SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Duke vs WashU

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Original, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Original

Original Ogori-Magongo Warrior 7+ Year Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Hey off the top, what do you guys think about these schools. I know they're both great; but if given a choice where would you go and why?

Please don't fry me for this thread. I'm just trying to do a little survey here. Thanks in advance.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2001
    hey,

they're both terrific. I haven't yet looked into specifics of medschool, so I don't know which i would prefer.

I'm an undergrad at washu, and I have to say the student atmosphere is extremely excellent. proffesor's care to teach you, and you're treated really well. It is not an extremely competitive enviornment. and adminstrative people are not pure red tape. I'm guessing WashU medschool will also have some of these qualities.

Interesting question nonetheles, and don't see a reason people should fry you. :D . How about adding why you would choose the one you do, for whoever does answer.

4. What? Don't fry you for this thread? hmm. OK. after all, this "survey" will really play a role in your decision. and since I know you care about what i think, and are not starting this thread to basically show off, I'll tell you.

Off the top, you are the md/phd candidate who says he got into duke allegedly before they began sending out acceptances. and frankly, I can't figure out (i'm relatively new to the thread, maybe others have caught on) whether or not you're a pathological liar. But i'm gonna assume you're not, cuz you're a good guy. So here's my opinion. Go with what Epi and Jargon said in the thread about stanford and ucsf. they both seem to be very realistic, reasonable people judging from their comment. as 'empowered' as you wanna feel in this decision process, this is really a question that nobody can help you with. ultimately, you'll weigh the same things you know currently about those schools, and make your decision accordingly. no new info about personal experiences, etc will change your mind, so this thread is essentially just kind of a chatty, conversational, shooting the breeze type of thread. and it's in bad taste, because it seems like you're showing off. it's like some guy asking
    "hey fellas, off the top, Harvard or Hopkins? Geez i'm just baffled here. really, don't fry me here, i'm sincerely concerned about which one you guys think is better and why. please describe in detail because although i made it this far, i cannot make this supercomplicated decision. any help is appreciated. best wishes. sicerely, the guy with no tact."

humbly and respectfully, i view the thread as inappropriate, and made even more so by the fact that i don't think our opinion will factor into your decision. I'm sure you've gathered all the statistical and qualitative info on the schools. Now make the decision you lucky SOB.

5. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 23, 2001
    The Big House
    Well said Caveman. Seems this guy wants to know what a bunch of pre-meds think about being in medical school. --Trek

6. Original

Sep 2, 2001
    Hey Sonya: Thanks!

A. Caveman:
    You start off by agreeing not to fry me and then you turn around and barbeque my ass. Whats the difference between frying and barbequeing eh? Lets not get too technical.

Others:
    Please respond. I said I'm doing a "little survey" but I didn't mean that little. Once again, lets not get too technical.

7. Original

Sep 2, 2001

8. brandonite

brandonite Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Manitoba, Canada
    Some people get offended too easily.. I don't see anything the matter with asking people what their opinions are on a couple of schools... We're making a pretty important decision here. And a lot of us will eventually (I hope!) get a couple of acceptances. Calm down, man.

I would go with Duke, but that's just my opinion based on no real evidence. :D But I haven't been to either school, so it's hard for me to tell either way.

9. Jo

Jo Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Hey Original,

Wow, you seem to have a knack for getting fried on this forum :) But don't worry about it...and congrats on your acceptances! From what I've heard, Duke has a slightly better reputation among residency directors, but I've been warned that you should know what you're getting into if you go there. They compress their basic sciences into a year instead of two to give you an extra year to do research, which is awesome for some people, but others prefer the traditional two year basic science program. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there. I don't think you could go wrong either way though.

Best,

Jo

10. Original

Sep 2, 2001
    Brando and Jo thanks for your responses. I guess I look like chicken hence the constant frying.

Sonya is in Engineering and is more used to comraderie and students helping each other out like you guys do. That's why she thought it is so outlandish for anyone to fry me for this thread. Sooner or later she's got to learn what a caustic group pre-meds can be. I hate to see such a bright youngster get jaded this early in the process; but what's got to be is got to be.

11. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Hi,

Thanks for the inputs. Yeah, I interact more with other classmates in my engineering classes. But people aren't that bad in my bio classes either. But my brother went to UC Berkeley (sp?), and the "cutthroat" attitude of pre-meds was much more abundant than anything I'd ever say at WashU. About half my bio eng classmates are pre-med.

I doubt I'd get acceptance to both WashU and Duke, and would gladly go to either. But it's still interesting to know what are the qualities of both schools.

Did you get in both, Original? If so, Great Job!

12. Original

Sep 2, 2001

13. sonya is just too inexperienced to know a fake person when she sees one. you, original, are as fake as they come. you're a wolf in sheep's clothing. the Devil in a blue dress. you're so evil, you're eveel.

14. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 23, 2001
    arlington, tx
    I don't see what the big deal is if he wants to know about two schools. I think that it could be helpful to get some viewpoints about a school from people who might be familiar with the school or maybe even go to the school. Unfortunately, you really only learn so much from the one day at an interview.

15. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2001

16. Original

Sep 2, 2001

17. SMW

SMW Grand Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    Chill out, guys, or should I say, settle down, children!? :D It's starting to sound like TPR around here! :p

18. Original

Sep 2, 2001
    Hey we're just trying to have a little fun.

Caveman:
    Stop acting like a bitch. You're giving us too much bad press. But hey you know I love you dude.

19. brandonite

brandonite Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Manitoba, Canada

20. hey hey hey. sorry if things got heated. i felt it was the right thing to do. we should all just chill out. most of my comments are pretty sarcastic and meant to be funny. even when i tried original that second time i injected some humor with the eveel (austin powers) comment. love me people, love me. (not you original--dawgie dogg)

21. MAPKinkster

MAPKinkster Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 18, 2001
    Bezerkeley
    ORIGINAL!

What's up? Happy New Year! WashU or Duke? I didn't look very closely at these two programs but I remember when Dr. Armstrong, an admissions lady from Duke, visited Berkeley. I think their curriculum is crazy and the first year (and summer) is crammed with what other schools do in two years. But they still take the boards after the 2nd year (b/c they don't quite cram in time). I'm not sure if the MSTPers do that too, but you gotta wonder where you have time to do lab rotations and all that?

If you can handle the intense curriculum, I'd recommend Duke! For the next 7 years (or however long it takes to do your MSTP), you'll have a kickass basketball program to follow since they've got Coach K set for life!

MaPKiNKSTeR

22. Original

Sep 2, 2001
    Thanks Map! sounds good.

Hey Caveman! you should have learned by now that Brando wouldn't just sit and watch you talk trash about me. What the he11 are you doing on the internet anyway. Damn caveman trying to use a computer. I guess you got tired of cracking nuts open with your forehead and striking your ass-bone on rocks to start wildfires. I sometimes wander what the world is coming to. Even Caveman is trying to go high-tech all of a sudden. :D

23. omores

omores sleep deprived 10+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Seattle
    And now back to the question. I spent a great deal of time comparing these schools last year. I ended up at Duke, but knew that I'd liekly have had a wonderful time at WashU as well.

The factors that influenced my decision:

Curriculum: WashU has a traditional curriculum; Duke's curriculum is compressed. This makes for a rather intense first year -- though it doesn't seem to be a whole lot worse than anyone else's. I still seem to have plenty of time to sleep/speak to my husband/go out and play. Duke's curriculum does mean that you have to do some "remedial learning" in preparation for Step 1, though there's plenty of time, since we take the exam during our THIRD year (contrary to what MAPK says). The benefit is that you get to begin your clinical rotations a whole year earlier, which will really help guide you in your decision of what field to pursue. Then you get a whole year to work on a project: you can do clinical or basic science research, or pursue a second degree. Many Duke students use the year to get an MPH at the University of North Carolina, which has an excellent program.

Financial Aid: both Duke and WashU offer full tuition merit scholarships. WashU has a separate application process for them; Duke awards them based on your AMCAS application. Both schools also have good need-based aid, though Duke is a bit more generous. At WashU, you pay your EFC (as determined by FAFSA) plus $5,000. The school splits the remainder 50/50 between grants and loans. At Duke, you pay your EFC, and the school splits the remainder 63/37 between grants and loans -- at least this was how it worked last year.

Facilities: WashU has a spectacular anatomy lab and a really nice library. Duke's aren't nearly as spiffy, but our amphitheatre is much more comfortable (in my opinion.) WashU's med school is entirely separate from its main campus. Duke's is kind of stuck on one side, so you can enter from the north through the hospital and entirely ignore the existence of the college, or enter from the south through all the fabulous faux-gothic wonder (as seen on Dawson's Creek!)

