duke: does this make sense?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotmilk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
according to USNews admissions statistics for Duke from last year, it says that out of the 184 admitted students, 102 were minorities. Wow. Only 19 of them matriculated. Doing some math, even if all 77 accepted "non-minorities" matriculated, that doesn't equal the entire first-year class at Duke (77+19 not equal to 102).

My point is, are these numbers right? What races/cultures are included in tis "minority" group? I looked at other schools, and it seems that 40-60% of those accepted are "minorities."

Members don't see this ad.

gotmilk said:
according to USNews admissions statistics for Duke from last year, it says that out of the 184 admitted students, 102 were minorities. Wow. Only 19 of them matriculated. Doing some math, even if all 77 accepted "non-minorities" matriculated, that doesn't equal the entire first-year class at Duke (77+19 not equal to 102).

My point is, are these numbers right? What races/cultures are included in tis "minority" group? I looked at other schools, and it seems that 40-60% of those accepted are "minorities."

Yeah, you're right, that is totally bizarre. I have no idea, except that someone made a typo?

The disparity is probably dervied from that admitted does not equal enrolled.

So x people are admitted of which n% enroll.

Therefore, :thumbdown:(x) = actual enrolled class

Members don't see this ad :)
nimotsu said:
The disparity is probably dervied from that admitted does not equal enrolled.

So x people are admitted of which n% enroll.

Therefore, :thumbdown:(x) = actual enrolled class

right, but out of those accepted, 40-60% are "minorities," as sated by USNews. which means that the acceptance rate is about half of what it really appears to be in the MSAR and USNews.

I think minorities refers to all minorities, not just URM. But still the number is rather large and the disparity b/w accepted and enrolled is very large.

Asians are minorities?????

i believe minorities include all URMs-plus; US News is probably counting ALL minorities. Asians, African-Americans, Latinos, etc. (Sorry if I overlooked someone. Non-intentional.)

if so...i would say that those number were probably close.

gotmilk said:
Asians are minorities?????
Yes, just not Underrepresented. In the USA, only ~3% are Asians, but they're 20%+ the med school population.

40% of Northwestern class is Asian.
Just thought I'd throw it out there.
I thought it was really high.

Yeah, when I interviewed at Duke they mentioned that somewhere around 50% of something (incoming class? admitted?) were minorities. A quick look around at the students confirmed that, yep, a lot of those are Asian.