D'Youville College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xtremespeed66

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have been invited to an on-campus interview for D'Youville College of Pharmacy. I am nervous and at the same time unsure about the interview. First of all there is barely any information I can find about the college and the pharmacy program other than the school website itself. SDN barely has any posts about the school and most of them are negative. However, these posts were back in 2008-09 when the school was still relatively new. The school has been given candidate status so it is obviously been doing well than why can't I find any posts about the school or information other than the school website itself. SDN does not have D'Youville College in their interview feedback section either. If anyone has attended an interview, or is a student at the College, Can you please give me some general information such as if it is a good school, information about the interview process etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a friend who interviewed here and said he really liked it. From what I heard you have your didactic classes for 2 months and the next two weeks you will be on rotations at anywhere in the states. As for the interview, you will be placed in a room by yourself and you will have interviewers coming in and out to ask you one question. Each interviewers will have one question for you, so they ask then leave for the next one to come in (about 6 if i remembered correctly). Of all his choices, hes leaning toward this one. This is a fairly new school and I believe they are a candidate, just waiting for their first class to graduate. For what it is good luck on your interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had an interview invite here as well. I did not end up going. Funny enough the school I did interview, one of the other interveiwees went to D'youville's. She said it was 6 stations. You get one question and different faculty in each. I think its suppose to get a read for your personality and an idea of how you think on your feet. I beleive the last station was a group one where you talk in a group and then write an essay. I'd definitely say have the why pharmacy and why dyouville down. Sounds like you just need to be yourself. The school's picture look really nice. The facilities look new. I remember on the website they had a student doing rotation out of the country. I thought that was pretty cool. Had it not been that they require both terms of physics, I would of definitely accepted the interview. I was dumb and didn't read their pre reqs ahead of time in detail.

How did you guys get the interview invite? I still have not heard anything from them.

How did you guys get the interview invite? I still have not heard anything from them.
I received an interview invite via email the second or third day after pharmcas sent out apps

I had interview on friday and got acceptance letter a week after.
I sent my deposit and acceptance letter to them.
I probably go there if no other school accepted me.

I had interview on friday and got acceptance letter a week after.
I sent my deposit and acceptance letter to them.
I probably go there if no other school accepted me.

If you don't mind telling, when did u apply? I have applied too but haven't heard anything back ? I have tried emailing them couple of times but they didn't not answer my questions.

Thanks

Just got my interview invite today.

hey i got an interview invite for March 8, 2012. anyone have any advice or heads up for the interview process?

hey i got an interview invite for March 8, 2012. anyone have any advice or heads up for the interview process?
It is very laid back. Do not stress. They are excited to have you there and are trying to get to know you. You meet their academic criteria thus you are invited to their interview. It is closed file and the interviewers know nothing about you except what you tell them through their questions. You are there for the interview to make sure you are compatible to what they are looking for in a student to represent their school. They also want to make sure that you are compatible with them. They are open to any questions, and remember that you are also interviewing them. The interview process is sort of lengthy but a one on one and feels very personal but very short at the same time. I know that statement makes little sense but you will understand more without me giving away too much information. It will probably be the best interview you will ever have based on how it is structured.

thanks for your reply. another question, i read somewhere that during the interview you are in a room by yourself and 5 interviewer come in and ask you a different scenario type question, it that true? if so would you mind giving me an example of the type question you were given? also if the interviewers are coming in and out of the room when would i have time to ask questions. also how many people were in your interview group? also have you been accepted already? so for all the question, but i would greatly appreciate it if you can help me out.

thanks for your reply. another question, i read somewhere that during the interview you are in a room by yourself and 5 interviewer come in and ask you a different scenario type question, it that true? if so would you mind giving me an example of the type question you were given? also if the interviewers are coming in and out of the room when would i have time to ask questions. also how many people were in your interview group? also have you been accepted already? so for all the question, but i would greatly appreciate it if you can help me out.
I think there were six of us in my group. That isn't a lot but considering that there is a morning and afternoon group, they do interviews on multiple days of that week like two or three, couple weeks later do a few more days it adds up. You are asked a question by an interviewer and then you have i believe 10 minutes to gather thoughts, process, and respond. If you finish before 10 minutes you are free to ask them pretty much anything regarding them and what their role is in the school. After the 10 minutes it rotates to another interviewer. If you have specific curriculum or program question you will talk to Dr. Marasco before and after the interview. Questions can range from scenario to personal, plus I'm not sure if they use different questions throughout the interview cycle.
I kept in contact with another interviewee in my group who had gotten accepted two weeks after our interview. I didn't hear back for another 12 days on top of that in which to my surprise I found out I was accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
An example would be: "A man from a third world country comes in (or calls) who has been tested and is HIV positive, and he is angry because someone from the pharmacy called his house and his wife answered when he wasn't home and the pharmacy told his wife that 'his medication' was ready. He is also upset and says 'i had to lie to my wife and tell her that the medication was for hypertension and now she is worried.' What would you do?" This was one of my interview questions I had once when I interviewed there. You will have time to ask each interviewer questions. They are faculty/professors at the school of pharmacy. They are very passionate about their work and if you are familiar with pharmacy, therapeutics, pharmacology, or research then this is a good opportunity to show that you can professionally relate to the faculty. It's not expected that you know much, but if your question dictates a response that is about something specific it will at least be beneficial for you to know something. In other words, ask questions that have answers that you are prepared to interact with. The interview is lengthy, but it is one of the best interview experiences you will have.

