dumb question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vietcongs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what happens if you dont pass USMLE? How many times can you retake before they tell your ******* that you cant become a doctor? how often do they give the test? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

The USMLE doesn't set a limit on the number of times you can take the Step 1, but your local and state medical boards may as well as your medical school. In New York State the limit is three or five attempts and at SUNY Downstate, the limit is three.

The exam is now administered by appointment through Prometric, which absorbed Sylvan Learning Centers, so it's given year-round. However a student cannot take the Step 1 until 60 days after the last attempt.

Like Tim said, the number of times depends on which state your are applying for licensure in. I've heard that Alaska only allows one attempt at passing, while California has no limit.

CA doesn't have a limit? My gosh. More fuel to the fire burning on how bright CA people are! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ******:
•CA doesn't have a limit? My gosh. More fuel to the fire burning on how bright CA people are! :)

Hey. I might take offense to that. Or should I? Maybe you're trying to say that Californians are smart by not imposing limits. :confused: Now I'm confused. Wait a minute ... this isn't reflecting well on us California people, is it? ;)

(Don't worry CA residents -- I was a New York resident when I applied to med school... ;) :D )

Originally posted by Stinky Tofu:
•Like Tim said, the number of times depends on which state your are applying for licensure in. I've heard that Alaska only allows one attempt at passing, while California has no limit.•

Just to refine some of Stinky's comments -- about 6 mos ago, KCOM had reps from both the NBME & NBOME come speak with us. Currently, for all 3 steps of both USMLE & COMLEX the retakes limits are set by the individual state licensing boards and they range from a minimum of 3 attempts to a max of 6 or 7. However, the Fed of State Med Lic Boards has recently adopted a recommendation, not binding as of yet, that all states adopt a common limit for all three steps of both exams. Furthermore, that both the NBME & NBOME felt that a limit of 3 would be wisest in the context of current medico-legal attitudes.

I hope this clarifies things sonewhat...

:D