Duke MBS Application Thread for 2016-2017 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PureGRIT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, can you describe a typical schedule/day in the program? Do you feel that the program will give you an advantage to get into medical schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current MBS student willing to answer questions you guys have!
Hi PureGRIT!
I appreciate your willingness to answer questions about the new MBS program at Duke. I applied to PA school for this upcoming round (including Duke) and am exploring backup plan options in case I do not receive an acceptance this round. The MBS seems to be the perfect option and I decided to apply when it open November 17th. I was wondering if you could offer any insight on your experiences so far. Does your class consist of a lot of students who are trying to get into MD/PA school in the future? Are there some students who want to pursue a job in the biomedical field? The reason I ask is that I hope the degree could prepare me for PA school, but also serve as a career if I decide against PA school in the future. Also, do you have time to work while in this program? Thanks for your help in advance!

Does your class consist of a lot of students who are trying to get into MD/PA school in the future?
Yes. No pre-PA in this year's cohort; however, we have a faculty member that is a PA and the program really emphasizes personal growth for success in any field.

Are there some students who want to pursue a job in the biomedical field?
Most definitely. The program is full of networking opportunities and the elective options that is tailored to an individual's personal interest. For example, we have the clinical research mentorship option, business industry practicum option, research options among many others.

Do you have time to work while in this program?
I haven't found time, but we have a classmate that is a part time nurse and some others who are doing research in a lab.

Thanks so much! I was also wondering about the application process as there is not much information about the actual application on the website and I would like to go ahead and get the required materials prepared. For recommendation letters is it they type of thing where you enter an email on the application and they send them a link to fill out an evaluation? Also, is there a personal statement/essay required? Those always take me forever so I would love to get a jump start on that if there is one. Once again, I appreciate your time!

To be honest, the application has changed quite a bit since we applied so I would contact Christie McCray and ask her. As for the letters I believe that your professor will have to fill stuff out through the application portal.

To be honest, the application has changed quite a bit since we applied so I would contact Christie McCray and ask her. As for the letters I believe that your professor will have to fill stuff out through the application portal.
Thanks!!

Things have changed a lot since our transition into cell sciences:

For those of you that are wondering what "Cell Sciences" is:

Every week we have 5- 12 (average 8) lectures that are online to go through.

Weeks:
1 Molecular Bio
2 Biochem
3 Molecular Bio
4 Molecular Bio
5 Pharmaco
6 Biochem
7 Biochem
8 Genetics
9 Developmental Bio
10 Histo
11 Immuno
12 Immuno
13 Histo
14 Molecular Bio
14 Genetics

Quiz (IRA) every week
Exam every 3 weeks
Do you mind messaging me about the program?

Has anyone received a decision yet? I submitted my application in late December and received confirmation early January. Still waiting to hear back

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for those in the program...how many people applied to med school during the program? How many acceptances and where? Any interviews/acceptances to duke med?

Anyone accepted as an early applicant into this program for 2016-17? I received an email yesterday saying I was deferred for the regular application cycle, with acceptances rolling starting on April 1.

Hi Curious90,

Hope all is well. I recently received acceptance to Duke MBS for the class of 2017 via email yesterday. If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know and I do hope you become accepted in the regular admissions review! Have a great day.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats VisVi76!!! Are you willing to share your stats or background? No worries, if you don't want to.

Also accepted yesterday and willing to share what I know about this year's program so far

Congrats njohn16 on your acceptance as well! Looking forward to meeting you if you do indeed matriculate. And, Curious90 - sure I will provide some background information: I graduated from the Macaulay Honors (CUNY) program with a Neuroscience and Psychology major in 2015. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but plan to sometime this year. As for the stats, I had ~3.8 cumulative/3.9 Neuroscience major GPA, had 3 publications in behavioral neuroscience, conducted research at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and have also studied abroad in both Italy (Art/Architecture) and Panama (public health). If you have any further questions, please let me know! Always glad to help in whatever way feasible.

Congrats also to you, njohn16!!! Would love to hear what you know about the program so far. Thank you!

Congrats njohn16 on your acceptance as well! Looking forward to meeting you if you do indeed matriculate. And, Curious90 - sure I will provide some background information: I graduated from the Macaulay Honors (CUNY) program with a Neuroscience and Psychology major in 2015. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but plan to sometime this year. As for the stats, I had ~3.8 cumulative/3.9 Neuroscience major GPA, had 3 publications in behavioral neuroscience, conducted research at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and have also studied abroad in both Italy (Art/Architecture) and Panama (public health). If you have any further questions, please let me know! Always glad to help in whatever way feasible.
Thank you for all the information! I really appreciate it. Your stats are very impressive, and I wish you lots of luck on the MCAT and in the program!