The interview is so stress free. I actually enjoyed it! All of the faculty and staff are amazing and very welcoming. I was very impressed with the school as well as the current students. From what I can recall, the first portion of the interview was a "debrief", followed by the actual interview portion. Each of the interviewees received their own room and the faculty moved from room to room. I was given 6 questions: two pharmacy situations and four questions where they just wanted to get to know me: tell me about yourself/ something interesting/ what you want them to know about you/ leadership experience etc. They are really interested in getting to know you. So be yourself! After that we did the group exercise. I liked it because my group made it very interesting I guess. Don't stress! Good Luck!! :)

Oh and I interviewed on a Thursday and got my acceptance letter the following Friday. I live in Buffalo so it may have just got to me quicker than most.

thank you so much corsair03, kwiz and pharmDDee for your responses. sorry but more questions and i am really nervous, im flying into buffalo so i really want to do well. so the four "get to know you" questions are they the type you would get at a normal one or one/panel. when ive done my "tell me about yourself" question ive answered it within two minutes, so would the interviewer just sit there and look at me or does he/she try to engage in a conversation with me? would they ask me why i want to do pharmacy or why i want to attend d'youville?

One question asked two goals for your career if pharmacy school didn't work out. Another one asked something along the lines of what would you like to do/accomplish with your career in pharmacy. They might ask if you have any questions, which you should have at least one, but if you don't or when you're done they'll initiate the end of that conversation and then you'll wait for the next faculty member to come in. Last "question" (#6) is a group project/response and it doesn't matter what it's about, because they're really trying to judge how well you are at contributing to a group. I wouldn't go into ass kisser mode or my way or the highway mode here, just more thinking alternative meanings that are original and helpful to the group's decisions. Probably will not be based on anything from any classes, so just contribute by giving pros and cons of certain things when others fail to consider those things.

I had my interview last Thursday and called in today to find out that I was accepted. Just like everyone else has said, calm down and just be able to express yourself. Obviously you should know why you want to do pharmacy, but you don't really need to prepare or engineer any answers for questions.

I think that the people who have interviewed before here (corsair03, kwiz and pharmDDee) are letting out a little too much information... While I may have really appreciated to be able to see these questions before my own interview, they have these questions as a secret for a reason: to be able to see how applicants can engage in conversation about various topics and themselves on the spot.

I had my interview last Thursday and called in today to find out that I was accepted. Just like everyone else has said, calm down and just be able to express yourself. Obviously you should know why you want to do pharmacy, but you don't really need to prepare or engineer any answers for questions.

I think that the people who have interviewed before here (corsair03, kwiz and pharmDDee) are letting out a little too much information... While I may have really appreciated to be able to see these questions before my own interview, they have these questions as a secret for a reason: to be able to see how applicants can engage in conversation about various topics and themselves on the spot.

hmmm :( I guess i didn't think I was letting out too much information because of the interview feedback portion sdn provides-- all of the questions (specifically) I have been asked at other interviews I attended have shown up on there. I guess I just feel extra compassionate for nervous people :( my badddd

Had my interview this past Friday with D'Youville and I feel like it went very well. It was very stress free. I was just wondering if anyone has interviewed with D'Youville has not been accepted? Just trying to figure out their acceptance rate of those who received and attended the interview? Hoping for the best, but need to calm my nerves lol

Had my interview this past Friday with D'Youville and I feel like it went very well. It was very stress free. I was just wondering if anyone has interviewed with D'Youville has not been accepted? Just trying to figure out their acceptance rate of those who received and attended the interview? Hoping for the best, but need to calm my nerves lol

I had the interview on last Friday too..they are going to have a meeting sometime today and make the decision..so nervous

I had the interview on last Friday too..they are going to have a meeting sometime today and make the decision..so nervous

You should hear back sometime this week. If you would like to list your stats/pharm experience/current school, I know some borderline accepted students from each yeah they've been eligible to take students and I could tell you where you stand in relation to them

~3.0 pre-req
65th comp

and i heard you can call in tomorrow to beverly taggart to find out if you were accepted and dont want to wait. i dont know if i have the courage to call lol

and did you interview in the morning or evening?

I have the afternoon interview..I don't have the courage to call too..omg it's killing me

I have the afternoon interview..I don't have the courage to call too..omg it's killing me

yeah i was in the afternoon as well. im probably going to call in the morning

Congrats! You goin for sure or u still making up your mind with other schools? Last time I checked there wasn't a spot for DYC on the roll call thread, so if there still isn't one in there start it up!

You should hear back sometime this week. If you would like to list your stats/pharm experience/current school, I know some borderline accepted students from each yeah they've been eligible to take students and I could tell you where you stand in relation to them

finally, accepted:love:

When was your interview? I had an interview on March 2nd and called in today to find out the result. maybe you should wait one more week..don't worry

I just declined my interview, hope this helps someone out :)