Dyslexia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pete9698

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have dyslexia and it is causing a lot of headaches and frustration in my freshmen classes. I was wondering how other people with dyslexia deal with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Me too, but a fairly mild case I think. I was diagnosed at 12, and mostly I transpose numbers and letters when I write. I can read just fine, but transpose numbers when I read them if I'm not careful. Basically, I just have to be REALLY careful when doing any kind of calculation! It makes stuff harder, but I've learned to deal with it and haven't had to take any special classes or anything.

But again, I've always believed I have a rather mild case. Your problem may be worse. Do you have trouble reading? As a future doctor, I'm all the more aware of my problem--I double and triple check every number I write down! God forbid I ever make a mistake with a patient's dosage some day!! But really I seem to have it under control now. I routinely recheck calcs, and as I get older I find I rarely if ever make mistakes. Transposing letters is less of a problem, so I still routinely do it when taking notes or writing...Thank goodness for spell-check!

Hey guys, how did you get diagnosed? I have been dealing with this for a long time, but have never had an offical diagnosis. I have learned to live with it. What has helped you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

I work at a clinic teaching people with various learning challenges. A lot of my students are "dyslexic". We have an intensive program where the students come 4 hours a day, 5 days a week for anywhere from 4 weeks to several months. All of the sessions are one-on-one and are tailored specifically to the student's need. The results are amazing. There has been a lot of research done about our programs and it shows that certain areas of the brain are activated post-treatment that were not activated pre-treatment. It sounds like the symptoms you guys are decribing are what are called Symbol Imagery problems. There is a special running on PBS this week (it may already be over, I'm not sure) about the brain, and our clinic (we are nationwide) is featured.

There is extensive testing done before a student starts to identify the specific cognitive function that is impaired. If any of you are interested in learning more about it feel free to PM me. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the advice!
I have the most trouble when it comes to math equations because I can't picture them at all. Reading only becomes hard when I have to do it outloud.
I was diagnosed when I was in 2nd grade by a few special ed teachers.
I had always thought of it as dysablity until this christmas. I got a book called, "the gift of Dyslexia", and it really helped me to understand dyslexia better. In some ways it is actually a good thing to have. A lot of genius had dysleixa. The book is called "The gift of dyslexia", by Ronald D. Davis and I think it is worth looking at.

Pete9698, where would suggest i go to get an offical evaluation. I also have problems with math equations, and incredibly enough a natural tendency to read from right to left. I also transpose letters and numbers. It can be really frustrating at times, especially when taking a timed exam, like the MCAT.

You can get testing done at our clinic. It takes about 4-5 hours but will identify exactly what areas you need help with. One of our programs focuses specifically on what you said, putting ideas into pictures. You described it perfectly. Many people with comprehension difficulties, be it math, reading or even following conversation, don't automatically make pictures in their mind that correspond to the information they are receiving. Look at Lindamood-Bell.com for more info.

Also, with a diagnosis you can get extra time on tests etc. I'm not sure about the MCAT, but I do have a close friend who went through law school and got longer on each test because of his diagnosis. Good luck! :)

Ciardeme, I am not really sure how to get a diagnosis for dyslexia. I luckily got mine in first grade. Ai seems to know a lot about it though so I would go and get it diagnosed somewhere such as her clinic. I know that I got more time on my SAT's.That really came in handy in the math section when the numbers just don't seem to look right. I am not sure but I would believe that the MCAT would give you extra time if the SAT's did. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user