SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Duke

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Christiangirl, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Christiangirl

Christiangirl Banned Banned

Dec 25, 2000
    Did anyone send in a secondary in either late November or December and hear anything yet? Also, if you are not granted an interview do they send you a rejection letter right then or wait until February?

Finally, what did anyone think of the school who did interview there?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. omores

omores sleep deprived 10+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Seattle
    My app was complete in early October, and I only just got an interview invitation. They told me they moved their admissions office and got backlogged...

4. Hercules

Hercules Son of Zeus 10+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Mobile, AL
    They send out rejection letters before Feb. I got one a couple of weeks ago after sending in my secondary.

------------------
    Hercules

But there is also a time for sleeping.
    -Odysseus in the Odyssey 11.330-331

5. Christiangirl

Christiangirl Banned Banned

Dec 25, 2000
    Sorry to hear that Hercules. May I ask one more question of you? How long after sending in your secondary did you hear something? Also, am I to understand that rejections are letters and interview invites are postcards? Thanks and sorry about the rejection. But I believe you have already gotten in some great schools, if my memory serves me correctly. [​IMG] Best wishes.

6. jimi

jimi Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2000
    CA
    My application was complete 8/18 and I was invited to an interview 9/16. It actually was just a postcard. But since I was trying to schedule all of my east coast interviews together I didn't schedule it until early november. I'm not sure when they are supposed to get back to me.

The school and the students were definitely top notch. However, I got the impression that the program is designed especially to meet the needs of MD/PhD students (with the extra year reserved for research).

Also, all of the other applicants on the day of my interview were MD/PhD applicants. So who knows? Everyone seemed extremely nice though! Their facilities are beautiful and the students are very well rounded.

The location is very suburban (maybe even rural...I don't know). But it was beautiful. It reminded me of Florida for some reason.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

7. pctuab

pctuab New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Jimi, I was wondering, what did you get on my MCAT?, and what was your GPA? (if you don't mind my asking). You are the only guy I have seen on these boards that has been getting any action from Harvard, and I was wondering if they were using any sort of elevated cutoff this year for determining interview candidates.

Thanks for any info.

p.

8. Hercules

Hercules Son of Zeus 10+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Mobile, AL
    I can't remember exact dates, but I'll try to give you some estimates. I think my secondary check to Duke cleared mid-September, and I got my rejection letter in the beginning of December. I did get a letter, so I guess (based on what Jimi said) rejections are letters and postcards are invites.

------------------
    Hercules

But there is also a time for sleeping.
    -Odysseus in the Odyssey 11.330-331

9. jimi

jimi Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2000
    CA
    pctuab,

I have my stats and other info posted in the "hopkins anyone?" topic. I'm really not sure what Harvard's standards are for interview invites.

They don't have rolling admissions so I have no idea what my chances are until early March. But if I remember correctly from usnews.com they interview over 1000 applicants so I don't think they use a rigid stats cut-off. Frankly I don't think I would have made it if they did. I did not get an interview at UC San Diego (the only UC that did not invite me.) So I'm thinking they may be using a strict number cut-off.

Anyway, good luck!

10. lilycat

lilycat Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2000
    ???
    Actually, UCSD uses a number cut-off for secondary, but not for interview...

11. mvalento

mvalento Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 15, 2000
    chicago, IL
    i was not impressed with duke, to be honest. students (that i met) seemed a little, eh, removed from normal society- of course, i only met a few. but i did not like their seemingly overwhelming emphasis on research, which i'm really not into. anyway- nice location, beautiful campus, all that stuff...

12. Dodge This

Dodge This Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2001
    I sent in my secondary the 3rd week of September and my advising office sent my packet of letters by the middle of October. I haven't heard anything from them. Hopefully something will be in my mailbox at school when I get back there in a few days...