Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Duke vs. UMiami decisions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by josh999123, Apr 18, 2004.

1. josh999123

josh999123 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    May 1st is the deadline for undergrad matriculation and i am in a dilemma.
    I got into duke and the university of miami's 6 year medical program. I am committed to becoming a doctor but i am not sure which road is better to take. I have talked to a lot of people and i am leaning towards duke, however I am worried about the whole medical school admissions thing and i am already accepted to the med school at um. Please post your opinions I need so help from people in college or already in medical school. I am really torn between the two options and financially they are the same.

2. Gutierrez001

Gutierrez001 Member
    5+ Year Member

Go Canes!!!!!!!!!

3. MabdulD

MabdulD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well...

This is a tough one, and I don't think it's going to be easy for other people to answer this for you. I think if you're already leaning towards Duke, it's probably because you want to have the whole undergrad experience, which is not something you're going to get in 2 years in Miami. You might also be better prepared for med school with 4 years at Duke, as opposed to 2 in Miami, and, in the long run, I think this will help you (i.e., maybe that helps you get a better residency match). On the other hand, some people just know what they want to do, and really just want to do it already...in which case, if you go to Miami, you're 2 years ahead, and you can feel completely secure, not having to worry about admissions.

As for me? I never applied to the Miami 6-year (I'm from the area) because I didn't want to miss out on college. But my dad did a 5 year thing back in the day, and I think he's always regretted it. I'm finishing up here at Duke, I'm not in any med schools, and if I could somehow go back in time and face your decision, I still wouldn't give up my college experience. So, that's where I stand.

Good luck.

4. josh999123

josh999123 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Looking at your profile MAbdulD is why I am somewhat scared about med admissions. Nothing is guranteed Guranteed med school is a really nice thing to have however I went up to duke cuz i was a merit scholarship finalist and loved it, but i wonder now would i love it on an everyday basis. Also for residency doesnt the 6 year program look quite good or no? I am very concerned because i know that duke looks and is a much better undergrad experience but how much of that factors into residency decisions.
    I didnt want to sacriface my undergrad experience but i am willing to if it is what must be done. Thx again for the posts

5. MabdulD

MabdulD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It's not really whether the 6 year program looks good, or whether Duke looks good or anything like that. Ultimately, the residency programs aren't going to care at all where you did your undergraduate work.

The difference, though, is what 2 years at Miami is going to do for you, in terms of personal development and preparedness for med school, compared to 4 years at Duke. For some people, it might make no difference, but for a lot of people I think it definitely would. You could slack off at Miami, and when you get to med school, have no idea how to learn all that stuff as quick as you need to, but you can't do that at Duke. And two extra years of experience and maturity might be a big deal when you do your clinical rotations. And that's the kind of stuff that's going to affect your residency options.

It really depends on how motivated/mature/whatever you are now, how anxious you are to rush on ahead with your life, and how much you might value the college experience. This is going to be different for every person.

But, yes, there's always that chance you won't get into med school straight out of college...

6. Catalyst

Catalyst Enjoying Life
    10+ Year Member

My feeling is that if you're smart enough to get into both Duke and Miami's 6-year program, you'll probably do well enough at Duke to get into medical school. I'd go to Duke and fully enjoy the four years of your life that you'll never get back.

7. mosfet

mosfet Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dude....there IS no choice here. I wouldn't pass up the 6-year medical program. Moreover, UM is a pretty good med school. I understand that you don't want to sacrifice your undergrad experience and everything.....but think 'bout it. Two years of undergraduate experience is plenty of fun, especially considering the fact that you don't have to worry about excelling in your classes and getting a stellar MCAT score and all that. Do you really want to go through the pain of applying through AMCAS (which BTW sucks), spending ridiculous amounts of money on secondaries, waiting a lifetime for interviews , waiting an eternity on the waitlists.....and the nightmare goes on. And as far as residencies are concerned, school reputation helps but only to a certain degree......whatever med school you attend, it's what you make out of it, your board scores, research, rotations, etc. I think you are making a BIG mistake if you don't take the 6-year route.

Either way, it's up to you and good luck.

8. maswe12

maswe12 Member
    7+ Year Member

I completely agree. Spend 4 years as an undergrad. You are going to be a doctor for the rest of your life...whats the hurry. Take some time, do some other things you want to do, expand your horizons. If you really just want to go into medicine right away, then do it... but if you have any doubts about giving up those two years then take the normal undergrad route.

9. Amygdala

Amygdala Amygdala
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am really glad to read your thread on Duke and UM. Let me tell you... I am here in Miami now but I am from up north. Here is the pitch. I UM is great if you want to practice in the solace of Miami. Everyone and their mom knows about UM IN FLORIDA. Outside of Florida, very few. I am am one of those that did not know the reputation or lack thereof, of UM. If you want a fuller experience and a more competitive edge in getting accepted to OTHER medical schools (aside from the acceptance to UM med) then PLEASE go to DUKE. Get out of Florida and see the rest of the world. Think about it. YOu already live there, AND you will be for the next 6 YEARS. Man, that really sounds limited. Take if from someone who has lived a complete and satisfying college career (studied abroad, majored in non-science concentration, took a break after undergrad...the list goes on) and is now ready to go to medical school. Good Luck

10. Pixie162

Pixie162 Junior Member

Hi, I am currently in the 8-yr REMS program at the University of Rochester. I got into the 6 year UMiami program, but decided on Rochester instead because I had heard that the UMiami program required intense summers and undergrad years...and I wanted to have a relaxing and worthwhile undergraduate career. Looking back, I am so glad I chose Rochester! I'm excited to attend med school this fall--and I don't feel like I lost anything by not going to med school earlier. Plus, Duke is a much better school than UMiami, academics-wise. Like the others said, if you are good enough to get into the Miami program AND Duke, then you should have no problem getting into med school after your undergrad years. Good luck with whatever you choose!!

11. canada

canada Member
    7+ Year Member

i totally agree with mosfet, you'll have a more relaxed undergrad with no worries about med applications. and 2 years is plenty to have fun.
    i was personally ready to go into med school after 2 yrs of undergrad....think about it....guaranteed med school out of high shcool? that's cool.

but either way, i'm sure you'll do fine.

12. duck2005

duck2005 Member
    5+ Year Member

duke. with decent grades (3.5) and decent mcat (33), im certian you could get into miami from duke. AND you'd have 4 yrs of an amazing undergrad experience. PLUS the option of applying to more competitive medical schools after 4 yrs of undergrad. worst case scenario- you'll end up at miami med anyways. best case- you'll end up at hopkins and you'll get 4 yrs of a tremendous undergrad scenario.

13. Alcon

Alcon Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc

wtf

that's the worst reasoning I've heard in a long time... talk about taking things for granted.

14. Freakingzooming

Freakingzooming Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

well shoot, you're like in my shoes four years ago.

I had a choice of doing the UMKC six year BA/MD program or going to Cornell, Berkeley, or U of Chicago.

I ended up deciding to go to the U of C.

But I don't stop thinking what if. What if I had chosen the six year program. I could've gotten my MD before I turned 23. Right now, I'm in the process of applying and well doing all the little things to scrap up an application. I just want you to know that if I could redo everything I probably would've gone to Kansas City. The pain of being a premed and worrying about what if what ifs.... can drive you insane.

Take my advice and visit both schools. Look into yourself and see if you're sure you want to become a doctor. Because I didn't do that enough myself.

15. josh999123

josh999123 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have decided to go to Duke. I went with my heart, I really believe that i am going to love it there. :D :D :D