kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2001
Status
My app was sent to the Screening process on August 20th. But still no word. Anyone have an app that was moved to the screen at a similar time and not hear anything? Any ideas? thanks!

nitemagi

15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
August 12th baby. Still no word. I'm getting a bad feeling all of a sudden about this year. But maybe I'm just paranoid.

OP
K

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2001
Status
And we filled out that satanic secondary for them!

okay, lets make a pact - those of us who got our applications moved to screen on or before the 21st or whatever who gets rejected/interviewed let the rest of us know!

longhorn

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2002
Texas
-
Status
agreed. I also wanna call and see whats up unless one of you has done this alraedy

Dr Chooch

will row for toast
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2002
in a microwave
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm in too. I was moved to screening on August 20 as well. Still...........not a peep. I am getting pretty tired of popping that status page up to see the same damn doctor lady with the huge smile on her face. The more I see it the more it pisses me off. :rolleyes: Is anyone planning on calling? Good luck to all of you and thanks! :)

V

VirtuoJ

I was moved into screening Aug 20th as well, and so NO WORD.

Luckily today, Maureen Cullins, Assistant Director of Admissions at Duke, came to my school to speak today and I got a chance to ask her about why it is taking so long. Basically, for those who submitted in August and haven't heard anything yet, it can be one of two reasons:

1. Your application goes through 2 screeners. If the 2 screeners give differing opinions about your application, it goes to a 3rd screener... the dean of admissions. So if your application screening is taking a while, it may have moved to the dean for consideration. The dean is probably really busy so it may take a while.

2. Not all applications go through the same set of screeners. It may go to 2 very on-top-of-things faculty and be done in a matter of weeks. However, if your applications goes to screeners who are very busy, it will take a while. Maureen Cullins is one of the screeners and she told me personally that she is VERY backed up in the applications that she has to screen.

Hope that clears things up on why Duke is taking so damn long. Just hang in there guys... we're all in the same boat!

OP
K

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2001
Status
Welp... still no word on Duke. This is really blowing. Anyone tempted on calling them? Status page hasn't changed... so much for their "2-3 weeks"

Kreno

OP
K

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2001
Status
Their freaking admissions office phone line is busy *ALL* the time. Can't even call them...

Dr Chooch

will row for toast
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2002
in a microwave
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I still haven't heard anything either............I think we are waiting out the longest 2-3 weeks in history. :p

longhorn

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2002
Texas
-
Status
I think we are all gonna get rejected. they must have look at our file by now.

OP
K

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2001
Status
yeah, i think i agree. I mean... they *OBVIOUSLY* aren't enthused to accept/interview us. GRR...

nitemagi

15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Y'know I applied to 24 schools this year, and for 18 of them I haven't heard diddly in 1-2 months, Duke included. Now for me I see this as a pattern, either about my application, or about the speed of the process as a whole.

To date I have three rejections and three interviews(different schools). So I'm left wondering.

jalan2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
Status
I definitely belong to this club. My app was completed on Aug 21 and still no word.

longhorn

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2002
Texas
-
Status
yea i saw his post, but realistically I think we have been passed over. I mean from Aug 20th till Oct 15th!!! Also there are a few of us in the same postion so I highly doubt all of our apps have moved to an alternate screener. Who know's though...I guess keep checkin that dumb page

V

VirtuoJ

even though i posted that earlier message, i'm still worrying here. so longhorn... i understand your frustration. from aug 20 to now sure is a hell of a long time. i'm giving it one more week before i email maureen cullins to ask about it.

nitemagi

15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Yes there's reason enough for concern. I wrote to Duke yesterday, concerned that it's been NINE weeks since my app was moved to screen. I asked if something was missing or if my app had fallen through the cracks. Here's the reply:

Your application if[sic] fine. Due to the large number of applications we are receiving it is taking a little longer.

So we should be concerned that it's taken a long time, but there may actually be legitimate reasons.

OP
K

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2001
Status
I don't quite understand that one....

nitemagi

15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
What I mean is that if our apps were looked at as being so great, we probably would have gotten a quick reply. But according to them there may be other reasons. So according to them don't freak yet, but according to me we should at least be a little concerned.

OP
K

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2001
Status
Out of all of us on this studentdoctor thing whining about Duke -at least one of us has to be what duke considers a "sweet application". therefore, i'm starting to think (or at least brainwash myself so I don't go nuts) that there is some tangible reason their applications checks are being backed up... maybe they're just overwhelmed?

uffda

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2002
Visit site
Status
maybe it means they're reading each and every word of each and every one of those @(*%$( secondary questions :)

V

VirtuoJ

i understand them being overwhelmed NOW, but i can't believe them being overwhelmed in late August (when my app was complete). and they've had almost 2 months!!! :mad:

has anyone out there received a post-secondary rejection from duke? i think this is sign of an imminent rejection letter/email. :(

goldenbears18

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2002
Visit site
Status
A duke admissions rep was recently at my school for a health fair. She told me that I should have received an email interview invitation or an email rejection by now (I was moved to screening on August 21 or so). But so far, no news ... and I'm too lazy to call the admissions office and find out myself. She stated that they would definitely let you know either way, by email, though. Don't know if that helps.

