Duration of Audition Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbie04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the duration of an audition rotation bear any weight in terms of ranking (other than "face time" with the attending and residents)?

I plan on doing a 4 week PM&R rotation and a 2 week subspecialty rotation (TBI) at two different programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Does the duration of an audition rotation bear any weight in terms of ranking (other than "face time" with the attending and residents)?

I plan on doing a 4 week PM&R rotation and a 2 week subspecialty rotation (TBI) at two different programs.

If you are rotating to increase you competitiveness, you need to get a letter of rec from a faculty member at the program you rotate at. Most rotations only get you memorable face time with a few select faculty members and likely only those few may remember in Feb when it is time to rank you.

At my program, red flags usually go up if someone rotates and does not get a letter of rec while there. With this in mind it is hard to get to know someone (ie. find someone willing to write a good letter of rec) in 2 weeks.

Absolutely!

That is plenty.

Like eljefe said, ask for a LOR from someone at each program. If you can find out who normally interviews with those particular programs, make sure you get to know them too. Offer to do a presentation or two.

But basically just worry about working hard, don't complain about anything, and just show you're really interested in PM&R.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? a red-flag for not getting a LOR. I am not sure about that, but I never sat on the admissions committee. However I would NOT think that this would be so heavily weighted. Yes it is important to get a LOR from programs:

- most improtantly is that the person you are asking will write you a good letter, they liked your work, you spent most your month with them gives them a better chance to get to know you & write you a letter

- particularly if that person is highly recognized by other in the specialty.
- an esteemed faculty member at the program you are rotating (i.e. dir of neurorehab/ program dir./ dept chair/ fellowship dir.)

- if you already have letters that are great or from very highly respected faculty I don't see why not getting a letter would be a red flag. How LORs does one really need??:confused:

At my program, red flags usually go up if someone rotates and does not get a letter of rec while there. With this in mind it is hard to get to know someone (ie. find someone willing to write a good letter of rec) in 2 weeks.

Seriously? a red-flag for not getting a LOR. I am not sure about that, but I never sat on the admissions committee. However I would NOT think that this would be so heavily weighted. Yes it is important to get a LOR from programs:

- most improtantly is that the person you are asking will write you a good letter, they liked your work, you spent most your month with them gives them a better chance to get to know you & write you a letter

- particularly if that person is highly recognized by other in the specialty.
- an esteemed faculty member at the program you are rotating (i.e. dir of neurorehab/ program dir./ dept chair/ fellowship dir.)

- if you already have letters that are great or from very highly respected faculty I don't see why not getting a letter would be a red flag. How LORs does one really need??:confused:

'Red flag' may have been too strong, but questions arise about why there isn't a letter from the program after a month rotation...

The med students that shine usually have no problem getting a letter from someone, those that screw around or don't make a great impression may be reluctant to ask for a letter... We have quite a few rotators and frequently it is hard to remember everyone when ranking in Feb. So, if no letter from the program and only vague memories of the med student...you get the picture.

If someone had two PM&R rotations, both one month, and did not have letters of rec. from each month, I would want to know why. Maybe not a 'red' flag, but definitely a warning flag.

Even if there is a corresponding glowing recommendation. And I was on the admissions committee for a year.