1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Duke Secondary = Pain In The ASS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by VirtuoJ, Aug 2, 2002.

1. I was excited when I got the Duke Secondary, but after reading over the short answers and essays, I really really hate those bastards.

Short Answers (1000 character limit)

Please provide us information on the most important community service/volunteer activities in which you have been involved. Please indicate your role, the length of time that you were involved, and the number of hours/week, if applicable, that you participated. How has participation in these activities impacted your preparation for a career in medicine?

Among the service activities that you listed on your AMCAS application, in which activity did you feel that you truly made an impact on someone else? What was the impact on you?

Each student brings strengths and weaknesses to the medical school class. How might your own experiences or lack of experiences, strengths and/or weaknesses, advantages and/or disadvantages contribute to the makeup of next year's class? How have these impacted your personal development and how have they contributed to your preparation for a career in medicine?

Please provide a list of your honors and awards. Indicate the one(s) of which you are the most proud and why.

Please provide a chronological list of your work experience while in college, or subsequent to your graduation, if applicable. Please indicate the length of your employment, number of hours worked/week, and your exact job title.

Have you participated in or conducted investigative research? If so, please describe below. If you have published or are listed as an author on a publication or a manuscript in press, please provide the title, authors, and name of journal.

Essays (5000 character limit)

Describe a difficult moral or ethical situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. What personal strengths, values, and beliefs helped you deal with this challenge?

The scientific and popular news media have heralded several "life-extending" and ?life-altering? technologies--among which are embryonic stem-cell research, cloning, genetic intervention, and organ transplantation. While such technologies represent remarkable developments and applications of our emerging scientific understanding, these technologies raise critical issues with respect to the ethics, morality and economics of these technologies. Identify some of the critical issues evoked by such technologies and address what potential moral, theological, and ethical questions might arise from the decisions made regarding developing and using these technologies in the care of patients.

And to top that, we only have 2 weeks to do this in!!! What the hell is wrong with them?

Anyways, I just needed to vent my frustration.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat
    7+ Year Member

I'm sorry, but what is the problem?

4. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

do you think we really need to turn it in within 2 weeks? i'm not going to. will i be at a disadvantage if i don't?

5. im going to try to turn in it in 2 weeks if possible. the second essay question will take me about a whole week to write... you can do a fricking thesis on it.

i don't think you HAVE to turn it in in 2 weeks, but if you want a early interview, then you should.

6. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

lola - I had 2 week deadlines on some other schools (didn't apply to Duke) and frankly, with Organic finals and MCAT August 17th I have point blank ignored those deadline ultimatums. I doubt Duke will be too strict, especially if you have MCAT coming up (which they can see from your application).

Good luck

7. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    fyi, there's another thread where people are commiserating over the dook secondary.

8. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

I've seen all those essays on other schools secondaries though, so if you are applying to a fair spread of schools it's likely you will have to write them eventually anyway - this way you write them all at once and have them done when the other schools request the same materials

9. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

...and if it's any comfort at least you get to apply to this school...they told me they wouldn't even consider my app so I didn't apply there....

10. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door

Attending Physician
    oh...ouch, boy wonder!! that hurts! see now, i keep telling you people that duke sucks, but do you listen to me? no. you go and apply there, and then they're mean to you. i'm only trying to help my sdn buddies...

11. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sweat Tea - will it hurt my chances of admission to Duke if I start referring to it as Dook? What if I call it Dook in my secondary essays?

12. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door

Attending Physician
    They're so snotty over there they can't make fun of themselves, and referring to them as Dook is a way to guarantee you won't get admitted.

It might, however, seriously increase your chances of getting accepted at UNC. :clap:

Dook or Duke, it's still just a 4-letter word in my book. ;)

13. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    no, it shouldn't. You should also mention that Dook must be able to get you an awesome residency even if you aren't that good a studeent. Make an analogy to their basketball team, jason williams and mike frikin dunleavy, along with christian laettner and danny ferry, were all top 3 picks even though they all suck.

Duke sucks. GO TAR HEELS!

14. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

"July 1-Nov. 1:
    Duke receives AMCAS applications; sends supplemental applications to qualified applicants "

from website...so apparently there is a small degree of screening going on at least.

15. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

is it cause you're foreign or what?
    i'm worried b/c my coursework was >7 years ago, and they require it to be <7 yars ago. it would be a shame to fill out the painful application and not even have it be considered!

16. jot

jot

hah note to self: don't say i'm applying to unc on the dook app, and viceversa. i think that is the only sure fire why to get yourself the boot from both :)

17. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door

Attending Physician
    ROTFL!!! :laugh: :laugh:

18. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

well, I am foreign, but thats not the reason (as I am a permanent resident anyway) - its the 7 year cut off. They told me to be considered I had to have taken 2 physics classes within 7 years. I told them that I *had* a degree in Physics, I had taken many, many upper division classes in Physics, just they were older than 7 years (8 years to be precise). They said that wasn't good enough and suggested I re-take Physics 101 or another upper division Physics course....I decided that was stupid, my time would be better spent doing *useful* classes I hadn't already taken (eg biochem) and I therefore had enough other schools on my list...so I crossed them off.

I might have done it had I really wanted to go to Duke but to be honest I'm not much for moving to North Carolina, I had just heard they had good financial aid - which was a major motivator in many of the places I chose to apply.

19. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

oh god... so they're really strict about the 7 year thing, huh?
    let's see, i took intro physics in 94-95. is that 7 years? not really. my intro chem was taken 93-94, but i have a degree in chemistry! plus i have a master's degree in epidemiology and have taken a few bio courses in recent years. 7 years seems like a sort of arbitrary cut-off. i'm already at a disadvantage for the mcat, why should i be at a disadvantage when applying to schools?

anyway, just wondering if i'm wasting my time applying. there are probably other schools i should have applied to instead, but i didn't see this requirement until after i turned in my amcas.

20. time quaker

time quaker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ah Duke. Got a rejection letter from them just a couple of days before their big loss to Indiana (my one acceptance at the time). Could life have been any sweeter?

21. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat
    7+ Year Member

Yes, you could have gotten in and then turned them down. That would have been sweeter. Or you could have gotten in and then gone there. That would have been sweeter too.

22. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wow finally done! Got to see this:

Duke University prohibits discrimination and harassment and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or preference, sex or age. We also make special efforts to recruit, employ, and promote qualified minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.

Wait... WHAT? How do you prohibit discrimination in one sentence and make special efforts to recruit, employ, and promote certain individuals? mmmmm k...

23. Ronny

Ronny Member
    7+ Year Member

It would take me about 1 day to complete that secondary. After I write it the person reading it would either love me or hate me though because I wouldn't hold back and the cloning is an issue I have very strong feelings against. For the most important volunteer work I would list somtihng like a jail outreach with my church and it's the most important because it's work for the Lord's kingdom in heaven and for him and it is infinatly more important than any health care volunteer work I did. I'de also write it didn't prepare me at all for med school but that the work that I did in health care, that was less important, did. On the essay about cloning that would take me a bit longer. I'de write about how life begins at conception and how stem cell research that results from abortion in any way is immoral an murder and must never be done. I'de also write a lengthy essay about cloning and how these clone and kill laboratories create precious human life just to destroy it in gruesome experiments...

Either the app screener would love me or he'de hate me. I doubt I'de get the interview after that though, but it would be completely honest.

24. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

one day for that duke secondary? they shouldgive u an interview just based on those mad skillz of efficiency alone.

25. kea

kea Junior Member

what the hell are you guys going to write for the second essay?? the moral dillemma one? i'm trying to think of something...anything. the only thing i thought of was that one time i found an old library book while i was cleaning out my room and i wasn't sure if I paid that thing off and i was debating if I should just return it or not... i really can't believe how ridiculously long the duke secondary is!!!! TWO 5,000 word essays...TWO weeks....go figure!

26. MacGyver

MacGyver Membership Revoked
    Removed

Yeah thats a complete and total oxymoronic statement. of course, duke is just like the other 100 or so med schools. But that statement right there is just pure dishonesty. Of course, if I lied on my application, they would kick me out immediately, but if they lie they are promoting the interests of diversity so its OK :rolleyes: