Dwight Shrute: Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Punchap

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
No seriously, I have a question (pardon me if it has been answered before).

I am scheduled to take the June 15th MCAT in order to apply early to D.O. schools only. Due to some family problems, I haven't been able to dedicate a lot of time to MCAT study (I've been doing it independently with ExamKrackers). Essentially, most of my studying time would be three weeks prior to the exam. Do you think I should reschedule for July 24th and dedicate more time to this and just submit my MCAT scores later? Will submitting everything in August as opposed to July put me at a disadvantage? I am speaking particularly about D.O. schools with rolling admissions. FYI: my stats aren't all that (gpa: 3.4; loads of ec's; good lors).

Thanks for any helpful advice!

Punchap

Members don't see this ad.

The bottom line is that if you are not ready for the Test, then don't take it yet. You don't want to have to explain a low score. If you take the later test, you could already have submitted your application, LOR's, etc. so the schools are only waiting on the scores.

Have you tried taking AAMC 3 to see where you stand? If your VR is alright and the sciences are lacking, I think it's realistic to pull up your PS and BS by something like 2 points over 3 weeks, maybe 3 if you really crack down on it. This of course suggests that you have good test-taking skills and it's just the scientific background that's lacking. So then if you take AAMC 3 now and get a 24 or more, *I* think you would be ok with meeting DO requirements. I mean, their average on the AACOM website is like 25 for the entering class, so you should be fine if you can score 28 or so (you want to score a little higher than the matriculant average to compensate for your GPA, which is slightly lower than the average).

No seriously, I have a question (pardon me if it has been answered before).

I am scheduled to take the June 15th MCAT in order to apply early to D.O. schools only. Due to some family problems, I haven't been able to dedicate a lot of time to MCAT study (I've been doing it independently with ExamKrackers). Essentially, most of my studying time would be three weeks prior to the exam. Do you think I should reschedule for July 24th and dedicate more time to this and just submit my MCAT scores later? Will submitting everything in August as opposed to July put me at a disadvantage? I am speaking particularly about D.O. schools with rolling admissions. FYI: my stats aren't all that (gpa: 3.4; loads of ec's; good lors).

Thanks for any helpful advice!

Punchap
I think you should take it later when you are more prepared. You definitely want to give it your best shot. Don't take it earlier and regret doing so. Even though your app may be a little later than the early birds, a higher mcat score will be worth it. Don't sell yourself short and don't settle for less.