Duke: stupid question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellia08

Medicine + Math = Awesome
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A quick and easy question:

Does Duke have rolling admissions?

I have found reports that seem to contradict each other in the litrature. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

A.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's a rolling. They give out their first batch of acceptances in March.

When did you get a Duke interview if you don't mind my asking?

I dont mind at all.

I just got my interview today. (which was awesome! I danced around like an idiot.) I had been complete since the second week of september so it was great to hear from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
ellia08 said:
I dont mind at all.

I just got my interview today. (which was awesome! I danced around like an idiot.) I had been complete since the second week of september so it was great to hear from them.

A recent poll by Gallup showed that 97% of all individuals interviewed by Duke "danced around like an idiot". So I wouldn't feel so bad :)

Good luck with Duke (and Hopkins, Harvard, etc...) I hope to see you there next fall... :)

ellia08 said:
A quick and easy question:

Does Duke have rolling admissions?

I have found reports that seem to contradict each other in the litrature. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

A.

It is rolling in the sense that we make decisions on candidates as they interview. The final bunch are given acceptances in Feb (not sure about this year) and March.

mangogurl said:
It is rolling in the sense that we make decisions on candidates as they interview. The final bunch are given acceptances in Feb (not sure about this year) and March.

Rolling in the sense of what? It sounds like you're entirely rolling. I mean, you make decisions on applicants as they interview but you only have so many acceptances to give out (I'm assuming you have some target number of maticulating sutdents). So, if someone interviews later in the cycle and you've decided after the interviews before him to give out 230 offers of admission (in 2002 you gave out 239) then basically he would be in a much worse place than say someone who interviewed in september.

USCTex said:
Rolling in the sense of what? It sounds like you're entirely rolling. I mean, you make decisions on applicants as they interview but you only have so many acceptances to give out (I'm assuming you have some target number of maticulating sutdents). So, if someone interviews later in the cycle and you've decided after the interviews before him to give out 230 offers of admission (in 2002 you gave out 239) then basically he would be in a much worse place than say someone who interviewed in september.

I agree completely...it's not like Duke or anyother school that calls itself "non rolling" decides on all 700 applicants it interviewed who's getting in and who's not all in ONE DAY...it's done in a rolling process, the results of which is told to everyone at a later preset time

RunMimi said:
I go to Duke undergrad and here is what my pre-med dean told all of us about Duke. I figure she has pretty darn close to the 'inside scoop'.

For the last few years, Duke has made their first round of acceptances the first week of March. That's also when they will send out many rejection letters. If you don't get either an acceptance or a rejection when that set of letters goes out, you probably still have some chance at Duke. They will make some additional offers in April. Duke does oversubscribe their class. So after April, it might take some time for any acceptances to be offered off of the alternate list.

That is correct. We do NOT look at applications and say accepted/not accepted, rather we discuss the applications in depth, then review them all AGAIN to make FINAL decisions (yay or nay) much later in the process. The final decisions go out in Feb/March. Hope that helps.

I'd like to get in, please :D ;)

Nubian, is that a picture of you in the avatar? :p I generally don't compliment women but baby, if we're ever in the same state, we have got to kick it. I've been told that I'm awfully big for my religion. :D

joseph2707 said:
Nubian, is that a picture of you in the avatar? :p I generally don't compliment women but baby, if we're ever in the same state, we have got to kick it. I've been told that I'm awfully big for my religion. :D
Haha, two words. Destiny's Child ;) But if I could have anything of Kelly's, it would be her vocal range.

NubianPrincess said:
Haha, two words. Destiny's Child ;) But if I could have anything of Kelly's, it would be her vocal range.

If I could have anything of Kelly's it WOULDN'T be her vocal range! (if you know what I mean) :D

mangogurl said:

Do you work for admissions? If so give us some tips. :D

Psycho Doctor said:
Do you work for admissions? If so give us some tips. :D

PM me with if you have a particular question and I will do my best to answer it(within reason of course)! :)

mangogurl said:
PM me with if you have a particular question and I will do my best to answer it(within reason of course)! :)

i don't have a particular question. however if you told me you worked for admissions, perhaps i could think up one, or two or thirty four. :D