Program-Specific Info / Q's D'youville Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otto24

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just received my acceptance letter for dyouville for fall 2019 OT program. I was reaching out to see if anyone else got accepted/will be attending in the fall! I would like to get to know some people as soon as possible!

Members don't see this ad.

I also got accepted and most likely attending. I'm still waiting to hear back from schools, I just dream of getting into haha ;)

Hey I also got accepted but i'm not sure if i'll be attending yet. Still waiting to hear back from other schools

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted, just waiting on my letter! Excited to meet everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
I've been accepted! But just trying to make a final decision. I read on the acceptance letter that it's on a first come first serve basis... so the first "x" amount of students to pay the deposit make up the class. I found that a little odd, but it was my first encounter so I am not sure if that is normal or not. I also saw on the acceptance letter that a graduate level stats course is required, which makes me nervous.

I paid my deposit and I’m just waiting to hear on what to do next! I also have to take the stats course but it’s a 1 credit seminar class that I’ve heard isn’t too bad. In the mean time I’m looking for places to live! I want to live off campus in a house or apartment I think. Just not sure where is a good location

Ok that first come, first serve thing is scary....so I just put down the deposit.

I currently live in the midwest and I don't know much about D'Youvilles campus itself. For those of you who are attending or thinking of attending, would you mind sharing what drew you to the program? I'm trying to decide between one other program, and not having been able to visit Buffalo is difficult. Any information will help.

Thanks!

I currently live in the midwest and I don't know much about D'Youvilles campus itself. For those of you who are attending or thinking of attending, would you mind sharing what drew you to the program? I'm trying to decide between one other program, and not having been able to visit Buffalo is difficult. Any information will help.

Thanks!
I'm interested in this program because it has a good NBCOT pass rate over the years (as high as NYU)
the OT I shadowed, graduated from DYC seemed to like it,
& the structure of the curriculum allows an opportunity for me to do lvl 2 fieldwork in the summer back home in NYC for me. The last perk is nice because I would like to work in the future back home and also I woud like to be back home.

Last edited:
I'm interested in this program because it has a good NBCOT pass rate over the years (as high as NYU)
the OT I shadowed graduated seemed to like it,
& the structure of the curriculum allows an opportunity for me to do lvl 2 fieldwork in the summer back home in NYC for me. The last perk is nice because I would like to work in the future back home and also I woud like to be back home.

Awesome, thank you!!

Thanks!
I visited the campus this past weekend! It’s very small, old but well kept and I find it cute. People I’ve heard from in the program now love it bc the classes are small so the professors really care about you and your goals of what you want to do as an OT. I also like it bc it’s 20-30 minutes from Niagara and there is a lot to do!! We also get the summer off which really made me choose this program so I can go home, take a break and regroup.

Do you guys think the "enrollment cap" thing was super weird? Is that normal? I'm still waiting to hear back from a school and not sure I am willing to make the move to Buffalo!

Anyone familiar with Buffalo? What do you know about D'Youville? Best places to live in Buffalo?

Do you guys think the "enrollment cap" thing was super weird? Is that normal? I'm still waiting to hear back from a school and not sure I am willing to make the move to Buffalo!

Anyone familiar with Buffalo? What do you know about D'Youville? Best places to live in Buffalo?
I’m looking at Canterbury court apartments! (Not 100% sure yet though) It’s 7 minutes from campus. Very spacious and up to date. I would need a roommate though if anyone is interested! It’s $575 a month per person plus cable/WiFi but all other expenses are included.

Members don't see this ad :)

I thought it was a little strange too! I've already put down a deposit somewhere else, but I'm still trying to decide whether that will change, since hearing from D'Youville. I am interested in hearing more about it too!

I asked about the acceptance deadline and the deposit. The admissions counselor said you have 30 days to make a deposit however, there is a chance that the seats can get filled up before your 30 days is up.

Anyone else scared of the winters? Lol that is what is mainly holding me back. Most people are trying to deter me just because it is so far away.

Any suggestions on winter clothing?? Haha

Prob some boots and jacket for the snow. My friend used to live there and they said it snows all the time. It's because of how Buffalo is in between two lakes.

Anyone else scared of the winters? Lol that is what is mainly holding me back. Most people are trying to deter me just because it is so far away.

