Each year in dental school

Discussion in 'Dental' started by FlossFloss, 09.28.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.

Thanks to Crack the NBDE

Thanks to QbankDMD
  1. FlossFloss

FlossFloss

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct place in the forum to ask this question but I figured since most of you are either in or completed dental school, you might be able to provide some insight.

I've heard that 1st and 2nd years are the most miserable, and then it gets much better 3rd and 4th year. Is this true? If we ride out the misery and lack of sleep for the first two years, it'll get better for the latter two? And how easy are we talking? Because if it's less exams and more of practicing the craft, then I have no problem with that.

Last edited: 09.28.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. CleverThought

CleverThought 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm sure it varies school to school, but I know at mine the first two years are mostly classwork - with sim clinic and some patient clinic time mixed in. The third and fourth years are almost exclusively clinic with minimal classwork.

FlossFloss likes this.
  4. sgv

sgv ...crumbling 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    D1 - science
    D2 - preclinic
    D3 - clinic
    D4 - clinic

Last edited: 09.28.14
    AlyssaRof2012 and FlossFloss like this.
  5. doc toothache

doc toothache 10+ Year Member

Dentist
  6. b-rad12

b-rad12

Pre-Dental
    Not a 3rd or 4th year yet, but I've been told every semester is really stressful. It just becomes a different kind of stress once you are in clinic. Also you just get used to the stress eventually and just do it.

FlossFloss likes this.
  7. FlyingSky

FlyingSky 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    3rd year is the worst, your first everything on a real human, stressful and lot of work

1st year is a transition year
    2nd year was fun and kinda easy after you understand how to make a prep lol

Im not a 4th year yet but when you actually know what you're doing it must be more easy IMO

I really dont believe that 1st and 2nd year are harder... I vote 3rd year

Last edited: 10.02.14
  8. jeffity

jeffity 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Depends on the school, and even more on the individual (e.g., if you hate sim lab, D2 might be the worst). After first year here, it's kind of downhill (gets better/easier).

D1 - 85% basic science, 15% dental/sim
    D2 - 85% dental/sim, 15% pharm. D1 was 'harder' than D1, but D2 is MUCH busier with all the projects and rotations...but zero basic science!
    D3 - 90% clinic, 10% class. 3rd year is champion for me. First quarter was rough, but most of that was due to protocol and software stuff. It was kind of mentally exhausting. Feels like zero responsibility. After two years of 1-2 tests each week, it's a couple tests every 5 weeks. Lots of sleep compared to D1 and D2.
    D4 - 90% clinic, 10% class. You have to start dealing with NBDE II, boards, licensing, and interviewing (if applicable).

FlossFloss likes this.
  9. tooth hurty

tooth hurty 7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I thought they were all stressful and it never really gets easy. That said, in my experience:
    2nd year was the worst, just brutal with an enormous number of courses, labs
    3rd year was the best, finally getting to treat patients, although treating patients was also absolutely terrifying at first, and you don't quite have the stresses of requirements or graduation hanging over you.
    1st year is fun because you have a whole bunch of new people to meet, but on the other hand if you're like most of us you're meeting your shortcomings for the first time (either academically or in hand skills)
    4th year was a mixed bag: dentistry starts getting fun and you feel like you can actually do it right for the first time, but you have the horrors of licensing exam, interviewing, and making important life decisions that you haven't had to deal with since you got into dental school.

Upperbyte and FlossFloss like this.

About the ads