EAR PLUGS + MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

together

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All:

This may sound like a stupid question, but are you allowed to wear ear plugs during the MCAT? Shutting out the world of all sound, however discrete, helps me focus on passage reading and recall. I have repeatedly heard affirmatives and negatives in response to this question and thought I would run it by the authorities of SDN for ultimate verification!
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Together

Members don't see this ad.

According to the MCAT Bulletin that comes with the MCAT registration materials, you can't wear earplugs...

Originally posted by ivey:
According to the MCAT Bulletin that comes with the MCAT registration materials, you can't wear earplugs...

Ivey is correct. However, when I took the MCAT last summer, the head proctor surprisingly announced that she would allow the use of earplugs. I immediately lunged for my bookbag and grabbed the pair that I had. My suggestion is to take a pair and see if the head proctor will allow their use. May the Force be with you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I think it is important to stress you should not wear ear plugs unless the proctor specifically says they allow it. Don't try to be sneaky at the risk of having your test voided and your application delayed.

Those must be GREAT earplugs. The few I've used in my college career could never keep noise (e.g., announcements) out. A friend of mine went nuts over his cheesy pair of earplugs and went to Home Depot to buy one of those industrial shop headsets.
smile.gif

W.

I was wondering the same thing.

I know during my last few Diagnostics, there were a great deal of people sneezing, coughing, sniffling, and clearing their throats.

I realize that this is the season for illness and I, for one, would be very upset if I were in a room with 25 people who are all sick.

If you have earplugs along with a digital timer (which I hear they DO allow), keeping track of time as well as being able to block out unwanted noise...I would think that this is OK.

Do they think that the ear plugs can pick up some sort of radio signals to your friend outside reading off the answers?

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

I agree with you "DO wannabe."
smile.gif
However, I was told that the ear plugs would not be allowed, because it is crucial that all students hear all instructions and hear EXACTLY when time is called. However, what it boils down to is it adds to the test anxiety and the MCAT is not only a test of knowledge and test taking skills, but also of who can handle the pressure/environment and still block it out enough to perform well. If it is any consolation, I didn't have problems with the noise of sick people around me. I think in general it would be distracting to the person who is coughing/sneezing/whatever enough to affect their score and they would probably not take the test anyway. However, if you are taking PR/Kaplan, during the diagnostics, there probably will be people doing these things and that may help you to learn how to block them out. Good luck!! The one thing I learned is that this is one thing you really can't control, so just study, learn the material and you will be fine!!

I was actually distracted a lot more by the girl next to me fanaticly flipping pages (for easier questions/paragraphs) than I was by the sniffling & sneezing. I was very close to screaming at her when she finally seemed to settle down 20 minutes into the verbal section.....

BTW...I DID ask her to be quieter with her page flipping when we went on our first break! She still flipped pages, but was MUCH quiter about it during the following sections. I think many people don't even know that they are being distracting (I found myself tapping my teeth with the end of my pencil) so if someone is doing something that bothers you, TELL THEM! Only a real jerk would continue to do it, and if they do, tell the proctor!!!

On another note, I realize people can't help it if they have a cold or whatever, but that's why the wonderful world of medicine has come up with decongestants, nose spray, and the like. If you have a cold on test day, COME PREPARED!!! I'm not saying to make yourself high on Sudafed or something, but at least bring tissues, nose spray, and whatever else you'll need to make yourself AND your neighbors less miserable!!!!
smile.gif