year because your weren't admitted anywhere this year, or are you doing it because you really want to go to one of your top choices? Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

I got a manilla. And although I'm really delighted, I was also hoping to log onto to SDN tonight and hope to hear the same from you two.

This is one of my least favorite things about this process. You're surrounded by people who are going through the exact same thing you are (in this case, waiting on Duke), and then it changes with a letter. I don't like the feeling of separation it creates.

Christiangirl and Crafty,

I was just thinking about this and it just sounds like Duke is obviously a very competitive program to get into. So statistically speaking many of the students they accept also get accepted at other prestigious schools. So...here's my point:

Since Duke's curriculum is SOOOOOO unique it might drive away a number of the accepted students. I mean thinking about all the sciences in one year may not seem too pleasant for many people. Or a year of research may sound like too much for others. So, chances are a large number of these students will opt to go for the more traditional programs. Who knows they may even be deciding on location and Durham isn't always everyone's first choice.

So in conclusion, I believe that of all the top schools, Duke would have some of the largest movements off the waitlist come May 15th.

Of course I have no real true published data to support this, but it just seems very likely. So I would still keep that little spark of hope if I were you. Just think, the waitlist means they think you are qualified, there just wasn't enough room just yet. So you're in an admirable spot. A ton better than a flat out rejection.

[This message has been edited by bigdirt (edited 03-18-2001).]

Christiangirl,

Have you gotten accepted to another school??? If so congrats! You should take advantage of such an opportunity!

Hi bigdirt.... I have one acceptance thus far at a school where I GOT REALLY bad vibes - from several students and my interviewer kind of wasn't that supportive of the school. I am now in a conundrum, because if I don't take the acceptance, I fear next year no one will take me. The retaking of the MCAT question that I have asked was my not really thinking of the consequences of my actions. Basically, the main reason I am having difficulty is because of my MCAT scores. I know everyone will say that I am being a big baby, because some people would love to go anywhere, but for a person who went to an undergrad school and tremendously hated it, I know the impact it can have on ones grades. I guess I will just have to keep trying to brainwash myself into thinking I would be happy at the other school. I just really LOVED Duke!! But I'm sure a lot of people would prefer to go somewhere other than where they have been accepted. That's the end of this game for everyone. I actually went there thinking I would hate it and I SO loved it!! I just felt like I belonged there. Too bad the adcom felt otherwise!!
smile.gif
However, I guess I have no option, but to suck it up and take what I can get. It just really is sad that everyone (2 deans of meds schools) told me my app is fantastic, but my MCATs are a large hinderance. I am considering taking the MCAT again, largely because my performance was poor due to an anxiety attack - I scored way below my diags. I would get either beta blockers this time or just really spend time relaxing before the test. (For all comment about my being able to deal with anxiety and being a doctor, trust me it has never happened before and the fact that I took sleeping pills the night before so that I could sleep (bad idea!!) and then didn't eat due to nerves didn't help, I believe). If I had been led to believe that I never had a chance at Duke, then this would be not be so bad. But, I thought I did... Anyway, this is really depressing me. I just wanted to say congrats omores!! Is this your top-choice? Thanks for the well-wishing bigdirt. As for you Crafty, I do wish you the best in getting off the list. What are your plans? Have you another choice? Hey, I just read that Duke took about ~20 off (between June and August) in the past two years. I wish myself the best and I have not given up, but I just have this thing where I cannot sit back; I must have some degree of control. Interestingly enough, one of the first years I met had been taken off the waitlist and I am going to talk with her soon to strategize.
smile.gif
I hope I get I get off as well, but I had hope for an acceptance from Duke and it didn't pan out, so I am just deflated at this point. My other thing is I am not quite sure that everyone who isn't offered an acceptance isn't offered a position on the waitlist. If everyone is and it is ranked, then that lowers my hope to an all time low. I'm sorry - I really have tried to remain positive through this thing, but one can only take so much.
smile.gif
Maybe the fact that my Duke interviewer suggested I apply to PA school next year should have been a warning.

