Duke Med/Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mizphyswhiz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone - I'm interviewing at Duke for med/peds in a few weeks and am wondering if anyone has been there already. What did you think? Good? Bad? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone - I'm interviewing at Duke for med/peds in a few weeks and am wondering if anyone has been there already. What did you think? Good? Bad? Thoughts?

I went to Duke for med school and interviewed there for Med-Peds residency, too. My reason for not staying was my interest in seeing a new place. I really loved the residents there in the Med-Peds program. They were quickly becoming, if not already were, the physicians one should want to be. The program director and co-director are really great people and the training is excellent. I enjoyed North Carolina and the spirit at Duke. The people there are excited to be there and work hard to be excellent. At the same time, though, that sense of southern charm and kindness also seaps through the community. "Malignant" personalities are few and far between in both Medicine and Pediatrics. Most of all, though, they'll try to impress upon you their desire to be excellent while being kind throughout the interview day.

I've heard that Duke is a great program as well. Very dedicated to Resident education. They don't have a free-standing children's hospital, but I think they get ample amounts of patients to learn well.

My questions is, since Duke and UNC interviews are on the same day, if you have to pick between the two for MedPeds, which interview should you go to (i.e. I know both are great, but is one more research oriented vs community, size, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that Duke is a great program as well. Very dedicated to Resident education. They don't have a free-standing children's hospital, but I think they get ample amounts of patients to learn well.

My questions is, since Duke and UNC interviews are on the same day, if you have to pick between the two for MedPeds, which interview should you go to (i.e. I know both are great, but is one more research oriented vs community, size, etc.)?

Duke is more research oriented and UNC is more community oriented, but there are definite overlaps. The two programs have a lot of similarities but still manage to feel somehow different (even the residents seem like two different groups of people). Sorry I can't describe this better - I wasn't sure how to put it into words then, either. You might use a specific thing, like international opportunities or strength in a particular subspecialty of interest or involvement in a community program as a tool to prioritize one of the two.

any women want to share a hotel room for dec 8 and 9? PM me.

7BlueSkies,

I just took a peak at hotwire.com and they're advertising a 3.5 star hotel for $59 a night in Durham. There are four hotels that would fall into that class:

Hilton Durham
Millennium Hotel Durham
Sheraton Imperial Hotel Convention Center
Durham Marriott Convention Center

The first two I know for sure have shuttles to get you to the campus. You'd have to call the latter two to be sure, but hey, $59 isn't bad. I think the Millennium is $69 on Expedia, so most likely the Millennium is the one you'd get on hotwire. Anyways, buyer beware of course, but seems like a reasonable route. I know for sure that both the Hilton and the Millennium are nice places to stay.