OP
K

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2001
Status
two things. a email rejection? that blows... talk about rude.

second.. it's impossible to call duke. their line is *ALWAYS* busy

longhorn

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2002
Texas
-
Status
If anyone gets through to the admissions office please post your reply on this page so we can all know wtf is goin' on.

V

VirtuoJ

kreno-

i don't think you're calling the right number. the 800 number that they list on their status page is always busy. but they have a regular number that begins with 919. just substitute the 800 number with 919 for the 800 and that's the right number. so if its 800-XXX-XXXX, dial 919-XXX-XXXX. those bastards just want us to think that we can call them for free... but we really can't.

ccCrazie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Status
Everyone waiting for an interview at duke should relax a little. I was there interviewing last week and they're only interviewin 6 people at a time, unlike other schools who are interviewing like 20 a day. Therefore it takes a little longer to go through everyone. Just be patient. It's still very early.

nitemagi

15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
ccCrazie,

could you possibly post your stats and what your app completion date was?

ccCrazie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Status
Sure Nitemagi.

My application was complete on the 20th of august and I was invited for an interview on october 1st. I'm a white male with a 3.79 gpa, 36 mcat and extensive research experience. If it makes you feel better, 4 of the 6 people being interviewed the day I went were from duke, including me so they may be favoring duke students early in the interview process. One was even a former basketball player there. I think duke interviews into march so if you think about 6 people a day for oct, nov, dec, jan, feb, and march....it takes a while and moves quite slowly. Still almost 5 more months of interviewing and since they do it every weekday, that means they have almost 100 days of interviewing. It's still very early so just be patient and I'm sure you'll hear good news from them.

surfdevl02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
Status
CcCrazie-
So...i gotta ask..who was the Duke basketball player. My guess is Georgia Schweitzer but i'm not sure....

surfdevl02

P.S.-Are you class of 2002?

Bounty

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2002
Visit site
Status
Yay Class of 2002! :)
Was it JD Simpson? He told me he was planning to apply to med school eventually. Hehehe.

Random Access

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by ccCrazie
Bounty,

Good guess, but not JD. Think McDonald's All-American.
Well the All-American that I can think of who wanted to go to med school is Jason Williams. Although he goes by Jay now, and he was drafted...

Random Access

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Status
FYI, here are some recent McD's All-Americans who went to Duke:

Shane Battier

Carlos Boozer, Jr.

Mike Dunleavy

Casey Sanders

Jason Williams

Nate James

I'm going to go with my previous guess, just because I definitely heard more than once that he was thinking about med school.

ccCrazie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Status
We have a winner. How the hell did you guess Taymon Domzalski that quick? He's not the first guy that comes to mind. Yeah, as soon as I walked in I couldn't help but notice the 6'9" guy sitting there, and I was like what is Taymon Domzalksi doing here? He turned out to be both impressive and very friendly. Definitely the only guy in the room who had to have his picture ID taken while sitting down.

Random Access

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Status
We have a winner. How the hell did you guess Taymon Domzalski that quick? He's not the first guy that comes to mind. Yeah, as soon as I walked in I couldn't help but notice the 6'9" guy sitting there, and I was like what is Taymon Domzalksi doing here? He turned out to be both impressive and very friendly. Definitely the only guy in the room who had to have his picture ID taken while sitting down.
Hmmm...he'd be '99? I suppose that would make him non-trad. :)

Bounty

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2002
Visit site
Status
Haha I'll be honest. I would never have come up with it on my own. I was talking to my boyfriend from duke and he immediately guessed Taymon. :)

AegisZero

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2002
Visit site
Status
I goto Duke for undergrad. I would just like to warn you of a big story that was in our school newspaper several months ago. Apparently for last year several students got acceptances via the web system. Turns out it was a glitch, and those students were still denied admission.

Remember, wait for the real/official letter before dropping out of any other schools.

uffda

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Exene
Oh yeah, does anyone know if they really do screen before they offer secondaries? According to SDN they do, but I don't know of a single person who applied there and did not receive the secondary.
that could be because it's a self-selected sample - people that didn't think they'd be competitive at Duke probably didn't apply there - and so the ones that did were competitive and got secondarys.