Hello!

I have applied for the DUKE MBS program for this cycle and was wondering if my GPA isn't that high do I have a chance at all of getting into this program?

I am a current MBS student willing to answer questions you guys have!

Hi PureGRIT!

Do you mind sharing the stats you had when applying for this program. My GPA is fairly low and I'm wondering if I even have a chance in getting in.

Thank You!

I just received my acceptance into the MBS program for the 2016-2017 program year on Tuesday. I still have not accepted the offer yet because I have some things I need to confirm first and questions I need to ask. I really hope it all works out and I am able to do the program. Does anyone (who is planning to do the program) know what they will be doing for housing and how they will afford living expenses?

Hi PureGRIT!

Do you mind sharing the stats you had when applying for this program. My GPA is fairly low and I'm wondering if I even have a chance in getting in.

Thank You!

I have a 3.5 GPA and I graduated from Michigan State University with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Health Studies (this is a social science degree but I am a premedical student). I am not sure what else you would like to know regarding the stats of those accepted but feel free to ask me and I will share :)

Hi PureGRIT!

Thank You!

I have a 3.5c/3.3s and I was accepted yesterday.

For all that have already gotten accepted, did you make the priority deadline?

If you want to apply this upcoming cycle, the faculty will advise against it; however, you can. There are a few people in the program that got into medschool/dental school this cycle, but in my opinion, they couldve gotten in without this program anyway. If you want the benefits of this program, expect a gap year (you have plenty of opportunities at Duke). If you have specific questions that you NEED answered by a student, you can post them on here. Too many people are PMing me the same questions and with the workload, it is hard to get to.

I was just accepted this past Tuesday and I am having trouble deciding if I will accept this offer or not. Here are some very important questions that I have and I hope you can help me out with answering them (thank you in advance):

1.) My primary concern is program cost (how do you afford it--scholarships, grants, loans)? and Housing: where do students typically live? How do they pay for it? Is it expensive?

2.) How well will this prepare me for my future in medicine: My ultimate goal is to go to medical school so I would like to know how well will this program prepare me for sciences needed on the MCAT/medical school?

3.) If I decide that I do not want to go to medical school after I graduate from this program, what are my chances/opportunities for employment after graduation?

4.) How is the Health Care they offer you? Do you have to pay for it?

Anyone accepted as an early applicant into this program for 2016-17? I received an email yesterday saying I was deferred for the regular application cycle, with acceptances rolling starting on April 1.

Hi curious90,

Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm seeing if I even have a chance on getting in to this program.

Hi Mmoore - my stats:
3.25 s and c
biology major
Ivy, varsity athlete
didn't have MCAT or GRE eto send
300+ hours clinical
research and one of multiple authors on 3 papers
excellent LOR

I applied early, and am still hopeful that I will get in. Good luck to everyone!

Hi Mmoore - my stats:
3.25 s and c
biology major
Ivy, varsity athlete
didn't have MCAT or GRE eto send
300+ hours clinical
research and one of multiple authors on 3 papers
excellent LOR

I applied early, and am still hopeful that I will get in. Good luck to everyone!

Thank you! Your stats are amazing I'm pretty sure you will get in :)

Just got the email saying "We are delighted to inform you that the Special Masters Program Admissions Committee at Georgetown University has recommended that you be accepted into our graduate program."

Not quite sure if that's an acceptance or not??

Does anyone know when they're going to start sending out emails for regular (not priority) applicants?

Has anyone gotten an acceptance yet?

Great, I just got rejected. I applied a few days before the deadline, so people should be getting answers now.

Has anyone else who applied regular admission heard back yet?

Nothing yet. I'm just going to assume they'll reply on the 15th which is their deadline. Tried calling up to check on the progress of the application (you can do that for universities here in the UK) but they said the administrative office was completely separate from anything to do with admissions. Just holding on til then.

Got a call this afternoon saying I was accepted into the program (applied regular admission). Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Last edited:
Congrats! I've been anxiously checking my email and application portal constantly, looking for some decision. I hope mine is following closely after yours!

Anyone hear anything? It's the 16th and I haven't received a yes, no or maybe.