Duke secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ciardeme

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, what is up with Duke's essay: identifying some critical issues evoked by technologies such as stem cell research, cloning, etc....address the potential moral, ethical questions that may arise from the decision made regarding these technologies. This is my last essay on my last secondary. I need to submit it today! It figures i am a blank. I am hating life right now. I know getting into Duke with my stats would be like winning the lottery...twice, but does anyone have any suggestions? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

When is the application due? I never completed mine, and now that I've gotten a few rejections, I'm wondering whether it is too late to complete my Duke and JHU secondaries.

Anyway, I don't know what to say, but good luck! I know the Duke app is a bit more arduous than others.

Hey RangerBob, the e-mail states it must be submitted withing 2 weeks. Today marks the 2 week mark for me! You are so right, it is really long and really arduous. 6 short answer questions and 2 essays. thank god this is my last one. then i can settle in and wait for the rejections letters. I just wish there was a way to bounce all of the checks from the schools that reject me! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it matters if you are a few days late. I submitted mine a couple days late, but I got an interview at Duke.

Moo, when was your interview and what are your stats if you don't mind posting them.

After sitting for nearly a week on mine, I'm just finishing up my Duke as we speak... It's so easy to put off those damn essays...

Anyway, I just rambled on for 4000 or so characters (thank you, word count!) about ethics and religion and health care, and blah blah blah blah blah... It is quite possible the worst essay I have written through this whole process, but I'm sending it in before I have a chance to procrastinate any more.

After talking to a few people about this, it looks like most other essays are far from works of art. I think the point is just to see that you can write, and to see how you think. Just put together something quickly, and send it in...

Ciardeme,

My interview is next week, 18 December. I am not going to Durham however, as I scheduled a regional. My stats are slightly below Duke's avgs.
3.72 GPA, 3.8 SGPA, 33Q, math and physics major.

I elected not to submit the thing. Unfortunately, I wasted my time finishing about 75% of it. I also decided not to submit secondaries from Ohio State and Georgetown...all because they requested essays. Damn, I'm lazy :D ! Oh well, I saved a couple hundred bucks and several hours of my life.

Good luck with those essays!!!

Moo, you are so in! Please tell me you have already had several acceptances. Your stats are amazing. :eek:

I think there was a thread very similar to this a couple of weeks ago. :) Anyway, I decided at the last minute to complete my Duke application, and did the whole danged thing in less than 24 hours. I guess I was inspired.

I haven't heard from them yet, but it's only been a week or two.

As for the topic, you can take the ideas they mention (stem cell, etc), come up with something original, or a mix of the two. Once you get going, it's not too hard to ramble on for 4000 characters.

Good luck!

Deadline for Duke applications regardless of the two-week suggested time line is Dec 15 by midnight(online)!

Hey Brandonite. I didn't even apply to Duke (my chances are on the razor thin side and I still hate 'em from the Michigan vs. Duke wars), but it's great to know that others feel the same way I'm feelin' about 2daries. I don't like the quality of the prose and I invariably land up thinking that I haven't told them anything they haven't really extracted from my personal statement. Sucks. :mad: :mad:

Hey Brandonite. I didn't even apply to Duke (my chances are on the razor thin side and I still hate 'em from the Michigan vs. Duke wars), but it's great to know that others feel the same way I'm feelin' about 2daries. I don't like the quality of the prose and I invariably land up thinking that I haven't told them anything they haven't really extracted from my personal statement. Sucks. :mad: :mad:

Oops. I guess I thought that beared repeating. My bad.

Hey, it was a damn fine post. I enjoyed reading it twice. :D

Anyway, I'm sick of filling out secondaries. At first, I started to put some serious effort into them. But with finals coming up, the quality keeps on going down and down and down... My feeling is - they have my AMCAS app with my personal statement, they have my stats, they know my ECs, what difference should some stupid essay that I made up in a half hour make?

Mind you, if I get rejected from every school, I guess that shoots my theory to hell... ;)