Hey bigdirt, where are you headed?
smile.gif

Crafty, where else have you been accepted? Maybe we will both get off the list and laugh if we are classmates next year!!
smile.gif
My friend had said last year she harrassed the admissions office, but in the letter it said not to call, any thoughts? You know what, having a pity party is going to get me nowwhere!! My friend just got off the waitlist at Michigan - after being on it for a couple of months. Last year, I was not immediately offered a seat for the fellowship program and I still got in after constantly demonstrating interest, so why give up now!! That's not the future surgeon mentality!! Cobragirl got off the list just when she thought it was not possible and I believe bigdirt could have a point in that people may not want the non-trad currriculum!! Duke will not get rid of me until they say, "Come!!" I will wear them out!! You will too Crafty!! Let's do this!! It ain't over 'til August 7th (or whenever classes begin!!)
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Christiangirl (edited 03-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Christiangirl (edited 03-18-2001).]

Thanks to everyone for your input and encouraging words. bigdirt, you make a very good point about the uniqueness of Duke and the possibility that many people may choose other offers. Thanks for reminding me of that and giving me a glimmer of hope.

Christiangirl -- you rock. I love the way you seemed to convince yourself throughout the last message that, despite your disappointment, you will continue to hold out hope and do everything in your power to get off the waitlist. I think that's the only way to go. And thanks for the info that ~20 were taken off that list in previous years -- now if only we could find out if we were in that "top 20"! It does seem odd that they can't give us an accurate picture of where we stand. I don't know how long the list is -- is it only about 100 people long, or does it include everyone who interviewed but wasn't accepted? But I loved Duke as much as you did, so I'm willing to take on more agonizing months of waiting. I'm sort of confused about the best course of action to take now. I have made it clear in emails that Duke is my top choice, but I haven't actually sent any new information (interest letter, update transcript, etc). I have asked several times if this would help, but I never got a straight answer. As for me personally, I'm a senior in college graduating in May. I took some time off last year to pursue other goals, and it is taking me five years to complete my degree. So I'm a little older than most applicants, but not much. I guess I am in somewhat of a more desirable situation than you because I have been accepted to two schools in my state that I really liked. So I feel like I really can't go wrong. I feel very fortunate to be where I am, and I'm confident that I'll end up where I'm meant to be. But I sure would love it if that place was Duke! Best of luck, and I really hope we meet next year in Durham.

Members don't see this ad :)
Christiangirl.

Ohhhhh. I just made the connection to your post on the TPR board. All those people telling you you should just suck it up and be grateful for what you've got. I'm acka, by the way. As you likely noticed, I didn't read your post too carefully (I was at work -- very distracting), but it's clear that you had SERIOUS doubts about the school that accepted you, and no matter how many platitudes people spout, that will not change. I do think that, as in an arranged marriage, you could probably eventually find something about that school to like, but it makes it so much harder now that you've fallen in love with Duke.

So I wish you and Crafty the best of luck in your campaign. I really hope you can convince them. You convinced me a long time ago. Knock 'em dead.

Thanks for your congratulations. I'm not sure if Duke is my first choice, since I haven't visited it yet (I was a regional interviewee). There are many things I've heard, though, that make me think it's the best fit for me. I'm hoping the Second Look Weekend (first look, in my case) will help.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Christiangirl:
Cobragirl got off the list just when she thought it was not possible and I believe bigdirt could have a point in that people may not want the non-trad currriculum!! Duke will not get rid of me until they say, "Come!!" I will wear them out!! You will too Crafty!! Let's do this!! It ain't over 'til August 7th (or whenever classes begin!!)
smile.gif

Christiangirl, when does the school you were accepted to begin? Duke's orientation begins on August 8th.

