DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
The Edge. Pushing the Envelope
Status
Attending Physician
I shadowed a D.O. last summer for approx six weeks.... ( 3 days a week) . Is this about average for people who shadow docs? Im asking because I didnt get to shadow him this summer due to various reasons, 1 being I volunteered/observed in an OR. I am applying next june but im hoping that the six weeks I did shadow the DO will be sufficient enough for an LOR from him..... Should I try to shadow another one, or will this cut it....?

ps I have shadowed 1 DO and 2 MD's if that helps

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
dIvErDoC said:
I shadowed a D.O. last summer for approx six weeks.... ( 3 days a week) . Is this about average for people who shadow docs? Im asking because I didnt get to shadow him this summer due to various reasons, 1 being I volunteered/observed in an OR. I am applying next june but im hoping that the six weeks I did shadow the DO will be sufficient enough for an LOR from him..... Should I try to shadow another one, or will this cut it....?

ps I have shadowed 1 DO and 2 MD's if that helps
If you volunteered in a clinical setting I say you are good with the shadowing. If you haven't, it all comes down to overall hours. The number of hours is probably more important than the actual span of time the shadowing occured over.

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status
Hardbody said:
If you volunteered in a clinical setting I say you are good with the shadowing. If you haven't, it all comes down to overall hours. The number of hours is probably more important than the actual span of time the shadowing occured over.
So how many hours of shadowing/clinical experience do schools look for?

About the Ads

iowahawk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I only was able to shadow a DO for one day for five hourse because I had a job (molecular research). I have lots of clinical experience, volunteering, and research so it all depends on what your other EC's look like

mconnell

10+ Year Member
May 13, 2006
California
Status
Other Health Professions Student
I work full time as a nurse and will be shadowing multiple doctors in the months to come. Will this be sufficient enough? What about other EC's, what will I want in addition to my job and shadowing?

TerpDO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Brooklyn
Status
Resident [Any Field]
mconnell said:
I work full time as a nurse and will be shadowing multiple doctors in the months to come. Will this be sufficient enough? What about other EC's, what will I want in addition to my job and shadowing?
Please let me know if I am wrong but I think that the point of shadowing doctors in general is to give yourself an opportunity to see if this is what you want to do as a lifelong career. And more specifically shadowing D.O.'s is important for a slightly different reason in that there are a lot fewer D.O.'s in the U.S. and admissions people want to see if you sufficiently know the difference between a M.D. and a D.O.

With that being said if you already have a career in healthcare (as a nurse) working directly alongside doctors I think that any amount of shadowing, no matter how minimal will suffice, (more bonus to you if it is a D.O.). For a lot of people who may have had paying or volunteer positions working with physicians, I think some shadowing will be beneficial, but it is only CRUCIAL to have lots of strict shadowing time if you do not have any clinical experience elsewhere in your past.

I hope this helps, I am not trying to downplay the importance of shadowing but for those applicants who have worked directly with doctors (and patients) in the past it may be wiser to focus more attention to other aspects of your application, i.e. grades, GPA, MCAT scores, etc. If you are confident that you want to be a doctor and know exactly what being a doctor involves then following them around just to get up your "shadowing" hours may hurt you in that it takes time away from improving other aspects of your application.

This is just my personal advice so please don't take it if you don't agree with it completely. When all else fails just do the most of the activity you personally feel that will get you EXCITED and PREPARED for medical school. You will need all that enthusiasm and energy to get through all those darn secondaries.

:thumbup: I hope this helps.

Gmw1386

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2005
Long Island, NY
www.c-wod.com
Status
Pre-Medical
So far my shadowing resume consists of a PA (dermatology practice), othropedist (MD) and a podiatrist. Still trying for the elusive DO. But I guess this is good in case for some reason I ever change my mind, which I don't see happening, and they're all still medical professionals so that's gotta count for something. (LOR from all of them)

I don't really keep a record of the hours I spend. Probably about 3-5 hours each time I go. This fall I'm going to be shadowing in the ER of the local hospital for my school internship. I'm hoping I can find a DO there that I can consistenly shadow. Then in the spring I'll be spending two credits worth of time shadowing other field. I'm thinking IM/Cardio and I'm not sure what to do with the last credit.

I don't really know if the number of hours matters that much. I've never heard of a time minimum. I have heard that people applying to PA school need a certain amount of shadowing hours. As far as I'm concerned I need to do shadowing for the LOR.

Oh, and I also have a personal rule of not asking for a letter of recomendation until after the third time I've shadowed them. I want the doctor to have an idea of who I am so that the letter is more personal.

About the Ads