djsbaseball2014

2+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey guys,
I'm entering my third year at UCR and am considering their Early Action Program. Basically this program allows UCR students to apply early to the medical school with no MCAT and an sGPA above a 3.4.
The catch is that if accepted you must attend UCR medical school and not apply anywhere else in the upcoming cycle.

Now here is my predicament. I am under my fathers VA benefits which allows me to attend any UC undergraduate or medical school tuition free. Bearing this in mind, I obviously want to try and get into a UC medical school. My question is would this be a wise decision to take up as the application is due April 3rd or should I continue on with my plans of a gap year and then just apply during the normal cycle?

My GPA is above their threshold as my sGPA as of now is a 3.52 and by the time I apply in April it should be up to a 3.61. If all goes according to plan. I have an upward trend in my GPA.

Any advice would be helpful! :)

Apply and if you get accepted, run with it. Your cGPA is pretty low for any UC. As they say, the best medical school in the country is the one that accepts you.

OP
djsbaseball2014

djsbaseball2014

2+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2014
Status
Apply and if you get accepted, run with it. Your cGPA is pretty low for any UC. As they say, the best medical school in the country is the one that accepts you.
Agreed, which is why I might just apply and see what happens. If I don't get in I just continue on with my plans of a gap year. I'm going into my 3rd year so I still have 2 more years worth of grades before my app cycle. Thanks for the advice!

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
It's worth taking a shot. If you get rejected, you can still apply to all UC med schools and get free tuition benefit.
And I never knew about this plan; this is a big and huge benefit/incentive!

Vladimir7

2+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
As they say, the best medical school in the country is the one that accepts you.
hahah so true. My friends keep asking me where I would want to go, I just have to keep telling them that i'll go wherever i'm accepted. Most people don't realize how competitive med schools are. I've been pre-med for a while now and im still struggling with how difficult the medical/health path is.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Even with a 3.61 GPA, you're in no position to be thinking about going to any of the other UCs, especially UCSF and UCSD.

Hence, go with UCR!!!

Hey guys,
I'm entering my third year at UCR and am considering their Early Action Program. Basically this program allows UCR students to apply early to the medical school with no MCAT and an sGPA above a 3.4.
The catch is that if accepted you must attend UCR medical school and not apply anywhere else in the upcoming cycle.

Now here is my predicament. I am under my fathers VA benefits which allows me to attend any UC undergraduate or medical school tuition free. Bearing this in mind, I obviously want to try and get into a UC medical school. My question is would this be a wise decision to take up as the application is due April 3rd or should I continue on with my plans of a gap year and then just apply during the normal cycle?

My GPA is above their threshold as my sGPA as of now is a 3.52 and by the time I apply in April it should be up to a 3.61. If all goes according to plan. I have an upward trend in my GPA.

Any advice would be helpful! :)

OP
djsbaseball2014

djsbaseball2014

2+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2014
Status
@Goro Thank you, I'm strongly considering it just to give it a shot. As mentioned if I don't get in I still have 4th year to get my GPA higher before applying again for my first cycle. Also they do an MMI and traditional interview for the selection process so if anything it is good practice!