Any suggestions on winter clothing?? Haha
The winters aren’t terrible. They definitely aren’t great but they’re tollerable. I live in Rochester so I’m used to it but I went to school at oswego where the winters were brutal but sorels and a down jacket keep you warm! It’s only when there’s a storm (only a few times) or heavy wind when it’s hard to be outside

Hi guys! Just put my deposit down, but not sure if i'll be attending. (Waiting to hear back from other schools) If anybody knows anything about the professors/ curriculum from current students at D'Youville please share!

I’m looking at Canterbury court apartments! (Not 100% sure yet though) It’s 7 minutes from campus. Very spacious and up to date. I would need a roommate though if anyone is interested! It’s $575 a month per person plus cable/WiFi but all other expenses are included.
Hi I am actually attending DYC and am from Buffalo so feel free to message me about towns and stuff to live in!!!

Hi I am actually attending DYC and am from Buffalo so feel free to message me about towns and stuff to live in!!!
Just put my deposit down. I'm hoping to live somewhere close enough to walk everyday. Is that reasonable with the weather? Good enough area to live in?

ALSO! Do people ever commute from Buffalo to work in Canada?

Just put my deposit down. I'm hoping to live somewhere close enough to walk everyday. Is that reasonable with the weather? Good enough area to live in?

I’m hoping to live close enough to campus to walk to! I heard elmwood area is close and fairly inexpensive but I haven’t looked around yet

I’m hoping to live close enough to campus to walk to! I heard elmwood area is close and fairly inexpensive but I haven’t looked around yet
Elmwood village is my favorite part of Buffalo, my best friends live in the middle of the village. Its a good college area.

People do commute to Buffalo from Canada but I wouldn't suggest it, you would need a passport and need to pay a toll every time you cross the border, plus it gets extremely backed up... Fargo street has alot of apartments available which is walking distance from DYC but its kind of a rough area, but I also know a bunch of people who live there and have no issues

Hi everyone, I'm currently a MS1 in the OT program at D'Youville. Feel free to reach with any questions!!! Congrats on your acceptances!

Hi everyone, I'm currently a MS1 in the OT program at D'Youville. Feel free to reach with any questions!!! Congrats on your acceptances!

Hello! Are you enjoying the program so far? I heard that we get summers off, is that true? Thanks for answering!!

Hello! Are you enjoying the program so far? I heard that we get summers off, is that true? Thanks for answering!!

I like it- the program is challenging but the professors and students are so encouraging! If you don't know how to study brush up on some techniques because you need to have great self discipline to succeed in the program.

Yes, you do get summers off. You have the option to take anatomy/kinesiology this summer and if you have the opportunity I definitely recommend it. It lightens your course load for the fall and makes your first semester so much easier to navigate.

After your first year you have the option to take 1, two or no classes over the summer (summer 2020). These classes are online and if you don't take them you take online during the sping/ fall 2020 semesters. I'm taking the online courses over the summer just to lighten my course load during the school year.

Your second summer (2021) you will starting your Fieldwork II in June so you do not get that summer off unfortunately.

Hope this helps! Let me know if there are any other questions!

I like it- the program is challenging but the professors and students are so encouraging! If you don't know how to study brush up on some techniques because you need to have great self discipline to succeed in the program.

Yes, you do get summers off. You have the option to take anatomy/kinesiology this summer and if you have the opportunity I definitely recommend it. It lightens your course load for the fall and makes your first semester so much easier to navigate.

After your first year you have the option to take 1, two or no classes over the summer (summer 2020). These classes are online and if you don't take them you take online during the sping/ fall 2020 semesters. I'm taking the online courses over the summer just to lighten my course load during the school year.

Your second summer (2021) you will starting your Fieldwork II in June so you do not get that summer off unfortunately.

Hope this helps! Let me know if there are any other questions!

Yes, thank you so much! That is super helpful. Do you feel like the financial aid office is helpful?
Also, apart from the program, do you have any tips for someone who has never been through a Buffalo winter? Haha.

Yes, thank you so much! That is super helpful. Do you feel like the financial aid office is helpful?
Also, apart from the program, do you have any tips for someone who has never been through a Buffalo winter? Haha.

To be completely honest financial aid has not been helpful for me. I have been in several times to talk to them but they always seem to mess up my aid and never got back to me regarding one of my outside scholarships. I found a GA position through the school which helped lower the costs a bit but I had to search for this completely on my own. However, this is just my experience I'm sure they have been super helpful to other people.

