Duke Scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coalboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Free Duke" is probably too much for me to hope for, but does anyone know when Duke makes their decisions about the merit scholarships they have available? I hope they haven't done so already.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard they send you a letter a week after revisit weekend if you get it. So hope for some mail from them in about a week and a half!

Thanks incendiary. Again, not like I think I'll get it, but I hope that I'm not hurting my chances by not coming to the second look weekend. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Duke has two main sets of scholarships: one set is reserved for URMs, one set is open for everyone. Last year, decisions for the general-elegibility merit scholarships were made right around now (not sure if they made the URM-only decisions at the same time or not...) The happy letters went out by overnight FedEx the Thursday after Second Look Weekend. I have no idea whether they're following the same schedule this year.

Good luck!

:) :wink: :cool: :wink: :)

Dr. Armstrong told me this afternoon that the earliest that merit scholarships will go out is April 15th.
A free or even 1/2 free Duke would be amazing! :D

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Hi Guys,

I just called the Admissions office, and Wendy went and checked and said that they'd all gone out, and that "everybody who got one should know by now." I'm not sure exactly what's going on, particularly with Dr. Armstrong's suggestions to the contrary, but this is not a positive development.

BOTS

bots,

i think you've been quite successful especially with that 1/2 penn scholarship. share the wealth my friend.. and congrats again.

I am very surprised to hear that. The reason I called Dr. Armstrong was that I have been offered a full merit scholarship to another top 5 school- but that school said I only had 2 weeks to accept or decline the offer. So I called Dr. Armstrong to see if I could find out when their merit scholarships go out (I know money from Duke is too much to hope for- but it is my top choice school). She was very angry that a school had presured me to withdraw from other schools before May 15th and said it was against AAMC regulations- she also said they would not be sending merit scholarships out until at least April 15th.

Well, I would think that Dr. Armstrong would be the authority on the matter. I hope so, anyway...

Hey, I just called, and they said that the merit scholarship recipients were fed ex'ed their notifications yesterday. I guess that means good news for a handful of people either today or tomorrow. Good luck!

Thanks for calling, Jo! So we're supposed to hear today or tomorrow, eh? I'm sure there'll be at least one SDNer who gets a full-ride, so please post as soon as you hear.

On a side note, I've never understood why admissions offices always seem to give totally contradictory information...

Perhaps Dr. Armstrong was talking about URM scholarships, and the other person was talking about the general-availability scholarships (or vice versa). Dr. G., if you don't mind me asking, are you a URM? These conflicting reports are very strange.

Called today. Some woman (a loud one, not the quiet one) said that both URM and the other scholarships were awarded, and recipients called.

So Dr. G, why do you think Dean Armstrong said what she said? :confused:

Anybody else notice a theme here? Duke often has rather divergent ideas about deadlines.

I stopped by the admissions office today, and they confirmed that notification has already gone out. I have a kind of vague memory from last year that Brenda Armstrong made a short list of sorts, but that the final decisions were made by one of the education deans. My only guess is that the latter part of the process happened more quickly than she thought.

But that's just my theory. From admissions to scholarships -- the whole process is rather mysterious.