e-mails or paper letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kickbackdude

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do people think it is appropriate to only send e-mails (no paper letters) as follow up communication to programs? It sure seems easier for everyone (us and them). Seems like a no brainer to me, but just curious as to what other people think.

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO a real letter ALWAYS looks better. It gives a better impression, and suggests that you care more.

Showing up for your interview in scrubs after a shift is easy too, but nobody does that (Well actually I did see one applicant who did that, he also refused the free lunch because all of his questions had been answered and he "wasn't hungry").

After spending hundreds of hours debating, traveling and agonizing, as well as thousands of dollars, is it really such a big deal to take 10 minutes and 39cents to send a real letter.

My wife made me send letters (to every person I interviewed with, the PD and the program coordinator--- don't forget the coordinator), and I think it made a difference. After I got in the coordinator told me that it showed my level of interest, and made a definate impression on the selection committee.

I know time and money are short, but make the extra effort, especially to programs you really like.

I agree with EMRaiden, although I must admit I did not follow his/my own advice. At first (okay, the first two interviews), I send out thank you cards to everyone... but then I had a run of VTach I mean 5 interviews in 6 days, and I just didn't do the thank you letters... so I emailed the PD and the program coordinator...

I really do think the PC should be thanked just as much as anyone else. I knwo the PC at the small osteopathic hospital I did my cores at was overworked and seriously underthanked, so I make sure to thank those that do not normally get thanked... and I can tell it makes their day so I'm all about that.

Anyways, I started emailing the PD's/residency directors thank you emails after my interview. I kind of like that because sometimes I"ll get feedback immediately. Sometimes they don't write back. I know it doesn't look as good as a formal letter, but, well, whatever.

Q

On another note-

Some contact is better than no contact.

If we have 2 applicants with identical scores, grades, LOR, .... applicant twins for all practical purposes. But one writes and the other does not, well the one who keeps in touch will get ranked higher.

Now if one applicant is as hot as Quinn that changes everything....:laugh: