Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chalazion12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey what do you guys think of the Duke IM program. For those who have interviewed or currently work there, how "malignant" is it? I know Duke is one of the top programs in the country, but how difficult is it to match there?

Members don't see this ad.

Have expressed my feelings in another post, but bottom line is that I love the program. In terms of matching...our PD mentioned that we received >4000 apps. this year which is about average. As w/ most things, I think getting the interview is probably tough. After that, I think it's more a matter of "fit" between applicant and program. Glad to talk further if you want to PM me.

I interviewed there and I really liked. The PD and chairman were very nice. All the residents apparently love to be there.
Good luck,
Helops

Do a search for some previous posts and you'll get some great detailed replies from Art Vandelay, Carol Ann, and myself. To sum things up though, Duke definitely used to be a very malignant place, but with the advent of the 80-hour rule and a new program director a few years back things have changed entirely. Now it's a very friendly and supportive program that affords a phenomenal degree of autonomy to interns and residents, coupled with top-notch teaching, an extremely diverse patient population, and a rigorous curriculum that produces outstandingly competent internists who match very well in the fellowship match. I've been very pleased and amazed at how reasonable the intern year has been, and am continually impressed at the brilliance of the residents and chiefs. I also love how we have no "private patients," and there's no special treatment. Everyone gets top-notch care, whether they're uninsured, have medicare, or a million bucks.

I hope helps. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions that you may have as well.