Duke VS Yale Trad VS Yale PC VS UCLA VS Northwestern VS Washington VS WashU-STL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldenBoyGC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to jdh71 and chitown82 for your help with my previous post. Well, along the same lines as my previous question, which IM program (in your perspective) do you think is better overall (clinical/research/fellowship match)? Duke- VS Yale-Trad VS Yale-PC VS UCLA VS Northwestern VS Washington VS WashU-STL VS UT-Southwestern. I realize it's a lot of schools I'm asking to compare but any thoughts are really appreciated, especially to someone like me who is confused about how to view them - thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks to jdh71 and chitown82 for your help with my previous post. Well, along the same lines as my previous question, which IM program (in your perspective) do you think is better overall (clinical/research/fellowship match)? Duke- VS Yale-Trad VS Yale-PC VS UCLA VS Northwestern VS Washington VS WashU-STL VS UT-Southwestern. I realize it's a lot of schools I'm asking to compare but any thoughts are really appreciated, especially to someone like me who is confused about how to view them - thanks again.

Let me add the usual disclaimer: "Better" is the really the program you like best, especially when you have such a nice list of places. The degree of differences between some of these places, if it really exists at all, is so small it probably doesn't make much difference. There are no "official" rankings. Here's how I'd put them in order in the way I kind of see them as academic IM residency programs . . .

Duke > UDub = WashU = SWern = UCLA > NWern = Yale

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed at all of these except UTSW... Would agree with jdh that not much separates these programs but would say he is overrating ucla and underrating yale.

Duke
UW = Yale Trad = WashU = UCLA
UTSW = NW = Yale PC

Interviewed at all of these except UTSW... Would agree with jdh that not much separates these programs but would say he is overrating ucla and underrating yale.

Duke
UW = Yale Trad = WashU = UCLA
UTSW = NW = Yale PC

*shrug*

We know you like Yale, have had good experience there, but I simply cannot put them on the same level for academic reputation as UDub, WashU, or UCLA.

*shrug*

We know you like Yale, have had good experience there, but I simply cannot put them on the same level for academic reputation as UDub, WashU, or UCLA.

Academic rep we can argue all day, and to an extent I pretty much agree with your taking on that basis. But that's not what the OP was asking about...OP wanted assessments of clinical/research/fellowship match. On that basis, then, Yale stands even with those programs despite the going reputation on sdn/in academia, where perceptions take years to change...

Academic rep we can argue all day, and to an extent I pretty much agree with your taking on that basis. But that's not what the OP was asking about...OP wanted assessments of clinical/research/fellowship match. On that basis, then, Yale stands even with those programs despite the going reputation on sdn/in academia, where perceptions take years to change...

what about yale trad vs yale pc?. I have an interview for the latter but not the trad program. How difficult is it to obtain fellowship in cards or gi coming out of yale pc?

An argument we could make about many, many, many programs.

I always thought Yale was solid, and your experience there as told on this forum only underlines how good of a program Yale actually is. I think too often people, and I'm not accusing you of this, but they mistakenly assume that because a program comes near the end of a list that it means it's no good.

I think the bottom line is that people need to pay attention to all information, including what they may hear on SDN, but at the end of the day people really need to check out these programs for themselves. I think you'll get a "feeling" about which program is best for you. I think all of the programs mentioned in the OP are great places to train.

Agree as usual with the excellent comments here. jdh - hugs. :)

An argument we could make about many, many, many programs.

I always thought Yale was solid, and your experience there as told on this forum only underlines how good of a program Yale actually is. I think too often people, and I'm not accusing you of this, but they mistakenly assume that because a program comes near the end of a list that it means it's no good.

I think the bottom line is that people need to pay attention to all information, including what they may hear on SDN, but at the end of the day people really need to check out these programs for themselves. I think you'll get a "feeling" about which program is best for you. I think all of the programs mentioned in the OP are great places to train.