The school has a prematriculation program that would begin in the middle of June. So now you see my problem.... Given that the movement does not start until June, I would probably end up having to matriculate before I even have a chance of getting off of the waitlist.
frown.gif
Hey omores or bigdirt, are you "acka" on the other board? I really still have to think about this.... I have come to the conclusion that ultimately I have to be at peace with my decision. Given the stress of trying to make myself happy at any med school, it really doesn't seem wise to go somewhere and be unhappy, especially if the students are unhappy. It could really wreak havoc on my grades. But I don't know if med schools really will "interview me just to mock me" as a person on the other site said or immediately throw away my application, if I turn down the offer. Oh well.... Guess I will just have to see what God says, because man does not know everything.
smile.gif
Thanks for admiring my "change in emotion" Crafty. If you really knew my whole story, you would see this whole med school application process has been one long nightmare.... I just have to keep going until I wake up and it is all over.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Christiangirl (edited 03-19-2001).]

Hey Crafty!! We are getting off of this waitlist together!! I will stop at nothing (well that is moral anyway
smile.gif
) to ensure that!!

Here is the info from the TPR forum:
In 1999: 1240 interviewed. 259 acceptances to fill 100 spots. Offers in June - 24 Offers in July - 7 Offers in Aug/Sept - 1
In 2000: 1149 interviewed. 253 acceptances to fill 100 spots Offers in June - 10 Offers in July - 3 Offers in August - 1

Let's just hope that this is another 1999 year!!
smile.gif
By the way, I e-mailed the Admissions Office and she said that we are ranked, but she couldn't tell me the rank number. She also said that movement does not usually begin until after May 15th. Which is better than I thought.... I thought it wasn't until June, but if you see above, it may be June. I wish I knew by how many the oversubscribe in the initial batch. Hey "gower" do you know? If anyone else knows anything else that is a "definite" way of getting off this list or the list at any schoool - PLEASE tell!!
smile.gif

Hey Christiangirl,

Surf the TPR Duke threads for some very detailed info on Duke's admission strategy. I can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, but they invite something like 253 students for a class of 100. Typicallly, 10 come off the waitlist in June, somewhat fewer in July, and only 1 in August.

I, like you, are on the waitlist at Dookie (maybe it was that crack I made during my interview about my undergrad school beating them in roundball last year). Being that we don't know where we lie on their ranked waitlist, this info is of little encouragement. But hey, knowing wouldn't help us any. It would only satiate our painful desire to KNOW. But then our obsessions would turn elsewhere and we would be back where we started.

Only time will tell.

Just one more thing. Does anyone realize that we started this process over a year ago?! How depressing.

Remus

------------------
"Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow." --Oscar Wilde

Yeah Remus. You can see my previous post for the info. I called the school and they told me that nothing I can do at this point can change my position. So, while that may seem bad, I guess I can pretty much harass them all of the time and that won't screw my application either.
smile.gif
Yes, the fact that I waited five months to hear that I have to wait another five months is extremely depressing. But hey, MJ, was not the #1 pick and I look where he is now!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Christiangirl:
Yeah Remus. You can see my previous post for the info. I called the school and they told me that nothing I can do at this point can change my position. So, while that may seem bad, I guess I can pretty much harass them all of the time and that won't screw my application either.
smile.gif
Yes, the fact that I waited five months to hear that I have to wait another five months is extremely depressing. But hey, MJ, was not the #1 pick and I look where he is now!!

Waitlist at Mayo as well. No hope left.
frown.gif

Christiangirl,

While you haven't given us the explicit list of schools at which you've interviewed, I can guess that many have been top-notch. Waitlisted at Mayo, eh? Do you realize that to get an interview there as an out-of-stater, you have to be in the top ~8-9 percent? That is no easy task! You've interviewed at Duke, and I can only guess what others. I know you've had to deal with the frustration of waitlists (like a lot of us), but is this the time to relegate yourself to the "no hope" category? Especially before May 15? You have the stuff they like to get you to this point (as opposed to not even getting an interview, or rejected outright after it), and who knows what the post May 15 Era might bring. Don't count yourself out, unless you have sound reason to. You even refer to the summer offers of these schools on the TPR site! Do you really think at this point you have "no hope"?

