Duke neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatormed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good academic neurology program in the southeast. I've heard some bad things about Duke. A lot of people are turned off by the fact that Neuro is a division of the Dept. of Medicine. Also, I was told that the residents are generally unhappy.
Anyone have any inside info?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I can't provide any info about Duke...didn't apply there. If possible, try to get some first hand info from current residents (you could try email). Just keep in mind that where there's smoke, there's usually fire. Good Luck!

I agree . . . the best thing to do is to check first hand with the residents. Keep in mind, though, that there are rumors that tend to take on a life of their own and may not have any truth to them. It is certainly true that Duke is known traditionally to be a very intense place to train. I interviewed at Duke (another program, not neuro) where I had heard that the residents were unhappy and that there would be no time for a life. I checked this out with someone who had finished that program a year earlier and this turned out to be completely false.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that this is a rumor that has completely taken on a life of its own. I interviewed at Duke Neuro even though I had been told by others that it was a malignant program. The interesting thing is that the 5 people who had told me about Duke's malignancy had never interviewed there themselves. They were just passing on info that they themselves had heard from others. One guy even told me that they don't let you meet the residents.

Well, I met the about 10 residents and some of the faculty. The residents do work hard, but I don't think they work any harder than the residents at Wash U, Emory, Baylor, Cleveland Clinic, etc. The program director was a pretty nice guy. Also the neuro boards passing rate at all the above programs is 100%. I was told that the national passing rate is around ~70%.

The best compliment I can think of is that I met two people who had done away rotations at Duke and both were ranking Duke #1. Another student whose opinion I regard highly also ranked Duke in her top 3.

About it being a department within medicine: I didn't really sense any difference with respect to the life of the residents. The big difference is at the top with resource allocation and with the faculty. The residents see patients, do their research, and graduate, just like at all the other programs.

I personally liked the program, but could never see myself living in Durham.

My advice to you is to go down and see programs for yourself. There were many rumors on the interview trail that I later found out to be untrue. Also remember that we all value different things in a program.

Good Luck.

•••quote:•••I personally liked the program, but could never see myself living in Durham.••••I've never been to Durham. Could you (or anybody else) explain why the city turns you off?

What didn't you like about Durham?

The biggest problem with Durham is that there isn't much to do there. When I visited the downtown area, I found it completely deserted -- it took me forever to just hail a cab and the few stores that were in business were not open for the weekend. If you go out a little further, it certainly is quite an idyllic place (a lot of forest area and rolling hills). Most of the action is in Chapel Hill, about a 20 minute drive away. Other than that, your options for entertainment/social life are quite limited. One thing I have to say, though, is that the undergrad campus (attached to the medical center) is one of the most beautiful campuses I have ever seen. I think Duke will be a wonderful place to train -- its corporate ties have enabled the facility to become state-of-the-art and allow training opportunities that are not found anywhere else in the country (i.e. allowing you to do away rotations during your residency in some programs, not to mention the fact the faculty and residents are first class. So, I suppose in the end it all depends on what you're looking for . . . are you willing to sacrifice your social life for some of the best training you'll probably get anywhere?

Like I said earlier, we all look for different things in a program. Personally, I'm more comfortably in a large urban area with lots of nightlife and pro sports teams. Having grown up, gone to undergrad, and gone to medical school in large cities, Durham just wasn't my kind of town.

Hey Gator....Have you considered Tulane's Neuro program? It's quite good, and of course New Orleans is awesome! Dr. Leon Weisberg is the Chair---known in Neuro circles as one of the top neurologists in the country. He's an interesting fellow to say the least(I am a 3rd year med. stud. at Tulane).

Additionally, Durham is a dead town. I lived in Chapel Hill for 1 year...one of the longest ever. I had some buddies in Durham and as a group, we were going nutz living there. Absolutely nothing to do. The people are nice, but when you consider the length of residency it just doesn't seem worth it. Raleigh is close by, but again, a dead town....boredomville. Chapel Hill is WAY overrated. I can imagine it being a fun spot for undergrad., but that's about it.

I lived in Gainesville Florida for 6 years of college and loved it. After medschool in Miami I'm dying to get back to a college town. I've had enough of the big city.

Gatormed, I did my undergrad in Chapel Hill and med school in Gainesville. Send me an email if you're interested in a candid comparison between the colleges towns surrounding UNC and UF.