E med's future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting COMP next year and I'm interested in emergency medicine. I'm a DPM and I've had some rotations in the ER at L.A. County. I loved it.

My question is does anyone have an idea as to the future of emergency medicine for physicians? I keep hearing about all of these emergency rooms closing in CA and I started thinking about the viability of the specialty in the future.

Does anyone have an opinion?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's unrealistic to think that you could ever get rid of the specialty.

You are always going to need emergency care physicians.

The path of getting to the point to practice in this area may change someday, but the necessity will always be there.

As long as there are cars, motorcycles, fastfood, and the expectation that one should be able to get the care they want when they want it there will be a need for emergency physicians.

Many smaller EDs have closed around the country but that doesn't mean that the need for emergency services is declining. In fact the opposite is true. There will just be more pts being seen in fewer EDs. The need for docs will increase as the numbers in the EDs increase. Plus people are living alot longer. We are going to be emergency physicain/geriatricians in the future!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds good so far...I'm getting much more psyched up!

The problems in California are quite bizarre and are being watched throughout the country on what "NOT TO DO". Virtually the entire country is seeing the ED as a patients "first look"into the hospital, and therefore, EDs are expanding in size and updating equipment etc.
The CA problem is a political/legal/budgeting problem...and ED is NOT an efficient place for primary patient care, therefore it is EASY to lose money in that environment. We are now learning to "move the meat" while still billing for our level of care. It is a balancing act that is new to our profession.

Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous out here. I have an MD ER doc friend who works in Newport Beach (life is tough) and he concurs. He also thinks that there's always going to be a need for ER docs.