E-mail or snail-mail a letter of interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green912

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are still five schools that I haven't heard from yet so I'm thinking about sending a letter of interest. If I do get an interview it'll most likely be for a waitlist spot, but I'd still like to get some progress going. Luckily I've been accepted somewhere, and will most likely opt to attend there, but now I'm just getting plain annoyed. When I send the letter should it be via regular mail or is e-mail considered appropriate these days? What are some past practice experiences? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've sent mine through regular mail. I debated on sending email since it'll be easier to link them to websites with a lot more info and stuff, but in the end I thought that the old fashioned way was more formal, and i was more comfortable doing it that way.

I've heard one person email, so I don't think it's unheard of.

I sent two snail-mail letters of interest at the beginning of the year. One school rejected me a few weeks later, and the I have heard nothing from the other. I am considering sending an email to the other one, as my stats match up with their averages and I would really like to attend there.

Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, in sending multpile letters of intent, pre-interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone had previously mentioned that emailing a letter and then following up with a hard copy via snail mail might be a good idea. At this point in the game, the email would at least get something into their hands since every day counts. I know nothing about how effective this is.

Early in the year I called SLU and told them that I was very interested in their school and that I'd be in St. Louis in a few weeks. I actually wasn't going to be in the area, but I got an interview request a few weeks later for those dates. Whether or not they were going to interview me anyway, I don't know...but I like to think the little extra push helped.

Originally posted by manicmaven
Someone had previously mentioned that emailing a letter and then following up with a hard copy via snail mail might be a good idea. At this point in the game, the email would at least get something into their hands since every day counts. I know nothing about how effective this is.

Early in the year I called SLU and told them that I was very interested in their school and that I'd be in St. Louis in a few weeks. I actually wasn't going to be in the area, but I got an interview request a few weeks later for those dates. Whether or not they were going to interview me anyway, I don't know...but I like to think the little extra push helped.

SLU is actually the school that I want to attend. I live about 3 miles from the medical campus, so I can't use the "I'll be in town for these days" speech. I guess at this point I have nothing to lose, so I might as well email them.

To whom do you send letters of interest? The Dean of Admissions specifically, the admissions coordinator, or to the admissions committee?

I told my first choice school that it was my first choice at the interview and in my thank-you notes. When fall grades were ready, I sent an update/you're-still-my-first-choice letter by snail-mail. I e-mailed my interviewers to let them know the letter had been sent. I think a snail-mail letter is more professional, although with the state of the postal service (3 of 16 packets of LOR were lost/mis-filed the first time), it certainly doesn't hurt to follow up with a phone call or e-mail.

To whom do you send letters of interest? The Dean of Admissions specifically, the admissions coordinator, or to the admissions committee?

I addressed them to the admissions committee, too, but I heard someone else say it's better to address it to a particular person (eg, the dean of admissions) to make sure it gets read. Either way, it ought to go into your file, so it shouldn't matter.