During what month and year of college do most people start applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

screwedpremed88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During what year of undergrad and month do most people start applying to medical school if they want to go straight into med school after their undergraduate education? What is considered the early cycle? I hear people say that if you apply earlier you have a better chance. Also by when when should you have taken your MCAT? Do you take your MCAT as a sophomore or junior?

Members don't see this ad.

You apply the summer before your senior year; the earlier the better. You typically take the MCAT in the months preceding this.

The new version of AMCAS (the application you need to use to apply) usually becomes available in Mid-May, so at the end of your junior year, you'll want to fill it out and then submit it during the following June. Secondary applications usually become available in July and August, and you'll want to get those done as early as possible during that summer before your senior year.

For the MCAT, I recommend taking it as soon as you've finished your pre-req classes. For me, this was the summer after my sophomore year. It was really great to get it out of the way early, and I definitely recommend it.