Thanks Oceandust for the word of inspiration. All of the schools I interviewed with were top 25 according to rankings. The Mayo thing would be outstanding except that I had a fellowship there, so you would think that would help. Oceandust, I think you are sweet (and I mean that!!), but you have been accepted to several of the top schools, so it's hard to relate to you.
smile.gif
Well, unless you honestly don't like the ones you have been accepted to. I guess it isn't the best attitude, but I have gotten the bad news 3 days in a row and it is just getting to me now. I pass between moments of having the most hope and then moments of none, as you can see from my posts. Considering that I have a huge problem in that the one school I have been accepted to has a prematriculation program that begins in June and waitlist movement isn't usually until June, I have a complicated situation. I hope that it works out, but I have learned to maintain my sanity, it will better to be surprised that it does rather than disappointed if it doesn't.

Christiangirl,

I've been following your application process, and I'm sorry to hear about the waitlists. I do have a question for you. You mentioned that the school you were accepted to has a prematriculation program that starts in June. Do you have to attend the program? It's my understanding that most pre-matric. programs are voluntary. Is your acceptance contingent upon attending the program? If not, you might consider not attending the program. This would give you more time to hang out on the respective waitlists and still keep the option open of attending the school in Aug. or Sept. if things don't pan out with other options.

Good Luck to you!
VAD
smile.gif

No the prematriculation program is not mandatory, but I would really rather do it, if I am going to go that school. But yes, not going is an option.

Don't go, don't go!

Unfortunately kas, if I don't go and then don't get off the list, then I have a big problem. I wasted a whole summer of learning - which may be important to how I perform, since I have been out of school for two years now.

Are you sure if it is a whole summer of learning? Or is it a whole summer of "getting to know the area" and becoming "familiar with your surroundings and fellow classmates?" It sounds as if it may be a whole summer of orientation because I have heard some schools having this. In this case, skip it because well all know when everything is said and done, orientations are useless. And besides, a lot of students plan on doing crazy things their last free summer, like backpacking in Europe or joining a commune in Mexico. So, they cannot possible expect everyone to go, and as a result, most of the stuff you will learn will probably either be repeated or will not (because it is useless). You really have to do what you feel is right for you; missing a whole summer of learning (which I highly doubt) or missing a whole four years at the school you wish you attended. Good Luck.

Christiangirl, without knowing you at all, I would hate to see you lose faith this early. Don't forget whose really in control of everything--it sure isn't any admissions committee. You never know how all this will work out, but there's no doubt that you'll be where you're supposed to be come August, although we'll all pray that it's a great medical school. Besides, think of all the obstacles that you thought were insurmountable along the way, but that with help, you managed to overcome. It's frustrating I'm sure, but only if you think you're alone without someone to guide you along, and from your name, it sounds like you've got the best one of all.

Hi kas. No, it's a mini-preview of the classes to come. So, it is a brief intro to micro, biochem, cell, etc. I'm sure the getting to know your classmates thing occurs too...
smile.gif
No, they don't expect everyone to go, but if I don't and still have to go to the school, I would feel like I lost out. Hence another reason to reapply next year.
frown.gif
Yeah, I am trying to determine what is right for me... Reapplying and never getting in because of my not taking the acceptance or taking the one acceptance I have. Hard decision.
frown.gif
Thanks for the help.
smile.gif

Hey lilycat!! I'm there for you chica!! Glad to know I'm not the only person going neurotic these days...
smile.gif
I e-mailed you back just now!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by lilycat:
Christiangirl! My psychic application twin, I have finally found you! I tried to email you earlier, but I'm not sure if I had the right address (otherwise some random person is very amused at my ramblings right now
wink.gif
). Anyways, feel free to email me if you want to discuss this at greater length.

Last edited by a moderator:
Christiangirl:

Yes, I am acka, or rather lilycat is, since in her Conspiracy Theory post, she has claimed that I am she. Identities within identities; what a mess!