Other: one of my main reasons for choosing Duke was that I ran into more older students here, which made me think I'd be more comfortable (I'm 33.) The majority of students are still right out of college, however. Also, WashU has a fair number of 1st year students living in Olin Hall (which is attached to the medical school, so you can go to class in your pajamas.) I was concerned that this would create a kind of "dorm culture" among the MS1s that would make me feel even more excluded. But remember that I'm just an old married lady, and some people might find Olin Hall a major selling point for WashU, since it's so convenient.

Both Durham and St. Louis have low costs of living. St. Louis is ten times as large. Durham is not an exciting town, but I don't really care since I don't have the need or the time for much excitement!

Both schools struck me as having administrations that were really devoted to making sure the students were happy, and it seemed to be working. Also, neither school seemed at all pretentious or hung up on its own reputation.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions!

:D :) :) :D

24. Original

Sep 2, 2001
    Wow Omores! You're so awesome. Thanks for the comprehensive break-down. Yeah I ran into more older/married students at Duke than elsewhere. I'm neither an older nor a married student but I thought it was kind of cool that everyone wasn't 21/22 and fresh out of college.

25. energy_girl

energy_girl 10+ Year Member

Aug 13, 2001
    global community
    Hey Original,

I meant to write to you sooner for several reasons, not the least of which is that I am an MD/PhD student at Wash U. and want to recruit you to our program ;) (I also briefly met you during your interview visit, and my roommate took you out to dinner). I saw this topic and had to respond: Duke and Wash U. were the two major schools I was deciding between last year as well. Obviously, I chose Wash U. I agree that both schools are excellent, and that you probably won't go wrong with either school. In fact, chances are good that any of the schools you get accepted to will be more than sufficient to give you solid training in medicine and research. You just have to decide which school "fits" you better.

Even though it was a difficult choice for me, I thought that Wash U. was more suited for me for a couple of reasons. The program is much better organized and well-designed(in my opinion) than Duke's. This is evident from the administrative support you get from the schools, as well as the curriculum--whereas Duke's MD/PhD offers a PhD that is the same length as regular PhDs, Wash U.'s is more integrative with the med school curriculum. In addition, Wash U. MSTP's larger size was also attractive to me. And although Wash U. tends not be as diverse as I would like, St. Louis is a pretty diverse city with plenty of things to do. In terms of the students and faculty, I got the impression that both schools are very supportive and have great students. Ultimately, for me, it was up to the feeling I got from each school.

I've rambled on enough. If you have any questions about either of these schools, let me know and I'll try my best. As a lot of people have said, you just can't go wrong with either school (although I'm still hoping you come to Wash U. :D ) . Good luck, Original!

energy_girl

26. Original

Sep 2, 2001
    Wow! Nice. Thanks so much for the info. I feel so special. But oops.. I guess this board isn't as anonymous as I thought :D . My PI and the guys in my lab are trying hard not to tell me where to go; but I can tell that they definitely prefer WashU. Class in a minute. I'll send you a PM in a few hours.

27. Original

Sep 2, 2001
    Hey Energy_girl! I sort of decided this afternoon that I'll be going to Duke. I'm really going to miss you guys :( . I was watching the ball game last night and saw Duke loose by one freaking point. It was then that it hit me that I have a calling. I believe they would have won if I had been there courtside at Cameron yelling my head off; with my shirt off and my face and man-boobs painted in blue. I will still come for 2nd look so I can do some recruiting for Duke... Just kidding :D . But I'll be at 2nd look and can still possibly change my mind (though not too likely). I think you guys are extremely nice and I hope I meet people like you and your roommate at Duke. You guys are awesome. Thanks again for all the help. You ALMOST made me come to WashU. I hope I don't regret not coming. Hopefully I'll see you at 2nd look.

28. i take it back, this board was definitely worth its weight in gold. lots of solid responses. that should teach me to be more open minded, but it's tough with all these troglodytes around me, you understand. original, about that dream you had with the fried chicken...i don't know what the heck it means either, but maybe it's another calling.... :D

29. Original

Sep 2, 2001
    Hey Caveman we're cool. You're right. It's good to be critical.