Dumb application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickjohnson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, this is gonna be a horribly dumb question, but I can't contact AAMC right now and I'd really like to fill out the applicaction correctly. I'm filling out my university courses and I'm not exactly sure what they want me to fill in for Course Name and Course Number. For example on my transcripts, my first year courses will look like this:

Course Description Grade
BIOL 102 INTRO BIOL OF CELLS ##
CHEM 116 GENERAL CHEMISTRY I ##
etc.

So I'm not sure if the course name is BIOL or INTRO BIOL OF CELLS and if the course number is 102 or BIOL 102.

Please help! thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, this is gonna be a horribly dumb question, but I can't contact AAMC right now and I'd really like to fill out the applicaction correctly. I'm filling out my university courses and I'm not exactly sure what they want me to fill in for Course Name and Course Number. For example on my transcripts, my first year courses will look like this:

Course Description Grade
BIOL 102 INTRO BIOL OF CELLS ##
CHEM 116 GENERAL CHEMISTRY I ##
etc.

So I'm not sure if the course name is BIOL or INTRO BIOL OF CELLS and if the course number is 102 or BIOL 102.

Please help! thanks

Course number would be "BIOL 102," and course name would be "INTRO BIOL OF CELLS." AMCAS also won't hold it against you if you write out "Introduction to the Biology of Cells" to be more clear.

However, unless you're filling this out in preparation for next year, you're really late in submitting your primary application.

Ok great thanks, but how is this late? I'm getting this in before the deadline, and for a couple schools a full month early. I'm a canadian student and only a couple weeks ago just researched into coming to the states for medicine. So I don't know the process too well. So it would be great to know why this is late.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok great thanks, but how is this late? I'm getting this in before the deadline, and for a couple schools a full month early. I'm a canadian student and only a couple weeks ago just researched into coming to the states for medicine. So I don't know the process too well. So it would be great to know why this is late.

Most American med schools have rolling admissions, and the schools have been accepting applications since June/July. Unless you have a really strong app, you might be better off waiting to apply early next year.

It comes down to statistics. By submitting on the last possible date, everyone submitted before you. By submitting before you, they've completed their files before you. By completing their files before you, they've been eligible to receive interviews before you. Interview invite slots don't last forever, so you're doing yourself a disservice by applying on the last possible day. Don't take this the wrong way, though. You can absolutely still get interviews, and you very well may be accepted. But by applying late, you've simply lowered your chances.

EDIT: My post count totally spells l337!

Well I wish that was brought to my attention before I completed a full application.. :( I suppose besides the fee there aren't really any reasons not to hit the submit button at this point are there? I'm just asking because you said I should wait until next year.

EDIT: congratulations

Well I wish that was brought to my attention before I completed a full application.. :( I suppose besides the fee there aren't really any reasons not to hit the submit button at this point are there? I'm just asking because you said I should wait until next year.

EDIT: congratulations

IF you do not get in this year, (I am not saying you will not, but if...), then next year the schools will ask you if you are a reapplicant, and what have you done to become a better applicant etc..

Well I wish that was brought to my attention before I completed a full application..

One thing I've learned from this process, is that if you want something, you have to be proactive to go out there and get it. Dont expect things to fall into your lap.

In addition to being late in the cycle, as several have mentioned, being a Canadian applicant also makes things more difficult. By waiting a year, and applying early next year, you improve your chances to get into the schools that you really, really want to get into. Sure, you may be able to get accepted this cycle, but it will be more difficult, and if you are trying to get into the more prestigious schools, I personally wouldn't want to make it more difficult on myself.

Quick question, when does the Canadian application cycle start / finish? When do most people apply for that?

Well it's not rolling applications in canada and there isn't a standard application service like AMCAS (except an ontario based application service), so all med schools have different deadlines. Some as early as september 1st and some as late as december 1st. No secondaries at all either from what I'm aware of.

I would only apply to Canadian schools with nonrolling admissions, then.

In the US once you submit your AMCAS application, assuming you don't get in, you will be a reapplicant. You will be asked if you improved your application which would mean more volunteer work, possibly taking more classes, working for a year off, etc. Its usually a combination of things. You'd benefit more from not applying than from saying "What the hell" and throwing money away and shooting yourself in the foot for next season.