Duke University MBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So, I got a phone call then an email a few hours later on Monday. I'm also surprised they haven't notified everyone yet but best of luck and I hope to see some of you this June!

Also, it's not too late to apply. Some of us applied for priority review, which was supposed to guarantee a decision by now. I submitted on the 11th and got a confirmation the day after but I know that their inbox was very busy leading up to the deadline.

Mind sharing stats for those waitlisted / deferred?
3.2 GPA (both science and cumulative); pretty great resume and shadowing hours (1000+); published research; 24 MCAT

Not the best numbers, which is probably why I got waitlisted. Good luck to you all!

Hi everyone

I submitted my application on March 12th hoping to qualify for priority review but did not receive a confirmation email nor any status on acceptance. I found out yesterday that my application was not received because there's a problem with the email system right now. Apparently if you attached documents within the pdf somehow your application won't be received by the admissions committee. I called them on the phone today and they said to remove the attachments within the document and just separately attach them within the email. I am writing this as a fyi for anyone who hasn't applied or did apply but hasn't received any news or a confirmation email. Best of luck and congrats to anyone who's made it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are most of the people who are applying for this people with gap years like me? Just wondering. I wonder how diverse the group will be and how many people will be in the program.

I'm heading into my third gap year and will have probably taken four (hopefully) by the time I matriculate into med school.

Yep! I sent in my check last week :)

Yay, awesome! Can't wait to meet everyone. Hopefully we can get a Facebook group started soon (after May 1 when the last decisions are sent out?) so we can start planning for roommates, etc.

Does anyone know when we are supposed to hear back? I submitted my application May 30th and have still not heard back. They emailed me saying they recieved my application and all supporting documents but have not heard back since. 3.5 GPA 32 MCAT 2 papers submitted for publication, 2 years research in a lab, 100 hours clinical volunteering 200 shadowing 60 nonclinical volunteering. I am starting to get nervous, really want to go to Duke for my gap year :(

By May 1

Does anyone know when we are supposed to hear back? I submitted my application May 30th and have still not heard back. They emailed me saying they recieved my application and all supporting documents but have not heard back since. 3.5 GPA 32 MCAT 2 papers submitted for publication, 2 years research in a lab, 100 hours clinical volunteering 200 shadowing 60 nonclinical volunteering. I am starting to get nervous, really want to go to Duke for my gap year :(
Don't want to start one of those infamous stats arguments on SDN but based on your info aren't you very capable of entering medical school without doing a master's? (saying as a compliment, no negativity implied)

Anyone hear back recently?
I checked with the admissions people, and they told me that May 1st is the official day when all final decisions, including those who were deferred from priority review, as well as the applicants from the regular application pool, will be notified. Applicants do not get decisions as time goes on, after the March 30th priority decisions. May 1st is when all final decisions should be sent out, from what I gathered.

I checked with the admissions people, and they told me that May 1st is the official day when all final decisions, including those who were deferred from priority review, as well as the applicants from the regular application pool, will be notified. Applicants do not get decisions as time goes on, after the March 30th priority decisions. May 1st is when all final decisions should be sent out, from what I gathered.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted here. Hard to fathom anyone who would get accepted and decide to pass up the opportunity.

Was it an email or a telephone call? I still haven't heard anything yet.

Got in with a 3.4 and 25 MCAT. Can't go because I have one more class left. :(

Dang that blows. At the same time, I respectfully thank you for this info because I have a nonzero chance of getting off the waitlist. (Doesn't mean that much but better than my previous expectation of zero)

Does anyone know when scholarship information will become available?

Does anyone know when scholarship information will become available?

After you've submitted your FAFSA. If you haven't already, I'd do it ASAP. If not, they may have already processed it but you need a net ID to access the info in your ACES account/university email. But you can always follow up with the graduate FinAid Office--they're very helpful.

Thanks @jnrep13! I actually just emailed with the office and they said that all merit scholarships have been awarded. They will use the FAFSA for need-based awards though!

Thanks @jnrep13! I actually just emailed with the office and they said that all merit scholarships have been awarded. They will use the FAFSA for need-based awards though!

Oh okay, good to know. Thanks & no problem!

Can't wait to meet all of you this June! Anyone on this thread a resident in Durham already?

Just got accepted from the wait list!

Is there a facebook group?

I wasn't contacted at all. Don't know if that's a good or a bad thing (even though I'm leaning towards bad :().

Hello, I've been accepted to this program with a low GPA (3.2 u and s) but wanted to know what medical schools would think of the curriculum..

Hello, I've been accepted to this program with a low GPA (3.2 u and s) but wanted to know what medical schools would think of the curriculum..
I'm in a similar situation but have no premed advisor to ask questions to. Has anyone been able to get a sense of how this program is percieved? I know it's new, any ideas what adcoms will think of the curriculum?

I'm in a similar situation but have no premed advisor to ask questions to. Has anyone been able to get a sense of how this program is percieved? I know it's new, any ideas what adcoms will think of the curriculum?

I think the program will be looked upon somewhat favorably because of the duke name. That being said, it is a brand new program with no track record and no alumni. Also, the courses are not taken with medical students so the grading will be a bit harder to judge than some other master's programs. I decided to attend a master's program elsewhere because I couldn't get over the lack of acceptance data. You're best bet will be to pick up the phone and call some of your top choice medical school's adcom offices.

So I wrote a long reply and it got deleted...I have no time to reply until later so if you have specific questions for me to answer post them here please. For now I will say that this program is awesome and has exceeded my expectations.
Is there a way to Duke's medical school from this program?