I've lived in NY my whole life- I'm actually from Syracuse (which has worse winters) so I'm not exactly the person to ask about this haha. I would say invest in a nice pair of warm boots (do not buy the typical ugg boots they will give you no traction when it is icy) as well as a warm jacket (I prefer knee length). It honestly isn't that bad but being close to the lake in combination with the wind can make it feel cold. If you don't feel comfortable driving in the snow try to live within walking distance of campus or live with someone who feels more comfortable driving. My friend in the program is from LA and she survived and actually enjoyed the snow, so you can do it!

Hi!! I was wondering which classes you take your first semester

Your first semester you will be taking:
OT 501: OT Process & Theoretical Foundations I: This is a 2 hour lecture that focuses on the history of OT, what OT is, introduces you to the OT practice framework and different theory models. It may sound intimidating but this is an easy course that really lays the foundation for upcoming semesters.

OT 506: Occupational Development I: This class is broken up into a 2 hour lecture, 2 hour lab, and at least 1 hour of online work a week. You will be learning about normal human development from birth to adolescence. This class has a lot of busy work but it's straightforward and you get to do a lot of fun things such as visit a preschool.

OT 509: Medical and Social Conditions I: This is a 2 hour lecture that focuses on childhood diseases/ disabilities. If you have taken abnormal psych a lot of this information should be straightforward.

OT 514: Interpersonal Skills: This class is broken up into a 1 hour lecture and 2 hour lab. Basically they are giving you skills to communicate with others- much of the information you are given is common sense but you have to implement it in role-play situations. \

OT: 519: Functional Anatomy: This class is divided into 2 components; an anatomy aspect, and a kinesiology aspect. For anatomy you have two 1 hour lectures and two 2 hour labs (cadaver lab) each week. For kinesiology you take a two hour lecture and a two hour lab each week.

OT 521: Fieldwork Seminar I: This is a one hour lecture that meets sporadically throughout the semester that gives you information about fieldwork I and II.

Hope this was helpful!

To be completely honest financial aid has not been helpful for me. I have been in several times to talk to them but they always seem to mess up my aid and never got back to me regarding one of my outside scholarships. I found a GA position through the school which helped lower the costs a bit but I had to search for this completely on my own. However, this is just my experience I'm sure they have been super helpful to other people.

I've lived in NY my whole life- I'm actually from Syracuse (which has worse winters) so I'm not exactly the person to ask about this haha. I would say invest in a nice pair of warm boots (do not buy the typical ugg boots they will give you no traction when it is icy) as well as a warm jacket (I prefer knee length). It honestly isn't that bad but being close to the lake in combination with the wind can make it feel cold. If you don't feel comfortable driving in the snow try to live within walking distance of campus or live with someone who feels more comfortable driving. My friend in the program is from LA and she survived and actually enjoyed the snow, so you can do it!

I appreciate you so much! All of your answers are incredibly helpful.

Can you guys share your stats? I might plan to apply for next cycle. Thanks

Can you guys share your stats? I might plan to apply for next cycle. Thanks
University: BMCC (AA), Hunter College (BA 2014), LaGuardia CC (Post-Bacc)
Major: Film
Overall GPA: OTCAS 3.45
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7 - 3.9
GRE: Didn't take

Extra-Curric: Chinese Christian Fellowship (Vice Pres'13 & Secretary '12), Panel Speaker for Language as Social Justice Conference ('17)

Work Exp: A&P Tutor (2 yrs) Media Prod Team (5 mos) Swimming instructor (2 yrs), After-school tutor (3 yrs), Freelance photographer/videographer

LOR: 1 OT & 2 Professors

Volunteer: 50 hrs Outpatient Peds/Adult, 58 hrs SNF, Sunday School Teacher & other roles at church, (8 yrs), Videographer at Christian Camp (3 yrs), Soup Kitchen (1 yr), Art/music therapy assistant for peds w/ special needs (2 mos)

Do you or any of your classmates have a job?

Do you or any of your classmates have a job?

Yes, I have a graduate assistant job at D'Youville where I work about 15 hours each week. A few students in my cohort have jobs such as working in offices on campus or babysitting. It's obviously harder to work when your in school but I felt it was necessary so I wasn't going completely broke. If you are looking for jobs, find something that is flexible and try not to work over 15 hours each week.

I'm curious, are you any of you guys going to take anatomy in the summer?

are any of you going to the orientation from NYC?

Looking for a female roommate!! Hoping to find an apartment close enough to campus to walk!

I created a Facebook group under D’Youville Masters of OT ‘22 and the profile picture is the spartan!

Reactions: 2 users