Dyslexia as Diversity or Challenge or Both?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toogoofy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to brainstorm ideas for the diversity and challenge essays for secondaries.

I think being dyslexic has been a big part of my personal development during the long road to enjoying learning and doing well academically. I was diagnosed as a kid, but didn't use disability accommodations because I wanted to succeed under the same constraints as everyone else. I also think its made me approach problems differently and learn differently than most people.

I'm pretty confident dyslexia would be a decent topic for the challenge essay, but do you think it would work for the diversity essay? And for schools that have both essays, could I use it for both essays and talk about different aspects of it?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be a great topic for the challenge essays.

Reactions: 2 users
I am also dyslexic and was wondering if I should mention it in the adversity/challenge essays or if it would be looked down upon. There was another thread where people were saying they wouldn't recommend people with bipolar or other mental illness to mention it in the essays and I was wondering if people think the same for dyslexia. I have maintained a GPA above 3.5 in college so shouldn't it be seen as having overcome it or have figured out how to deal with it and persevere?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also dyslexic and was wondering if I should mention it in the adversity/challenge essays or if it would be looked down upon. There was another thread where people were saying they wouldn't recommend people with bipolar or other mental illness to mention it in the essays and I was wondering if people think the same for dyslexia. I have maintained a GPA above 3.5 in college so shouldn't it be seen as having overcome it or have figured out how to deal with it and persevere?

well now you guys have to fight over who can use it for the diversity essay or it wont be so diverse anymore !

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

I'm trying to brainstorm ideas for the diversity and challenge essays for secondaries.

I think being dyslexic has been a big part of my personal development during the long road to enjoying learning and doing well academically. I was diagnosed as a kid, but didn't use disability accommodations because I wanted to succeed under the same constraints as everyone else. I also think its made me approach problems differently and learn differently than most people.

I'm pretty confident dyslexia would be a decent topic for the challenge essay, but do you think it would work for the diversity essay? And for schools that have both essays, could I use it for both essays and talk about different aspects of it?
Challenge.
Diversity is what makes you cool.

Reactions: 1 users
well now you guys have to fight over who can use it for the diversity essay or it wont be so diverse anymore !

Lol, it will be for my challenge/adversity essay, not diversity essay. Even if we were both doing it for diversity for the same admission year to the same school, the schools won't mind that both our topics are the same so long as we didn't plagiarize each other.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol, it will be for my challenge/adversity essay, not diversity essay. Even if we were both doing it for diversity for the same admission year to the same school, the schools won't mind that both our topics are the same so long as we didn't plagiarize each other.

I'm an M1 now! I ended up using it for either diversity or challenge depending on the prompts of the school and got 10 interviews, 9 of them ranked in the top 25. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
That's awesome! I went ahead and used it but I turned a lot of my applications kind of late due to family issues I needed to take care of and realized pretty late that the transcript from one of my schools didn't make it in, delaying the processing so I don't think I'm getting anything this year. I'll be sure to turn things early next year, especially since I've pretty much already have the essays done =)

Reactions: 1 users