Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Duke Second Look - Three Questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by RicaMD2Be, Apr 1, 2002.

1. RicaMD2Be

RicaMD2Be Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey!

1) Is anyone on this thread attending Duke's Second look weekend this Thurs-Sunday?

2) Also, how many people are thinking about attending the UNC second look as well? If so, how?

3) Does anyone have thoughts on how to choose between the two schools?

I appreciate this! You all are wonderful!!! :)

2. martymcfly

martymcfly P=MD
    7+ Year Member

Rica,
    Are you applying as a resident of NC? If so, and $$$ is an important factor, I would say that they are both great schools. If you can get past US News rankings go with UNC, especially if you want less research emphasis and want to breathe during your first year. If dinero is not a concern, then feel out which program would give you the most freedom to do your thang! mm :p

3. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wish I could go to the second look weekend, but I have a wedding to go to. As the best man, I don't think I could--or would want to--get out of it. :) I'm seriously torn between schools right now; I wish I could get the additional perspective that the second look weekend would give me. Let me know how it goes!

4. Dr.G

Dr.G Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Rica-
    I will be there this weekend but I can't fly in until Thursday night so I won't be attending the activities until Friday.

5. Dr.G

Dr.G Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Rica-
    I will be there this weekend but I can't fly in until Thursday night so I won't be attending the activities until Friday.

6. RicaMD2Be

RicaMD2Be Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Dr. G! I'll see you this weekend! Are you looking at UNC as well?

For everyone else, I'm a VA resident and I'm still not sure how to compare UNC and Duke (along with Georgetown). Furthermore, I would appreciate any suggestions on how to handle the confliting second-look schedules. I'm thinking that I'll just commit fully to the Duke weekend, but I don't want to miss out on any opportunities at UNC.

Please reply!
    xoxoxoxox

7. Logan

Logan Member
    7+ Year Member

I too am going to the second look weekend. Does anyone know the appropriate dress thursday? I was just planning on showing up in shorts, but that may be way to casual. I'm also trying to decide between UNC (in state) and Duke, and I'm going with Duke, but if anyone has any reasons why I shouldnt, I would appreciate them. I'm not going to UNC's second look weekend, and I'll be in and out of Dukes as I have a big test on Friday and one on Monday.

8. Dr.G

Dr.G Member
    7+ Year Member

Rica-sorry, I did not apply to UNC.
    Logan- I was also wondering what the appropriate attire is.

9. penelope

penelope Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys, don't worry about what to wear. We are pretty laid back. It might not be warm enough this weekend for shorts (though I guess that depends on your definition...is 70 warm enough for shorts?) Khakis are probably appropriate, and be sure to wear comfy shoes cuz as I remember from last year, we did a lot of walking.

It should be a fun weekend. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

penelope

10. j99

j99 Member
    7+ Year Member

I'll be there at UNC and Duke, trying to juggle both schedules as I try to decide between in-state Carolina and Duke. Unlike Logan, I think I am leaning toward UNC...gotta follow the money sometimes. Plus I want to do primary care anyway.

Schedulewise, I guess I will go to everything at duke on Friday, then do mostly unc on saturday.

11. Original

Original Ogori-Magongo Warrior
    7+ Year Member

I wish I could be at the 2nd look but I'm way out here in Africa. Have fun there and let us know how it goes.

12. waiting anxiously

waiting anxiously Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wish I could go this weekend, too, but I won't be able to make it. I'm deciding between Duke and UPenn (leaning towards Duke right now, despite that false acceptance scare), and I think revisiting Duke would have helped me make a choice. Any feedback that any of you have after the weekend would be much appreciated! Maybe I'll see you in the fall!