1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

Dupuytren's contracture

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by organic, Mar 15, 2004.

1. organic

organic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Dear all,
    I am not sure if it is the best forum to ask my questions. If not, please redirect me to the most proper forum. THanks

I have a friend who started developping Dupuytren's contracture with both his hands. He was informed by doctors from Standford medical center that he will need surgery for correcting this problem.

Does anyone in the forum know any of the best, most experienced doctors in the US? Western coast or state of california is preferred.

Is this type of hereditary disease considered " pre-existing condition" and therefore the insurance wouldn't cover the cost?

Anyone knows the approximate cost of such procedure without insurance coverage?

thanks

2. 17shakespeare

17shakespeare Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi organic,
    There might be some people who can better help you, being as I'm not yet in med school, but I used to work with a hand surgeon in the US, and saw Dupuytren's contracture frequently. Any hand surgeon would be good at this, this is a very common procedure. I know of some good ones in the midwest, but it seems silly to travel for this to be done, most hand surgeons would be good. The surgery involves making a z-line incision in the hand to get into the tendon aponeurosis and cut out the contracture. Your friend would need a big bandage around his hand for probably a week to two, and after two weeks, the stitches are taken out. He would probably need to wait at least a month or two (most likely even 6) to have the other hand done, since no hand surgeon would want a patient to have limited use in both hands unless necessary. Byt the way, the anesthetic used is a local block (usually a Beir Block) with a tourniquet used to limit the bleeding.
    Although Dupuytren's contracture is a hereditary thing, insurance companies will pay (as long as you proceed the way they request, such as getting referrals if necessary). This is not considered a pre-exsisting condition, in fact, it doesnt actually appear until the 50-60s for most people. I dont know the approximate cost, b/c the hospital has their own costs for OR time, etc., but I would say about $2000-3000 for a surgery sounds about right.
    Hope this helps.

3. OP
    OP
    organic

organic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for your detailed reply. :) I really appreciated it.