Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Dwight Shrute: Question

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Punchap, Apr 30, 2007.

  1. Punchap

    Punchap Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    Mar 4, 2003
    No seriously, I have a question (pardon me if it has been answered before).

    I am scheduled to take the June 15th MCAT in order to apply early to D.O. schools only. Due to some family problems, I haven't been able to dedicate a lot of time to MCAT study (I've been doing it independently with ExamKrackers). Essentially, most of my studying time would be three weeks prior to the exam. Do you think I should reschedule for July 24th and dedicate more time to this and just submit my MCAT scores later? Will submitting everything in August as opposed to July put me at a disadvantage? I am speaking particularly about D.O. schools with rolling admissions. FYI: my stats aren't all that (gpa: 3.4; loads of ec's; good lors).

    Thanks for any helpful advice!

  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Johnny_D

    Johnny_D Just strummin' away 5+ Year Member

    Nov 1, 2004
    The bottom line is that if you are not ready for the Test, then don't take it yet. You don't want to have to explain a low score. If you take the later test, you could already have submitted your application, LOR's, etc. so the schools are only waiting on the scores.
  4. Punchap

    Punchap Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    Mar 4, 2003
    Anyone else in a similar situation?
  5. jochi1543

    jochi1543 President, Gunner Central 2+ Year Member

    Apr 4, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Have you tried taking AAMC 3 to see where you stand? If your VR is alright and the sciences are lacking, I think it's realistic to pull up your PS and BS by something like 2 points over 3 weeks, maybe 3 if you really crack down on it. This of course suggests that you have good test-taking skills and it's just the scientific background that's lacking. So then if you take AAMC 3 now and get a 24 or more, *I* think you would be ok with meeting DO requirements. I mean, their average on the AACOM website is like 25 for the entering class, so you should be fine if you can score 28 or so (you want to score a little higher than the matriculant average to compensate for your GPA, which is slightly lower than the average).
  6. Funky

    Funky This space is for sale 10+ Year Member

    Feb 15, 2006
    I think you should take it later when you are more prepared. You definitely want to give it your best shot. Don't take it earlier and regret doing so. Even though your app may be a little later than the early birds, a higher mcat score will be worth it. Don't sell yourself short and don't settle for less.

Share This Page