E.D with mediocre grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medic171

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like "am I good enough?", I just wondered if you all think that applying E.D. to MSUCOM is a bad idea with appx. 3.4 average, 3 years paramedic experience, great do rec, mediocre academic recs. I take the MCAT next April so I do not know my scores, but I would guess mediocre like 8-10's. what are your opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

What's the advantage of applying to an Early Decision Program? Doesn't it require an applicant to have higher qualifications?

Oh yeah, if your grades are "mediocre" and you are uncertain if your MCATs will be stellar, I suggest applying under the regular admissions program. It allows you to gain acceptance as early as October and it gives you the option to retake your MCATS in August.

Medic171,

Your credentials sound pretty good with your background. I would suggest trying to find better letters from science faculty. Even if you can only find one stellar letter, it would be great. Perhaps you might have to retake a course at school or something and just really get to know the teacher well and also do well.

As far as early decision. I can see it happening as long as you have better science recs. and your MCAT is at least 30 and above.

For now, I would focus on the science recs. and also nailing the MCAT. You have a lot of time to study. Pick up some review material and hit it hard.