Hey faustus!! I had missed this post!! Thanks for the words of inspiration... I have to admit, as horrible as it, I am questionning my faith. It is a bad thing and I need to stop!!
frown.gif
It just is too much!! This whole application process has been turbulent from get-go, if only you knew the full story...
frown.gif
Sometimes, I really just want to get an MBA and call it quits. I know that God is in control... I just don't know whether this is something I have to go through for a testimony, because I will get to go where I want in the end, or whether I just have to accept that he wants me to go where I don't.... I haven't quite figured that one out.
frown.gif
The problem is thus compounded by the notion, am I really going to be where I should be in August or is it his desire that it will it be next August?
I do think of all of the obstacles I've faced this year... and I did it thinking I would reap rewards, which have not come.
frown.gif
I honestly know that for some getting into 1 school is a dream, but.... Like I said, I know what it is like to spend four years unhappy and to do it again.... I mean stress is one thing, but added to unhappiness...
frown.gif
And yes, I should really think about what my name and what it means....
smile.gif
I know that he is guiding me... I just need to be patient and figure out where....
smile.gif
Thanks again faustus!! So, my angel, where are you headed?
smile.gif

p.s. Thanks to all of the other angels who have posted in the past few days... I appreciate you all!!

p.p.s. By the way, Faustus, I just found out this weekend that a good friend of mine got rejected post-interview at Cornell. A while ago, you had asked if anyone fit this scenario....

[This message has been edited by Christiangirl (edited 03-19-2001).]

Has anyone who interviewed at Duke 3/2 or later received their status?

--&gt; OD

One day off.... I was 3/1 and found out that I was waitlisted on Friday. You may want to call the admissions committee.... They will at least tell you if a decision has been made. Good luck!!
smile.gif

Oceandust: are you still waiting? Eeeesh. Duke did mention that the last(?) batch goes out at the end of this month. Judging by a few other posts, it sounds as if Duke's schedule might have less to do with when you interviewed than with when your interviewers submitted their reports. There seems to be quite a range of response times.

[This message has been edited by omores (edited 03-19-2001).]

Indeed, haven't heard a thing. The interviews were on campus and decent, but I can't say how it'll translate in terms of my interviewers' promptness in submitting their response or on what they said.

I called the office last Friday, asking explicitly, "has a decision on my application been made yet?" To which the secretary replied, "we don't give application status over the phone."

Then I hung up.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by omores:
Christiangirl:

Yes, I am acka, or rather lilycat is, since in her Conspiracy Theory post, she has claimed that I am she. Identities within identities; what a mess!

omores, I hope you realiz

Hey you all!! I want to THANK all of you (Faustus - you rock and I took all you said to heart, it was INCREDIBLE and I thank God for speaking through you), omores (for your being sympathetic even though you should have rejoicing and I am SO happy for you!!), bigdirt (for you spending the time to think the situation through when you are not in the situation), lilycat (for letting me know I am not alone - I will respond to your email sometime today), kas and VAD (for the great advice - I think I will take it
smile.gif
), and caffeinegirl (for your continued hope and inspiring words in my saga), Oceandust (thanks for the words - I apologize for saying that you couldn't relate. Even if you can't, the fact that you tried is awesome. I appreciate it!!). And Crafty and Remus never lose hope buddies!!! I admire your optimism and I going to join you !! The words of all of you combined with others from my "adopted" Christian parents really made me see the light!! I now truly believe "If you are going to worry, why pray?" I think a bit more of the big picture has been revealed and I honestly think this is where God wants me to be. I may not understand tommorrow or next week, but eventually it will be revealed. I will now share the optimism and hope you all have helped me to see. You all are great and one thing I know is that your compassion is going to make you all fantastic doctors wherever you go!! Thank you all!! Please know that your words made a world of difference!!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Christiangirl (edited March 21, 2001).]

Just testing.

The most recent posts on this thread appear to have vanished, so I'm seeing what happens to theis one.