E-mailing a Thank You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

U4iA

εὐφορία
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not been sending thank you letters because I find them to be pretty useless. But on a recent interview my interviewer was really insightful. He later told me that he would do everything he could to get me in.

I've written a short letter that I thought I would e-mail to him as .pdf. He is very computer literate. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed many of my thank you notes. I think I would just send it as an email, not a PDF.

i emailed thank you notes too. but to my two top choices, i actually sent cards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you're right.. if it was an attachment I wouldn't have anything to put in the body the e-mail.

what kind of card did you send to your top choices? i guess you would have hand wrote the text. (i have really bad hand writing so I think I should send a typed letter)

I think it is respectful and a little classier to ALWAYS send a thank you note and secondly to handwrite it on a nice card.

I bought nice art cards and hand wrote every single person I interviewed a thank you. I even received a hand written note back from one of them saying congrats and she hopes I accept the offer.

I have absolutely terrible handwriting, but writing just a few lines slowly- still only takes five minutes. It makes a difference (I know people who are faculty interviewers) and it says something about you.

Of course, you should always mention something that references the conversation you had.

I bought the white Crane's paper that you can get at a decent paper shop, and then hand wrote something simple and kind of slightly personal - like the previous poster mentioned.

Paper's best I think and one admissions staff person said that the receivers either keep them (she even said "cherish" them) or they send them back to be kept in the student's file.

The only downside about paper thank you notes (and I absolutely do agree that they're classier) is that they take longer to arrive. If you know the committee is meeting soon, and your application may come up, you're prolly better off with the emails.

Handwritten notes take the cake, hands down. If you're worried about them getting there in a timely fashion, send them priority mail. Write somethign short and sweet and specific to your interviewer.

thanks for the feedback guys.. i guess i'll try to overcome my god awful handwriting/dyslexia..

there's nothing wrong with an email note. chances are they just get printed and thrown into your folder anyway. the application process is expensive enough - no need to spend more on postage just to play the game. the rest of the application process is generally electronic, so why not an electronic thank you?

if it's a school that you felt you REALLY clicked at, then you can send in a written thank you note -- typed or handwritten doesn't matter ...and regular postage is fine. send the thank you within a day or two after the interview while things are still fresh in your head, and well before the committee meets -- then you won't have to spend extra postage on priority mail (which is an absolute waste).