username456789

7+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
What's everyone's opinion on nailing down/remembering specific diagnostic tests or treatments for certain diseases when it's not explicitly mentioned in FA. Obviously we're not expected to know how to treat every single disease, but where would you draw the line?

For instance, with Rheumatic Fever, I don't believe FA mentions anything about ASO/Anti-DNAseB, or how to treat (I think we learned ASA +/- corticosteroids if carditis is present).

Just curious.

Edit: Actually I don't have FA sitting right by me, but I'm guessing ASO probably comes up in the Micro section . . .

kryptik

10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Personally i pay attention to unique treatments and treatments for common diseases. Also pay attention to conditions that are self resolving.

Dec 9, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What's everyone's opinion on nailing down/remembering specific diagnostic tests or treatments for certain diseases when it's not explicitly mentioned in FA. Obviously we're not expected to know how to treat every single disease, but where would you draw the line?

For instance, with Rheumatic Fever, I don't believe FA mentions anything about ASO/Anti-DNAseB, or how to treat (I think we learned ASA +/- corticosteroids if carditis is present).

Just curious.

Edit: Actually I don't have FA sitting right by me, but I'm guessing ASO probably comes up in the Micro section . . .
You need to know some specific tests for many of the common diseases. There is no question about that. Step 1 is not likely to ask you, "What is the correct test to order?" Instead, it will give you test results to interpret. You need to know that anti-dsDNA is extremely specific for SLE and use that information to answer the question. But they don't ask the questions the other way around.

Treatment is hardly tested on Step 1. You (maybe) learn how to treat disease in your clinical years, but even still, Step 2CK is mostly about diagnosis and not about treatment.

If you learn any treatments or interventions for Step 1, I would know what NOT to do. For example, you don't give ASA to a kid with varicella infection.

Spend your time recognizing patterns of disease and disease associations. Treatment is extremely low priority.