Dumb question about applying for residency

Discussion in 'Allopathic' started by Kapooya, 01.15.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Kapooya

Kapooya 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey guys, I'm an M1 and I'm about as far concerned about the match and residency as you could possibly imagine…

However, I'm just curious if you need to have any specific documentation for the volunteering, etc that you will put on your CV.

I honestly know only very little about the process, but seeing as how I've started some volunteering I'm just wondering if you need to have any "proof" of it or whatever.

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Raryn

Raryn Infernal Internist Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    No proof necessary. They didn't even require you to list contact information for the orgs you volunteer for like they required for med school apps.

4. shenanigi

shenanigi 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You need to have a letter from the organization with a blood thumbprint from you and the coordinator.

gumdrops, mulberry, DermViser and 3 others like this.
  5. tco

tco 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I talked with the Duke PD (rads) a bit about what they look for in an applicant, after I was rejected. He said they don't even look at volunteer activities. I'd assume this is pretty normal...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

DermViser likes this.
  6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Lifetime Donor SDN Chief Administrator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    hSDN
    No documentation is required however, as noted above, extracurriculars are not considered nearly as important, if even considered at all, for residency purposes.

Of course someone will come on here and state that for emergency medicine they like to see volunteer clinic experience but this is generally excepted to be outside of the norm.

DermViser likes this.
  7. SouthernSurgeon

SouthernSurgeon Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    I really tried to look at folks' extracurriculars this year when I was interviewing. The ERAS application is so dense it is really hard. My eyes were glazing over by the time I got to them, and they usually take up like 4-5 pages...

8. Raryn

Raryn Infernal Internist Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Funny enough, the part of your application the most number of people read was the little box at the very end that says "hobbies and interests." Had a number of interviewers want to chat about things I had put there.

9. PHellmuth

PHellmuth Member 7+ Year Member

Nope no documentation was needed, anything within reason would have been fine to put on there

10. VisionaryTics

VisionaryTics Señor Member 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Little did I know that the two minutes I spent on that box would dictate 95% of the discussion in my interviews.

11. mcloaf

mcloaf 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So for someone interested in surgery I'm not shooting myself in the foot by not taking on a bunch of resume padding volunteer/club leadership positions that my classmates are wrestling over? I've already gotten involved in clinical research and plan to continue that, also considering a research year. If I end up applying with good scores/clinical grades/letters/research and none of the preclinical diversions I'll come out ok? I'm from the West coast, going to school at a big academic center in the midwest, and hope to match back to academics somewhere on the Pacific.

Sorry for the thread hijack, trying not to clog the forum with neurotic M1's matching questions.

12. mvenus929

mvenus929 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, you should be fine. If you're interested in doing some sort of project, then go for it, but don't do it just to pad your resume.

13. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Lifetime Donor SDN Chief Administrator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    hSDN
    ECs are fine if you are honestly interested in them but for Surgery they are not conventionally considered required.

14. Doctor Bob

Doctor Bob EM/CC 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Verified
    Air Force
    Nah, volunteer clinic experience is pretty worthless for us also. I mean, it's something to talk about at interviews, but it's not even on our point sheet.

15. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    hSDN
    Thanks for the input.

I recall in a previous thread where I was "corrected" by someone applying to/in EM (can't recall at this point) that volunteer/community experience was *definitely* valuable.

So there you have it folks: don't waste your time at the free clinic, saving lives in Africa or any other pre-med ECs because they aren't important for residency applications.

tco likes this.
  16. Lavan

Lavan 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This was also my experience. And they were essentially the only interesting things I ever discussed.

17. LostinLift

LostinLift 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are any ECs looked upon favorably for Surgical sub specialties? In terms of applying to strong research institutions that want to produce leaders in the field and academic physicians, is there anything that's important other than LOR, aways, research, great grades, and scores?

18. SouthernSurgeon

SouthernSurgeon Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Unless it is something really amazing or unique (ex: former olympic gold medalist), the short answer is really no.

DermViser and Winged Scapula like this.
  19. LostinLift

LostinLift 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well then, I'll just let my bronze medals continue to collect dust. Thanks for the advice, looks like I will focus on performing research!

DermViser and Winged Scapula like this.
  20. dextor2003

dextor2003 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Does it make a difference what specialty you're talking about? For instance, do PDs in IM/peds/psych favor them more in general than those in surgery? Or do extracurriculars pretty much have no value for all specialties?

21. mvenus929

mvenus929 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I personally have found them useful for fodder in peds interviews. I've brought up my ECs multiple times during my interviews (or had them brought up by my interviewer). But part of my career goals are based on what I did in the community (I'm looking for a program with strong community outreach opportunities), so that supports that aspect of my application.

22. Geekchick921

Geekchick921 Achievement Unlocked: MD Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Thank God. This thread makes me feel better about not doing a ton of ECs in medical school like I always did in the past. I have a leadership position from the one group I was involved with but other than that I just have non-leadership status in some interest groups and that's about it.

DermViser likes this.
  23. synecdoche

synecdoche 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Another neurotic M1 question, my apologies (didn't want to start a new thread for it): on ERAS, are volunteer activities all listed separately, like on AMCAS? Or can you lump together a few different free clinics/organizations under the same item? I've participated in a few of these, and while the number of hours devoted to each individually is not very significant, the collective total is.

edited for clarity - I don't mean lumping together ALL volunteerism, but rather similarly-themed activities like assisting in a free clinic for an underserved population. My school has 5 or 6 of these.

Last edited: 03.07.14
  24. DermViser

DermViser 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How could you not know that? The rest of the stuff is a complete CV rehash. At least with Hobbies and Interests, the faculty member can somehow feign interest and "personalize" the interview, so you rank them high enough.

Winged Scapula likes this.
  25. tco

tco 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would just put ? marks. One interview I had, ERAS got messed up somehow and every interviewer only had ?'s for all of my hobbies/interests. That was the easiest interview I had. Finally, at the end, one of my questions was, "Why has everyone been asking me what I like to do for fun?" The interviewer showed me their printout and everything was "? - ? - ? - ?"

About the ads