Jun 30, 2016
Hi I have received IIs from a bunch of top 10-20s basically the first day batches were sent out I believe because I was complete at most schools very early on (about early - mid July). If top schools like Stanford, penn, Hopkins, Columbia, etc already gave IIs and I was complete early, does that mean I'll eventually get a rejection?

Atom612

7+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Hi I have received IIs from a bunch of top 10-20s basically the first day batches were sent out I believe because I was complete at most schools very early on (about early - mid July). If top schools like Stanford, penn, Hopkins, Columbia, etc already gave IIs and I was complete early, does that mean I'll eventually get a rejection?
I would recommend reading the stickied threads, especially the conventional wisdom compilation. It's commonly repeated that if you don't have any IIs by Thanksgiving, chances are you won't. Until then, however, you just have to be patient.

Reactions: Goro

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Don't a lot of school take a multiple-pass approach, grabbing the superstars first, then going back over some apps later? Not being in the very first group shouldn't be seen as a sign of rejection, I don't think they mark every app yes/no for interview the first time.

Reactions: gyngyn

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Some schools have jumped on your application early but others may be pokey in getting reviews done and II's sent but will eventually get to you and others may have decided that you are not the applicant they are looking for.

Reactions: Goro

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Don't a lot of school take a multiple-pass approach, grabbing the superstars first, then going back over some apps later? Not being in the very first group shouldn't be seen as a sign of rejection, I don't think they mark every app yes/no for interview the first time.
applications are not necessarily reviewed in chronological order or invited for interview at time of review. Superstars, linked programs, associated UG institutions, URMs and others may be pulled early in the process. At pre-interview review you may get evaluated on all parts of application (think broad categories like AP exam from extremely well qualified down extremely unqualified). When these get added up they essentially become your interview priority. So you may get reviewed in August but priority doesnt get you invited until February