1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Duke's $$$$$ Deposit

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jalan2, Aug 15, 2002.

1. jalan2

jalan2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Some of you might have noticed this in their secondary-- Duke asks non-US citizens to agree to the following terms. Basically we have to make a payment/"deposit" ... "at least equal to the school's approved unmarried first year student budget for the applicable program of study (medical or allied health)". When? "No later than forty-five days prior to the beginning date of classes to guarantee enrollment in the fall semester for the first year student. Another deposit shall be required no later than the ninety days prior to the beginning of classes for each subsequent year of enrollment until graduation."

I'm a US permanent resident, and this thing really freaks me out!!! If you need loan(s) to go to med school, do they (the lenders) lend you the money as a lump sum in advance?

Are there any non-US Citizen Duke med student out there that can share with me how they pull this thing off? Thanks!

---------------------------------
    Each non-U.S. citizen accepted for enrollment in the Duke University School of Medicine or a Duke Medical Center Allied Health Program shall make, or cause to be made, a payment, hereafter called a deposit, to the Office of the Bursar for the purpose of ensuring financial ability to meet the full year's educational costs in advance of matriculation.
    The deposit shall be received by the Office of the Bursar no later than forty-five days prior to the beginning date of classes to guarantee enrollment in the fall semester for the first year student. Another deposit shall be required no later than the ninety days prior to the beginning of classes for each subsequent year of enrollment until graduation.

The full deposit shall be credited to the student's ledger in the Office of the Bursar.

The amount of the deposit shall be at least equal to the school's approved unmarried first year student budget for the applicable program of study (medical or allied health); subsequent deposits shall be in the amount of the then current school-approved budget for the applicable year and program of study.

Failure to meet the deadline for deposit shall result in forfeiture of the accepted or matriculated student's reserved placement in classes.

During the period for which the deposit has been made, the Bursar shall make withdrawls by the due date set by the institution in the amount of tuition and fees owed the University. The amount of such withdrawls shall be the same as that charged to other students in a similar program of study for the applicable class year.

At the beginning of each semester, the Office of the Bursar shall prepare a check from the deposit to the student for living and other necessary education expenses. The amount of the check shall be based on a prorated sum from the living expense portion of the school's approved student budget.

In the event of withdrawl or termination of the student's enrollment for academic or other reasons, the Bursar shall issue a check for the full amount of the unused portion of the deposit. Such checks shall be made payable to the source which supplied the deposit. The amount of the check shall be prorated if the deposit was supplied from more than one source. Any income resulting from investment of the deposit until appropriate portions of the deposit are used or needed for educational purposes of the student shall belong to Duke University for management of the account.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    :eek:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

If you are a PR, you don't need to worry about this. --Trek

4. jalan2

jalan2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

At first that's what I thought, but it clearly says there "each non-US citizen". Since Permanent Residents are not Citizens, it should apply. Sad.

5. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

Taking loan 90 days earlier or later -- there is no difference for me. School usually would ask for a year tuition up front. Some of them, John Hopkins) would ask for 100% tuition for 4 years.

6. jot

jot

perm residents definately don't have to worry about this as trek said - i'm not a us citizen (kenyan) for another month, so i've checked this stuff out