duke secondary questions/essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Krazy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
duke has LOTS of short answer questions and 2 essays :( the ones i find particularly hard and annoying to answer are:

Among the service activities that you listed on your AMCAS application, in which activity did you feel that you truly made an impact on someone else? What was the impact on you?

i have 2 volunteer experiences listed on my AMCAS, but both were mostly helping out w/ the nursing home and in the ER. i didnt do much that could really "help" people, since i ran errands and such. anyone have any idea how this question can be answered?

Describe a difficult moral or ethical situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. What personal strengths, values, and beliefs helped you deal with this challenge? (1000 words or less)

i have a terrible memory for remembering experiences like this, so does anyone have suggestions of what examples could be a moral/ethical situation? like, i was thinking that being asked to do something that compromised my beliefs at work could be a possibility, but that's never happened to me. i'm hoping your suggestions will jog my memory a bit =)

how are other duke applicants answering these questions? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

OK, for the first one, I know U of Chicago asked a similar question. However, Duke says that "among those experiences listed on your AMCAS application..." and the one I used for U of C was not listed on my AMCAS application. What a pain in the butt there.

The second question is actually easier to answer for me. I won't share my experience here with you but let me tell you that had I gone through with it, and had I been caught, I would've been kicked out of my school and probably barred from entering med school (and no this is not about cheating on a test). Fortunately (or unfortunately) I had a terrible dilemma that I can use.

heh....too bad i wasnt "lucky" enough to have any bad situations like that....or maybe there is one somewhere, probably a minor one =P

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the process of writing my dilemma one about something I found that goes on in my school that I went along with for a while and then decided I didn't agree with and am trying to change via the administration. I hope it works; why do they ask such hard questions. By the way, I haven't gotten any formal invite to apply Duke secondary. Did you guys get it by real mail or e-mail or what?

Originally posted by grasshopper:
•By the way, I haven't gotten any formal invite to apply Duke secondary. Did you guys get it by real mail or e-mail or what?•

I got mine by e-mail. :)

yeah got mine by email too