Earliest Time to Reasonably Take Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syncity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm currently a Final Year Med student, about to start Intern Year in July. I was wondering when would you guys consider a reasonable time to take Step III? I was planning on taking it in November of Intern Year ( after 5 months clinical experience). Is this too early?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on several things such as what specialty you're going into, if you plan on moonlighting, etc. For the most part, I would definitely try to take it before January of your intern year. It's nice to get it out of the way and be done with it. I'd especially try to take it early if you're going into a specialty like surgery, ortho, path, rads, etc. where the further into residency you go, the less peds and OB experience you have.

It really depends on several things such as what specialty you're going into, if you plan on moonlighting, etc. For the most part, I would definitely try to take it before January of your intern year. It's nice to get it out of the way and be done with it. I'd especially try to take it early if you're going into a specialty like surgery, ortho, path, rads, etc. where the further into residency you go, the less peds and OB experience you have.

Brilliant - thanks very much.

Would September-October be worth considering in your opinion? Or do you believe one's performance would suffer due to lack of clinical experience?

Brilliant - thanks very much.

Would September-October be worth considering in your opinion? Or do you believe one's performance would suffer due to lack of clinical experience?
I would take it at the end of a month that you have a lighter rotation. I would suggest taking it at the end of a month of anesthesia, ambulatory medicine, etc. rather than a month of surgery, ICU, etc. Whether that month is in the early fall or early spring really won't make much difference.

As far as studying, I did all the UWorld questions (and went back through half the ones I missed) and all the UWorld CCS questions over the course of 2-3 weeks and did decently above average.

I would take it at the end of a month that you have a lighter rotation. I would suggest taking it at the end of a month of anesthesia, ambulatory medicine, etc. rather than a month of surgery, ICU, etc. Whether that month is in the early fall or early spring really won't make much difference.

As far as studying, I did all the UWorld questions (and went back through half the ones I missed) and all the UWorld CCS questions over the course of 2-3 weeks and did decently above average.

Great - thanks again!