1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

duke secondary essay lengths

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Milhouse Van Houten, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Milhouse Van Houten

Milhouse Van Houten Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

only one of the essays (the ethical dilemma one) gives a word max (like 1000 or something, that's like three pages double spaced). what about the stem cell one? thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. grasshopper

grasshopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I figured I'd make sure to stay within the 1000 and write however much I could find to say. It ended up being about 6-700, I think. All I know is, that application is HARD. I wonder if they pay more attention to those essays than to the AMCAS ones because they figure it's closer to our own natural writing abilities and less like what you end up with after you ask 239 people for input on your personal statement.

4. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Anyone know if we should reference?

5. j99

j99 Member
    7+ Year Member

I saw somebody who said they wrote 3000+ words for the stem cell essay, but when I enter my essay, it caps it at 5000 characters (like the 1000 word essay). Is there some way that this person got around the character cap?

Also, all of the short answers are capped at 1500 characters--but for some of those questions (like q1), that is dang near impossible!

6. doctorperez

doctorperez Jesus was a dissident
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi, for essay number two I used 4753 characters, I was contacted by some of you regarding the lenght of my essay. Hope that helps.

Dr.Perez

7. Dr Krazy

Dr Krazy Member
    7+ Year Member

it would have been nice of duke to let us know about the characters caps. when i entered everything in, questions 1, 2, and 6 and both essays were too long > :( now i gotta go shorten them. q1, 2, and 6 are definitely 1500 characters and both essays are 5000. i'm not sure about q3 (strengths/weaknesses one) b/c my response was WAY longer than just 1500 characters.