duke secondary essay lengths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milhouse Van Houten

Reaction score
only one of the essays (the ethical dilemma one) gives a word max (like 1000 or something, that's like three pages double spaced). what about the stem cell one? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I figured I'd make sure to stay within the 1000 and write however much I could find to say. It ended up being about 6-700, I think. All I know is, that application is HARD. I wonder if they pay more attention to those essays than to the AMCAS ones because they figure it's closer to our own natural writing abilities and less like what you end up with after you ask 239 people for input on your personal statement.

Anyone know if we should reference?

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw somebody who said they wrote 3000+ words for the stem cell essay, but when I enter my essay, it caps it at 5000 characters (like the 1000 word essay). Is there some way that this person got around the character cap?

Also, all of the short answers are capped at 1500 characters--but for some of those questions (like q1), that is dang near impossible!

Hi, for essay number two I used 4753 characters, I was contacted by some of you regarding the lenght of my essay. Hope that helps.

Dr.Perez

it would have been nice of duke to let us know about the characters caps. when i entered everything in, questions 1, 2, and 6 and both essays were too long > :( now i gotta go shorten them. q1, 2, and 6 are definitely 1500 characters and both essays are 5000. i'm not sure about q3 (strengths/weaknesses one) b/c my response was WAY longer than just 1500 characters.