Duration of CCM training after IM subspecialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Youngkr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to ask for opinions and insight on this matter.

Currently, I am an ID fellow and applied for CCM only fellowship this year and I thought it was going to be 1 year of extra training.
Recently I went for an interview and learned that the program ask for 2 year commitment for all candidates except for someone with Cardiology or Pulmonology background.
Their reasoning was that 1 year is not enough to be competent in current ICU standard care and all the necessary procedures (bronch, echo etc).
The candidates I met there also told me that some other places he knows (Mt Sinai, Mayo etc) also offers 2 year training only.
I guess I should have contacted each programs about their requirement, since this came to me as a bit of surprise. Still I am planning to go for it, even though it's 1 more year of training than I expected, I'll be better prepared in the end.

So I guess my questions are
1. Asking for 2 yr commitment for everybody is reasonable?
2. Are there programs still offer 1 year training?
3. Any other comments or opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Another one joins the club! Welcome!
I'm glad!

1 year for Ccm is still available in some programs, but others struggle to meet 50 bronchs requirement( that is supposed to be waived or in the process of) needed for board eligibility and opt to offer 2 years or giving preference to someone with Pulm training for 1 year spots.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Another thing to consider is if you like pulmonary, doing the whole thing like I did( I ended up loving this side), only if you like it, otherwise NOT recommended!

Members don't see this ad :)
Another thing to consider is if you like pulmonary, doing the whole thing like I did( I ended up loving this side), only if you like it, otherwise NOT recommended!

Hi! thank you for the reply. Sounds like 1 year training is available but somewhat limited. I am not really interested in Pulm part. I would like to continue doing some ID in future practice.

You don't want to go out there with half assed skills. ID fellowships give you a knowledge base but no skills. 2 years is probably appropriate post ID fellowship.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't do a 2 year fellowship. My background is EM, so I have to do 2 years - but, you shouldn't give up an extra year of indentured servitude.

If you can only find a 2 year program, I'd consider doing a 3 year PCCM fellowship.

I have mixed feelings regarding this, so I'll (respectfully) disagree with TimesNewRoman. You're 2 years removed from IM residency in a non-procedural specialty with no ICU time. IM residency can vary regarding it's critical care exposure as well (as little as 3 months at some places in 3 years). I understand the rationale for 2 years of training, as you will have to catch up regarding both procedures and get your feet under you again in the unit. It certainly doesn't mean it can't be done in one year, but I personally wouldn't throw out programs that are 2 years in length to maximize your training taking care of the sickest of the sick. Just my two cents, for whatever that is worth.

Reactions: 2 users
UPMC will accept 1-yr fellows (as opposed to many of of the other strong programs) after having completed another fellowship. They had ID- and Nephro-trained folks in the past few years

Reactions: 1 user
UPMC will accept 1-yr fellows (as opposed to many of of the other strong programs) after having completed another fellowship. They had ID- and Nephro-trained folks in the past few years

Are you referring to the UPMC Department of Critical Care or are you referring to the critical care portion of the PCCM fellowship?

I don't think the CCM program will let an IM-trained doc -- even with prior fellowship training in another field -- complete only one of the two years of the CCM fellowship.

Perhaps PCCM would allow this.

HH

Are you referring to the UPMC Department of Critical Care or are you referring to the critical care portion of the PCCM fellowship?

I don't think the CCM program will let an IM-trained doc -- even with prior fellowship training in another field -- complete only one of the two years of the CCM fellowship.

HH

If that IM trained guy has extra 2 years or another qualifying fellowship, yes they will.

HH
Straight CCM

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting. Perhaps this is something new.

Is this what they are saying -- or are there examples?

AFAIK, that has never been the case.

HH

This is not something new. From the ABIM website:"The ACGME accredits three types of fellowship programs in critical care medicine: 1) Two-year critical care medicine programs (for internal medicine graduates); 2) One-year critical care medicine programs (for subspecialty program graduates); and, 3) Combined pulmonary and critical care medicine programs."

Interesting. Perhaps this is something new.

Is this what they are saying -- or are there examples?

AFAIK, that has never been the case.

HH

Yea, this has been the policy since at least the past 7-8 years.

This is not something new. From the ABIM website:"The ACGME accredits three types of fellowship programs in critical care medicine: 1) Two-year critical care medicine programs (for internal medicine graduates); 2) One-year critical care medicine programs (for subspecialty program graduates); and, 3) Combined pulmonary and critical care medicine programs."

Yes, I know this is the ABIM policy for some time and that many programs follow it.

What I was surprised to hear is that the UPMC Department of CCM (which is different than the UPMC Department of IM, which oversees the PCCM fellowship) was allowing IM fellows to do this.

HH