E-mail Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kkshake

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
People have said that keeping in contact with the schools improve chances of acceptance because it demonstrates your interest in the school....I just don't really know what kind of things to say to them in e-mails?

Members don't see this ad.

Most of my schools have explicitly told me not to email them and to be patient. I think your completed application is enough to let them know that you are interested

Reactions: 3 users
You heard wrong. Probably disinformation from gunners who think that this will actually ruin your chances, which is will.

People have said that keeping in contact with the schools improve chances of acceptance because it demonstrates your interest in the school....I just don't really know what kind of things to say to them in e-mails?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Starting off a sentence with "people have said..." is almost as bad as finishing a sentence with "believe me". Most schools explicitly say don't email them.

Well, I know people who have gotten acceptances after being in continuous contact with the dean.

Well, I know people who have gotten acceptances after being in continuous contact with the dean.

You really think the Dean has time for that crap? News flash, they don't.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like if you're in contact with the Dean, then you probably know the Deal and then you probably wouldn't fall under the "typical applicant" category.

Why would you message someone if you have nothing to say

If you have any updates, you can send them along in the email/letter. Just check to see if the school accepts updates pre-/post-interview. I know of one dean who actually makes an effort to personally respond to updates letters. It's not advisable to send them every week or couple of weeks though. Wait until you've got something substantial - maybe every 6 weeks or so if you've already interviewed and you actually have updates. It lets them know you're still interested in their program.

It's not advisable to send them every week or couple of weeks though. Wait until you've got something substantial - maybe every 6 weeks or so if you've already interviewed and you actually have updates. It lets them know you're still interested in their program.
I can't imagine that even the neediest of schools needs this much communication.

I can't imagine that even the neediest of schools needs this much communication.

Not that they "need" it as much as if an applicant has something substantial to add to application, like publication, significant activity, grades, etc. I'm thinking of one school in particular that welcomes this kind of communication.

Not that they "need" it as much as if an applicant has something substantial to add to application, like publication, significant activity, grades, etc. I'm thinking of one school in particular that welcomes this kind of communication.
GT?

Members don't see this ad :)
The only place I've interviewed at that specifically tells people to keep in contact is Georgetown. They feel that it demonstrates interest your in the school. Students there have told me the same thing. Besides them and other schools who feel similarly, I would avoid sending emails unless you have something significant to add to your application. Admissions people already get bombarded with 100s of emails, so they probably wouldn't appreciate communication that is superfluous in nature.

Starting off a sentence with "people have said..." is almost as bad as finishing a sentence with "believe me". Most schools explicitly say don't email them.
Very Trumpian, the language of champions. Believe me! !

If you have any updates, you can send them along in the email/letter. Just check to see if the school accepts updates pre-/post-interview. I know of one dean who actually makes an effort to personally respond to updates letters. It's not advisable to send them every week or couple of weeks though. Wait until you've got something substantial - maybe every 6 weeks or so if you've already interviewed and you actually have updates. It lets them know you're still interested in their program.

are you referring to an update letter

Refer to prior post quoted above. I'd hope OP writes his/her correspondence as an update letter rather than, "Yo wassup, Dean ______. You catch that Pats game last night? It was siiiicckkkkk."

Refer to prior post quoted above. I'd hope OP writes his/her correspondence as an update letter rather than, "Yo wassup, Dean ______. You catch that Pats game last night? It was siiiicckkkkk."

yeah update letters are pretty much the only ones worth sending. a random email is meaningless. though the value of an LOI is pretty contested here.

Very Trumpian, the language of champions. Believe me! !
This application cycle, believe me, its gonna be yuge.
I love applications, applications are my favorite thing actually.
We're gonna have the best applications ever, so good that we don't get accepted and stay applicants forever.
USA is gonna do applications better than anyone. I'm the best at applications, I've applied for bankruptcy more times than I can count!
Folks, Its gonna be yuge. We're gonna fix america. #Trump2016

/heavysarcasm

yeah update letters are pretty much the only ones worth sending. a random email is meaningless. though the value of an LOI is pretty contested here.

If you're an on-the-fence applicant, then a LOI might help tilt the odds in your favor near the end of the admissions cycle when schools are looking to fill their class. But there's really no way of knowing whether you're right on the fence, so that's why the "value" of a LOI is so hotly contested.

If you had 10 prospective coworkers and 1 of the 10 was incessantly emailing you even though you gave them very explicit deadlines and expectations, would you choose them?

Now multiple both of those numbers by 100-1000.

I think interest letters need to be really unique and genuine to be warranted. Like you should only send one to one school, the one you really had a connection to