Ear Plugs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aero047

Another among the masses
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you allowed to put on ear plugs during the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

I really rely on ear plugs...always used them during exams in undergrad and for all the practice MCAT's that I took...when I found out a few days before the April MCAT that ear plugs had been restricted during the testing session I was shocked . I found this completely insane and ended up using them anyway. I just kept the earplugs in the entire 6 hours session and I was never approached to take them out (also it was never specifically stated during the exam that earplugs were restricted). If you get the small foam ear plugs that have a relatively low rating you are still able to hear the instructions yet they seem to block out the distracting background noise that can drive you insane and potentially destroy your score. I ended up sitting next to a student that constantly talked to himself (possible split personality disorder) and it didn't stop there...he beat the desk with his pencil nearly every other question. If I didn't have the ear plugs I probably would of strangled the guy. As far as I could tell this is one of those "rules" that aren't really enforced yet I'm sure that depends on the individual who is giving the exam. Good luck

ya but what if your caught with them in the middle of the MCAT, will they take the test away from ya? That would suck to be through it and than be told it doesnt count

Members don't see this ad :)
medtraveler said:
I really rely on ear plugs...always used them during exams in undergrad and for all the practice MCAT's that I took...when I found out a few days before the April MCAT that ear plugs had been restricted during the testing session I was shocked . I found this completely insane and ended up using them anyway. I just kept the earplugs in the entire 6 hours session and I was never approached to take them out (also it was never specifically stated during the exam that earplugs were restricted). If you get the small foam ear plugs that have a relatively low rating you are still able to hear the instructions yet they seem to block out the distracting background noise that can drive you insane and potentially destroy your score. I ended up sitting next to a student that constantly talked to himself (possible split personality disorder) and it didn't stop there...he beat the desk with his pencil nearly every other question. If I didn't have the ear plugs I probably would of strangled the guy. As far as I could tell this is one of those "rules" that aren't really enforced yet I'm sure that depends on the individual who is giving the exam. Good luck

OMG, didn't the proctors tell him anything? for thinking loud?

And then there's that little matter of ethics: it's against the rules, and you knew that, and you did it anyway. Pity those poor slobs who did what they were told and suffered through the noise: clearly they were too honest to deserve the best possible test scores. Bravo.

Shrike said:
And then there's that little matter of ethics: it's against the rules, and you knew that, and you did it anyway. Pity those poor slobs who did what they were told and suffered through the noise: clearly they were too honest to deserve the best possible test scores. Bravo.

Apparently you are unable to read...comprehend...and reply to a post. I stated in my post..."it was never specifically stated during the exam that earplugs were restricted". As far as the ethical dilemma that you so self righteously brought up, it doesn't exactly keep me up at night to know that I used ear plugs during an excessively distracting MCAT session. The administrators of the exam failed to maintain standard testing conditions and therefore I feel no remorse in using earplugs as I was never instructed otherwise. I don't think that you are in any place to tell me that what I did was or was not ethical. We all live by are own code of ethics and there is no question in my mind to the ethical implications of what I did.

it was specifically stated in my examination that ear plugs *ARE NOT* allowed.

i mean, with bluetooth and other wireless technologies, it really wouldn't be hard to have a review tape or something playing. so it makes perfect sense to ban them.

bottom line, don't wear them. if you were caught, they would void your exam AND note that you were voided for breaking the rules.

*ammendment to previous post*
IF it was not explicitly stated that they aren't allowed

medtraveler said:
Apparently you are unable to read...comprehend...and reply to a post. I stated in my post..."it was never specifically stated during the exam that earplugs were restricted". As far as the ethical dilemma that you so self righteously brought up, it doesn't exactly keep me up at night to know that I used ear plugs during an excessively distracting MCAT session. The administrators of the exam failed to maintain standard testing conditions and therefore I feel no remorse in using earplugs as I was never instructed otherwise. I don't think that you are in any place to tell me that what I did was or was not ethical. We all live by are own code of ethics and there is no question in my mind to the ethical implications of what I did.
It was never specifically stated during the exam, but you also said "when I found out a few days before. . ." Sounded to me like you planned on cheating. Moreover, your most recent reply doesn't defend your actions as legal, but as justified despite extralegality. If your point is that they were actually allowed, then you're right, I misinterpreted, and for that apologize.

On the other hand, if your point is, as it certainly seems to be, that everyone gets to decide which rules apply to himself or herself, and to ignore the others if they seem unfair, then I think I have correctly read and comprehended. My reply stands with the same tone as before: You know what you did; I guess it's good that you feel good about it.

The test center may not have said anything, but the AAMC forbids use of earplugs:

"Do not use or take into the testing room beeping, alarm, or calculator watches; timers (other than watches), pagers; cellular phones; books; notes; slide rules, rulers; calculators; cameras; radios; tape recorders; highlighters; colored pens; lapboards/deskboards; or aids of any kind. You may not wear earplugs during the test. The MCAT Program Office, MCAT staff and testing facilities are not responsible for lost or stolen possessions."
(www.aamc.org/students/mcat/essentials04.pdf)

Just thought I'd mention it. The MCAT folks take this kind of thing seriously, since unscrupulous people will use innocent items like earplugs or pencils to cheat. Even if you aren't that type of person, they don't take any chances.

Sounds like a big no no. The proctor has every right to void your exam is you cheat with ear plugs. Learning to ignore distractions during testing is part of learning how to study for the exam- that's one of the first hints any test prep company will give you.

medtraveler said:

OMG OMG OMG U R such a cheat3rrreeRR!! Im tellingg azCOM!

But really, if others are prohibited from using them, you probably shouldn't.